• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC Finance Internship/Job?

stayclassy

Reaction score
Hey guys I am looking for an internship in New York that I can start in January/ February 2012, preferably something with a tuition reimbursement plan so I can finish up my schooling . I am currently a Junior at NMSU studying Finance (3.8 GPA past semester, 3.5 cumulative). I am aspiring to be a Trader and have been immersing myself in the field over the past several months. I am currently an Intern at Portfolio Asset Management, I will be there until December and I am trying to get a start on where to go next. If you guys can help me out or even just point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Hell, even if you can help me build some connections on my new LinkedIn page I would be grateful. Thanks Brandon

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
You have a lot of reading to do at WallStreetOasis. Try reaching out to alumni that are working in trading and see if you can meet up with them for lunch. Be prepared with questions. Smart ones.

stayclassy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper
emerging yourself in the field?

sorry I felt like something was wrong reading through it, just couldn't pin point it... thanks

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should've posted something like this a while ago, but my interest in my Finance major is quickly waning.

Bad thing is I'm a junior this September. I'd love it if I could speak to somebody on here who's in the Finance world, but I have no clue where or with whom to start.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
trading is a tough gig - not speaking from experience.

my best friend's brother is at a trading desk and he's the only one to survive four years of shuffling in a group of 5 traders. everyone else was given the boot and the average duration of stay for each trader is less than a year because they don't make the firm enough money -- that, or they lose the firm money. he said that over the span of four years, they've gone through 40 different traders.

apparently he is a rainmaker. all about dat dere PnL.

the hazing stories he's told me about his beginning years in finance.. wow. amazing.

meph

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper
I'll be in banking at one of GS, MS, JPM starting this month. Stay strong! I'll be happy to answer any questions.

I've got a question - if I buy something from your sale thread will you pass my resume to your MD?
wink.gif

@OP: check out http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/ ; I believe they have a FAQ section now which has almost everything you'll need to learn in terms of recruiting and how to best position yourself. You've already got a solid step in the right direction with the internship though, so you're doing something right. Also, as said above, check out WSO but be sure to pay attention to what's bs and what isn't - it takes some time to be able to do this, but when you can filter out the useless trolling it's an excellent resource.

When you say currently a junior, do you mean a rising junior or rising senior?

stayclassy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meph
I've got a question - if I buy something from your sale thread will you pass my resume to your MD?
wink.gif

@OP: check out http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/ ; I believe they have a FAQ section now which has almost everything you'll need to learn in terms of recruiting and how to best position yourself. You've already got a solid step in the right direction with the internship though, so you're doing something right. Also, as said above, check out WSO but be sure to pay attention to what's bs and what isn't - it takes some time to be able to do this, but when you can filter out the useless trolling it's an excellent resource.

When you say currently a junior, do you mean a rising junior or rising senior?

Rising Junior, however I am currently taking summer courses as a Junior.

Yachting Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
check out wallstreetoasis.com

^ This.

I've been in investment banking for over 25 long and sleepless years. I've worked at both a traditional Swiss boutique in Switzerland and BB banks in London and NY.

From experience be advised:

I have yet to find a person who gets into this line of work because they love it. People do it for either the money, power or the future prospects it grants (exit strategy).

If you plan on getting married and having kids I hope you have an exit strategy. In this field for the first four or five years it is safe to assume you will cut all ties with family and friends. Reaching VP level doesn't help much in this department either. Stick to it and you can make MD after maybe 15 years if you're lucky (the hours are still horrible).

Just remember the higher you climb the more stressful it becomes.

Best of luck.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You must be rich as ****, though.

Do you have any exotic cars?

Yachting Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
You must be rich as ****, though.

Do you have any exotic cars?

Just because one is rich in a monetary fashion does not enrich their life nor does it make them happy. Frankly, I don't consider myself rich in any fashion.

The things in life worth having are things you cannot buy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads