or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Next generation of Macbook Air?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Next generation of Macbook Air? - Page 2

post #16 of 49
Next summer I'll be buying an 11" MBA for med school (along with a new iPad), so I'll be keeping an eye on the market these next 12 months. And the buyer's guide on macrumors is an awesome tool for stuff like this.
post #17 of 49
I am liking my 15" MBP but I really wish I had gotten an 11" Air, because the 4 times I've gone outside with my computer it's been a fucking bitch to carry, it's the heaviest computer I've ever owned it feels like - and I had one of those really gay looking two-tone iBooks about 11 years ago, and traveled with it frequently. By the end of summer I think I am gonna get an iPad2 and the keyboard (which I don't have on my iPad 1 and it probably keeps me from doing any actual work on it) in lieu of the Air.
post #18 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post
I am liking my 15" MBP but I really wish I had gotten an 11" Air, because the 4 times I've gone outside with my computer it's been a fucking bitch to carry, it's the heaviest computer I've ever owned it feels like - and I had one of those really gay looking two-tone iBooks about 11 years ago, and traveled with it frequently. By the end of summer I think I am gonna get an iPad2 and the keyboard (which I don't have on my iPad 1 and it probably keeps me from doing any actual work on it) in lieu of the Air.
I am having exactly that dilemma now...macbook air vs ipad....and I am leaning towards the air. Isn't an ipad and keyboard basically the same as an air anyways?
post #19 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post
all i do is watch movies, use itunes, word processing, email, and very basic stuff.

i dont need all this horsepower for such tasks. also, the 13 overheats a lot faster than the 11.

it's not something i noticed since i bought this in the winter, but now that i use my air in the moist, hot air of summer, it overheats frequently. i dunno if you've heard the fan of a 13" air, but it sounds like a jet engine.

i really didn't need to spend 1800 on this.. damn. i could've spent roughly half that.

You could make due with an iPad if that's all u do.
post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post
I am liking my 15" MBP but I really wish I had gotten an 11" Air, because the 4 times I've gone outside with my computer it's been a fucking bitch to carry, it's the heaviest computer I've ever owned it feels like - and I had one of those really gay looking two-tone iBooks about 11 years ago, and traveled with it frequently. By the end of summer I think I am gonna get an iPad2 and the keyboard (which I don't have on my iPad 1 and it probably keeps me from doing any actual work on it) in lieu of the Air.

hah. the 15" mbp is lighter than the clamshell ibooks
post #21 of 49
I just sold my 15" macbook pro and bought a 13" Macbook Air totally maxed out on hardware. When I told the guy that is what I wanted he kept pushing me to buy an ipad and telling me I was wasting money. I disagree. You can do a lot more with a real computer than you can an ipad, espcially as far as microsoft office is concerned. Plus, I hate touch screens and I am not really into "apps" or games or whatever. I love my Air.

As far as heating up, I haven't had an issue. I've never even heard the fan. If it is on a desk there is no problem because it is raised slightly on its corner thingies, however if you have it on a bed or something the bottom can't breathe, that might be peoples problem.
post #22 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter View Post
I am having exactly that dilemma now...macbook air vs ipad....and I am leaning towards the air. Isn't an ipad and keyboard basically the same as an air anyways?

I wouldn't get a MBA to replace any computer, and you'd need something more substantial at home, or at least a monitor and keyboard to hook it up to (and a desk space I guess), and be okay with mediocre speeds on some things maybe - but I have a few computers at home already and 90% of the time I sit at the kitchen table, 9% in bed, and 1% I take it out or travel with it, so I need a decently sized laptop to keep my eyes from imploding...

MBA if you need to use real computer functions and software when on the road, for sure.

The iPad kinda sucks on its own for me, I really do not use it. Probably a case of me having computers around the house already and an iPhone in my pocket all the time, and I really hate touch typing, I dislike auto-correct but need it enough to not turn it off, and I got a wifi model because I am already in on three 3G contracts here and didn't want to f around with it.
However, what has me sold on the iPad2 is that when I get to Japan, that's the exact size I need to work on for mail, and I'd just buy it on the Softbank installment plan+bill (it's like 5000Y a month or something right? If I put the keyboard on it, it'd work out a lot better and I'd be more likely to use it outside of the house.

I guess the one nice thing is though, the iPad is good for kids, tons of entertainment and learning stuff you can get in whatever languages as well, so big boon for you there. No extraneous stuff for them to bang on or break, it's just a simple form factor with an interface probably better for kids than adults. If I had kids I'd have them all loaded up with the requisite Disney movies and a pair of earphones so that they can watch their movies 1034924923 times on their own, and then when they get tired of that there's enough apps and kids games to last them til they graduate and move out.
post #23 of 49
How is a Macbook Air not substantial? Mediocre speeds? Why anybody needs more than 2.2g processor and 4GB ram is beyond me.
post #24 of 49
If you did any type of video, photo, or serious programming work, that bitch would be slow as a turtle.
post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post
How is a Macbook Air not substantial? Mediocre speeds? Why anybody needs more than 2.2g processor and 4GB ram is beyond me.

I have the 2.0Ghz quad-core i7 with 4GB's of ram and I still find some of my very occasional photoshop work to be slow and would like a RAM upgrade - the Airs have significantly less processor and I probably wouldn't try it on the Air to begin with, though I realize not everybody needs to use photoshop, so to me an Air would only be marginally more useful as an iPad as a real computer, and just as, for what I'd use it for. I have a 2.2Ghz core duo Macbook as well with the 2GB's of ram, and it wasn't fun doing Photoshop on that thing.
post #26 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post
I just sold my 15" macbook pro and bought a 13" Macbook Air totally maxed out on hardware. When I told the guy that is what I wanted he kept pushing me to buy an ipad and telling me I was wasting money. I disagree. You can do a lot more with a real computer than you can an ipad, espcially as far as microsoft office is concerned. Plus, I hate touch screens and I am not really into "apps" or games or whatever. I love my Air.

As far as heating up, I haven't had an issue. I've never even heard the fan. If it is on a desk there is no problem because it is raised slightly on its corner thingies, however if you have it on a bed or something the bottom can't breathe, that might be peoples problem.

Same. I can't imagine typing an essay on an iPad. It's too big to be portable, and too small to be used as a full-sized laptop replacement. Awkward, really. I don't see any use of an iPad, or any other tablet, for that matter.

And I do use my computer on my bed 99.9% of the time, so I'm sure that's the reason why it heats up so easily and frequently. But with the 11", it wouldn't heat up on the bed either. I simply don't need a maxed out air.

Anyone want to buy mine? I'm getting a free battery replacement this week from Apple
post #27 of 49
The thing with the iPad, is that it needs another computer with iTunes to support it, which makes it rather useless for my purposes. Hell the iPad is not even any good for watching pr0n in bed due to no Flash. Macbook Air though could suit my needs just fine. Sent from Tapatalk.
post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post
The thing with the iPad, is that it needs another computer with iTunes to support it, which makes it rather useless for my purposes. Hell the iPad is not even any good for watching pr0n in bed due to no Flash. Macbook Air though could suit my needs just fine. Sent from Tapatalk.
Really? No flash? That is a downside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post
I wouldn't get a MBA to replace any computer, and you'd need something more substantial at home, or at least a monitor and keyboard to hook it up to (and a desk space I guess), and be okay with mediocre speeds on some things maybe - but I have a few computers at home already and 90% of the time I sit at the kitchen table, 9% in bed, and 1% I take it out or travel with it, so I need a decently sized laptop to keep my eyes from imploding... MBA if you need to use real computer functions and software when on the road, for sure. The iPad kinda sucks on its own for me, I really do not use it. Probably a case of me having computers around the house already and an iPhone in my pocket all the time, and I really hate touch typing, I dislike auto-correct but need it enough to not turn it off, and I got a wifi model because I am already in on three 3G contracts here and didn't want to f around with it. However, what has me sold on the iPad2 is that when I get to Japan, that's the exact size I need to work on for mail, and I'd just buy it on the Softbank installment plan+bill (it's like 5000Y a month or something right? If I put the keyboard on it, it'd work out a lot better and I'd be more likely to use it outside of the house. I guess the one nice thing is though, the iPad is good for kids, tons of entertainment and learning stuff you can get in whatever languages as well, so big boon for you there. No extraneous stuff for them to bang on or break, it's just a simple form factor with an interface probably better for kids than adults. If I had kids I'd have them all loaded up with the requisite Disney movies and a pair of earphones so that they can watch their movies 1034924923 times on their own, and then when they get tired of that there's enough apps and kids games to last them til they graduate and move out.
I already have a standard macbook at home and another as my work computer. I am looking for something that I can use on my daily commute and when on biz trips of 2-3 days also for a quick forum/email/facebook check at night. The ipad looks perfect for the daily commuting and the macbook air looks better for the biz trips, both look fine for the night-time use and I agree that my kids will love playing with it....leaning towards the ipad because of that. About the softbank plan...I looked into it but decided that it would be better to get the wifi ipad and a portable wifi unit from emobile or wimax that offers unlimited usage for around 3000 or 4000 yen/month. Check it out. The softbank deal is around 5000/month but it is not unlimited so expect to be paying more than that if you use it a fair amount.
post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post
You could make due with an iPad if that's all u do.

http://www.zagg.com/accessories/logi...FUPf4AodZjE9uw

post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post

So one is converting an iPad into a sort of 'laptop', but with non of the advantages of a real laptop.

Why?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Next generation of Macbook Air?