or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Uniqlo Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Uniqlo Thread - Page 667

post #9991 of 11709
fedex should be here in 3 hours with my cardigans

wore a flannel yesterday and was impressed with its sturdi/robustness these are a must cop
post #9992 of 11709
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetB View Post

Got the same two cardigans, arriving tomorrow. Will post pics.
I thought about trying cashmere, but buying cashmere from Uniqlo just doesn't feel right...I'll stick to the cheaper, disposable stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post

Cashmere feels worse than the merino and is twice the price, I wouldn't bother.  

I actually think the cashmere at Uniqlo is surprisingly good. Especially compared to, say, Theory or another garbage brand like that that's still 3x or 4x the price. This is a great guide to how to spot good cashmere. It's from More Intelligent Life, which is The Economist's arts + lifestyle publication, and it has this to say about Uniqlo cashmere (it's from 2009, hence the reference to +J):

"UNIQLO CREWNECK
Its mid-grey marl has class way beyond its price, with a flattering, lower-than-standard neckline, and a substantial knit. Uniqlo’s range by Jil Sander mixes cashmere with 8% polyamide, but this is the one for purists. From £49.99."

It's also worth noting that good cashmere isn't necessarily the softest right from the start. If you read the article it gets into that. For budget cashmere, though, Uniqlo isn't a bad option.
http://moreintelligentlife.com/content/intelligent-life/sceptical-shopper-cashmere
post #9993 of 11709
Hmm maybe I should try it. My thinking though is that cashmere and budget don't really mix, that if I'm looking for a "luxury" fabric I'd go somewhere other than Uniqlo.
post #9994 of 11709
I have both the cashmere and merino v necks...quality on the cashmere is solid, largely indistinguishable from j crew (loro piana yarn) I got last winter, and at about 1/3 of the price (when j crew was on sale). fit is nice and slim as well (pretty similar to j crew slim fit really)

as to the feel of the cashmere, if you're discerning enough to distinguish cashmere based on hand alone, you wouldn't likely be looking at uniqlo cash in the first place, and what PPPP said--great cashmere doesn't necessarily feel super soft out of the gate
post #9995 of 11709
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck View Post

Especially compared to, say, Theory or another garbage brand...

I'm not sure I get all the Theory hate. Other than the advertisements' Mr Porter-esque styling, or being made 100% in China, as opposed to having the label or whatever sewn on in Italy, they have some good and bad things, same as any other brand. I have a black linen /cotton blazer, for instance, that kicks the shit out of my similar, omg og helmet lang! one. Both are stupid expensive....one just lacks a mystique.
post #9996 of 11709
Derivative and overpriced?
post #9997 of 11709
Quote:
Originally Posted by superego View Post

I have both the cashmere and merino v necks...quality on the cashmere is solid, largely indistinguishable from j crew (loro piana yarn) I got last winter, and at about 1/3 of the price (when j crew was on sale). fit is nice and slim as well (pretty similar to j crew slim fit really)

as to the feel of the cashmere, if you're discerning enough to distinguish cashmere based on hand alone, you wouldn't likely be looking at uniqlo cash in the first place, and what PPPP said--great cashmere doesn't necessarily feel super soft out of the gate

I've not handled it but i can't imagine it to be bad as others have posted, uniqlo is pretty legit. I would cop on sale for like 70 bux if I could since they have colors not offered in efm.

Disagree about the cashmere hand though, I have some jil that is remarkably stellar out of the gate including this chunky 11 ply marbled one.
post #9998 of 11709
Finally got around to trying on the skinny tapered fit jeans and was not disappointed. Sized up and fit was great, loose top block and tapered down the leg. Also, I don't know what difference 2% elastane makes but they were pretty comfy.
post #9999 of 11709
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post


Disagree about the cashmere hand though, I have some jil that is remarkably stellar out of the gate including this chunky 11 ply marbled one.

Yeah, I think when you're talking something at that level it's going to start great and only get better. Guess it's more that softest in store doesn't necessarily equal best all the time.

Uniqlo definitely isn't like top of the line or anything but if you're looking for cashmere in that price point it's tough to beat. I'm actually not crazy about a lot of their stuff but I do like the knit quality generally.
post #10000 of 11709
agreed

so i got the two chunky cardigans and they are more chunky than i was expecting, some nitpicks i'll get to but i gotta say its frustrating that they don't make any midweight cardigans, efm and cashmere are thin while these are too thick...then there's the lambswool which is cropped so that leaves me assed out

as sf's resident purveyor of fine knitwear here are my issues with the thicker uniqlo ones i've had experience with (no expectations of fabric in the critique below)
-mediums are too fitted, larges are too large and i mean way too large they essentially cut out anyone who is a 40-42
-sleeves are too baggy on the large even on my swole arms
-cuffs are too large, keep sliding over my hands
-shoulders are dropped, can't have this on such a thick knit usually
-the knitwork has no tension, this is a sign of cheap quality like all mall brands you can pull the knit several inches in any direction (the grey stand up collar is especially bad with a limp collar) it's just all over the place and doesn't hold its shape

debating on keeping as a beater smoking cardigan but may just return, could have avoided if there was a uniqlo here

the navy one is better, fabric is smoother but the shoulders/arms just look too big so i have to think about this for a day or so to figure out what i want to do

seems every time i go for a chunky cardigan i'm disappointed, last year copped the linen one and same issues so going forward i will avoid those
post #10001 of 11709
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

I've not handled it but i can't imagine it to be bad as others have posted, uniqlo is pretty legit. I would cop on sale for like 70 bux if I could since they have colors not offered in efm.

Disagree about the cashmere hand though, I have some jil that is remarkably stellar out of the gate including this chunky 11 ply marbled one.

don't disagree with your second comment

speaking of, when did you get that jil knit? I've been trying to get into some jil or margiela stuff, but any time I see it and/or try it on the last couple seasons, I'm totally underwhelmed, at least at the pricepoint
post #10002 of 11709

Being in the market for some casual flannel shirts, I stopped by at Uniqlo after reading praise around here.

I was kind of underwhelmed by the fit (I m tall and felt that they cut more for a smaller (japanese) demographic), thickness of the fabric (ok at that price point) and prints.

Picked a RRL cotton shirt up instead. Quality of course is way better but that is expectable comparing prices: 189 - 29$

I think it really depends weather you are on a tight budget or not. If that is the case I think you can find some nice high quality stuff at a thrift shop at Uniqlo prices near you.

In general I liked the Uniqlo store and their basic approach. 

post #10003 of 11709

Any idea/speculation as to when Uniqlo is coming to the other parts of the country? I'm from the Midwest and I can see Uniqlo making it very big here.

post #10004 of 11709
Quote:
Originally Posted by superego View Post

don't disagree with your second comment

speaking of, when did you get that jil knit? I've been trying to get into some jil or margiela stuff, but any time I see it and/or try it on the last couple seasons, I'm totally underwhelmed, at least at the pricepoint

all my jil is raf era from 07-09, couple '10 pieces
post #10005 of 11709
Uniqlo is opening a store in my mall frown.gif. I'm completly discouraged now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Uniqlo Thread