or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Do you consider yourself to be a moral person?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you consider yourself to be a moral person? - Page 5

post #61 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheeler View Post
I'm sorry I put my foot in my mouth.

yes i do
post #62 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post
yes i do

Well at least you can admit it. That requires a high level of morals to admit that you make up shit to make yourself feel better.
post #63 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheeler View Post
Well at least you can admit it. That requires a high level of morals to admit that you make up shit to make yourself feel better.

no, when people prove incapabale of having a real disscusion i resort to tomfoolery. catch ya later alligator
post #64 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by HgaleK View Post
I realized today that I'm not a moral person. I don't like hurting people, but otherwise have no issue with dishonesty, stealing, manipulation, etc. It doesn't even have to be to further a goal of mine- sometimes it's just tempting to pocket something or manipulate somebody, or lie simply for the sake of lying.

Seriously, is this really how you feel? Admitting to such actions is one thing, but proclaiming to have no issues with them whatsoever sounds scary and, frankly, makes you sound like a sociopath.
post #65 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
Seriously, is this really how you feel? Admitting to such actions is one thing, but proclaiming to have no issues with them whatsoever sounds scary and, frankly, makes you sound like a sociopath.

Most politicians have no issue with dishonesty, stealing and manipulation. I think it's fair to say that his position is incredibly common in most people and countless industries.
post #66 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
Seriously, is this really how you feel? Admitting to such actions is one thing, but proclaiming to have no issues with them whatsoever sounds scary and, frankly, makes you sound like a sociopath.

How is it scary? I'm probably less hurtful to others than the vast majority of moral people.
post #67 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by HgaleK View Post
How is it scary? I'm probably less hurtful to others than the vast majority of moral people.

I would expect nothing less from an atheist who's a better Catholic than most Catholics!
post #68 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosu3 View Post
I'm referring mostly to extreme moral situations, not trivial examples of relative morality. Studies done on violent criminals reveal those characteristics.

An experiment was conducted where prison inmates were given diets high in Omega 3s and it increased electrical brain activity in the cerebral cortex(?), which is said to be most significant for moral judgement. After increasing cerebral cortex activity, inmates reported less violent thoughts and impulsiveness. But in general you'll find that people who are acting immorally and primarily to benefit themselves have a significant lower level of general and/or emotional intelligence. Brain scans might show decreased activity in the brain.

Here is a similar study:


http://blogs.psychcentral.com/forens...-in-the-brain/

I presume this is just the ones that were stupid enough to get caught.
post #69 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humphrey Appleby View Post
I presume this is just the ones that were stupid enough to get caught.

Well the studies I've seen were prisoners, so yes. I'm sure there's more in depth ones but I haven't researched. Are you implying that violent criminals who are not imprisoned or caught might show different results?
post #70 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by HgaleK View Post
How is it scary? I'm probably less hurtful to others than the vast majority of moral people.

I think its reasonable to assume that those you (may have) lied to, stolen from, or manipulated were probably psychologically hurt, even if they weren't physically damaged.

I also believe that justifying your actions by comparing them to the hurtful actions of others (ambiguous whether they would qualify as moral people or not) is very weak. You cannot make a defense for fraud by saying, "well, other people are committing murder".

Personally, I don't find the notion scary, and believe for certain things you would be considered amoral, not immoral, as your actions would probably be for your own benefit, rather than to be malicious towards others.
post #71 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
Yes, we get it. If you act morally for selfish reasons it isn't very moral. What's your point?

Not quite where I was heading. If acting morally fascilitates moral actions being reflected back to you can you really think of a much better reason to act morally? It's also good for society in general and helps create sound expectations between individuals. Kind of a win all the way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagutcow View Post
It is a bit silly to ask why a person would act morally. They act morally because it is the right thing to do.

Question beg much?
post #72 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Question beg much?

That's why I said it's a silly question. "What is the moral course of action? Why is it the moral course of action?" are the interesting questions. It's such a rich subject matter, and it seems this thread is asking the least interesting questions-- "Do you act morally?" ("Of course, I'm not a monster!") "Why do you act morally?" ("Because it's nice to be nice!")
post #73 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagutcow View Post
That's why I said it's a silly question. "What is the moral course of action? Why is it the moral course of action?" are the interesting questions. It's such a rich subject matter, and it seems this thread is asking the least interesting questions-- "Do you act morally?" ("Of course, I'm not a monster!") "Why do you act morally?" ("Because it's nice to be nice!")

Sorry to have doubted you.
post #74 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Sorry to have doubted you.

I'll fucking stomp your worthless ass into the ground you piece of shit!
post #75 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostFullBenefits View Post
I think its reasonable to assume that those you (may have) lied to, stolen from, or manipulated were probably psychologically hurt, even if they weren't physically damaged.

That's my deal with lying and manipulation. You can do them without damaging people if you're good at what you do. It doesn't make them more things to do, but they aren't necessarily harmful.

Stealing and cheating are the two that somebody has to get fucked over. In the case of cheating, you're taking part in a competitive activity, so somebody is going to get fucked over anyway. In this case you're using whatever 1337 skills you have to beat out the competition. Somebody has to get hurt and in this case it's not you. Stealing really has no justification. It's wrong. There are some things less wrong relative to others, though. Lifting a David Yurman ring from Neiman is less damaging than stealing a college student's backpack full of textbooks and their laptop.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Do you consider yourself to be a moral person?