• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever have no idea what job they were interviewing for?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I had this happen to me last year. I'd applied for a job in June or July. I keep a "jobs applied for" log, but in August, my hard drive crashed. In November, on a Friday, I get a call to come and interview for a job. I try to fish out the position by asking the caller "this is for the...." and I'm met with silence. I awkwardly end the conversation (in hindsight, I should've just asked then).

I spend about a half-hour trying to run down what vacancy this position is. Google cache is futile. Interview is first thing Monday morning.

I walk into the interview in a suit and tie and am immediately faced with a panel of five people dressed in jeans and polos (yes, this is the first interview). I get drilled for about an hour. I actually managed the interview well, my work experience is broad enough that I know a little about a lot. I can tell one woman detests me, but the other woman likes me, and the guys seem warm.

Then, I blow it. The end of the interview comes and they ask me if I have any questions. I explain the circumstances and then ask what the job was that I applied for. The mean woman rolls her eyes and shakes her head, a couple of guys express admiration for my quick thinking. I lose the second woman though, who tells me I should've been honest about it up front.

Honestly though, things worked out for the best. I got a better job anyway.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that's rough. difficlut situation.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Actually, it's hilarious.
laugh.gif

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You couldn't figure it out based on the address of the place where you were interviewed?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
^Actually, it's hilarious.
laugh.gif

I agree, pretty funny. FLMM, did they at least tell you what the job was?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
You couldn't figure it out based on the address of the place where you were interviewed?

It was a large county government here in Florida. I figured it had to be something in either accounting, auditing, grants/contract management, lobbying or legal. But that was it.

Originally Posted by MrG
I agree, pretty funny.

FLMM, did they at least tell you what the job was?

Yeah. The guys found it funny too. They said it was for senior contract manager in the purchasing department and handed me the job description. I'm sure they still tell the story of the idiot that didn't know what job he interviewed for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads