or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › How can I move from Canada and live in the United States?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How can I move from Canada and live in the United States?

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
I am currently living in Canada, what are the steps for becoming a US citizen? What are the options and how long does it take? Is it easy to become a US citizen if I'm born in Canada?
post #2 of 33
Lots of different ways. Most common: Green card through a job in the US, then go on the path to citizenship (I believe it's 5 years after Green card). Green card through family (or start a new one with an American spouse) Less common: Help the US in a foreign war as a translator, guerrilla, etc. Become a professional athlete Win the Nobel prize or qualify as a similarly exceptional person ...plus other ways. Honestly, there is no huge advantage in the American citizenship application process if you are Canadian, which is a shame, since Canada is very welcoming to Americans who aren't even intending to become Canadian citizens. As a Canadian working in the US I have to jump through a lot of hoops but still won't be treated as anything other than an alien. I pay taxes for benefits that I am ineligible to receive.
post #3 of 33
Stay in Canada. America is full. Besides, we don't have universal healthcare.
post #4 of 33
With NAFTA I believe the TN visa is a very common way for Canadians to move to the US for work. It is a temporary 3 year work visa. http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1274.html Definitely weigh the cost/benefits of actually switching citizenships though. Canadian citizenship is one of the best if you plan on being an expat worker from a taxation and visa-free travel standpoint.
post #5 of 33
Thread Starter 
What if I don't have a professional job? Can I go to the USA and work at starbucks and become a citizen?
post #6 of 33
I suggest you PM Piobaire. He braved the waters of the Detroit river and came out unrecognizably well.
post #7 of 33
I'll tell you if you tell me how I can move from the US to become a citizen of Canada.

I want out dammit.*

*(half joking )
post #8 of 33
There is a lot of info on this topic on the tubes. http://immigrationroad.com/green-car...green-card.pdf
post #9 of 33
How is it possible that your name appears twice in one post?

As far as the Canadian->US citizenship is concerned, you do realize that without USA, Canada would be like Alaska right? This explains why Americans are preferred in Canada.



Quote:
Originally Posted by intent View Post
Lots of different ways.

Most common:

Green card through a job in the US, then go on the path to citizenship (I believe it's 5 years after Green card).
Green card through family (or start a new one with an American spouse)

Less common:

Help the US in a foreign war as a translator, guerrilla, etc.
Become a professional athlete
Win the Nobel prize or qualify as a similarly exceptional person

...plus other ways.

Honestly, there is no huge advantage in the American citizenship application process if you are Canadian, which is a shame, since Canada is very welcoming to Americans who aren't even intending to become Canadian citizens. As a Canadian working in the US I have to jump through a lot of hoops but still won't be treated as anything other than an alien. I pay taxes for benefits that I am ineligible to receive.
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale View Post
I'll tell you if you tell me how I can move from the US to become a citizen of Canada.

I want out dammit.*

*(half joking )

Getting Canadian citizenship is actually pretty easy, you basically just apply. If you speak English (and hopefully some French), have a degree and seem employable, you're in.
post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmt View Post
Getting Canadian citizenship is actually pretty easy, you basically just apply. If you speak English (and hopefully some French), have a degree and seem employable, you're in.

You forgot that you need to be verifiably unemployable, are willing to consider alternative methods of being, and preference will be given if you have a costly but long term chronic disease.


OP, the real answer to your question? Go spend $300 and talk to an immigration lawyer to review your particulars. End of story.
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post
What if I don't have a professional job? Can I go to the USA and work at starbucks and become a citizen?

No. Your employer needs to sponsor you.

If you want the easy route, marry some chick.
post #13 of 33
Our immigration laws are Good luck. I took a course on immigration law in law school and was blown away at how many hurdles we throw up for hardworking, educated people to come here. Any amnesty for illegals should be concurrent with a drastic simplification of our existing immigration laws.
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
You forgot that you need to be verifiably unemployable, are willing to consider alternative methods of being, and preference will be given if you have a costly but long term chronic disease.

Herp Derp but also a little too true for my liking.
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat View Post
How is it possible that your name appears twice in one post
I'm special. See if you can figure it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post
What if I don't have a professional job? Can I go to the USA and work at starbucks and become a citizen?
No. Get a real job. Serious answer: There are many other "professional" jobs that don't require a specialized degree. Google "NAFTA TN status occupation list".
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan View Post
Our immigration laws are Good luck. I took a course on immigration law in law school and was blown away at how many hurdles we throw up for hardworking, educated people to come here. Any amnesty for illegals should be concurrent with a drastic simplification of our existing immigration laws.
Agreed. I'm going to apply for my TN status under the lawyer category this upcoming Monday. Here's hoping I don't run into a power-tripping border guard.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › How can I move from Canada and live in the United States?