or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Do you have a 'signature-item'?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you have a 'signature-item'? - Page 9

post #121 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleCozy View Post
Already been answered, but I might chip in as well. I carry mine to cut of loose threads, cut open boxes, open letters, open bottles/cans, etcetera. It has it's uses, perhaps not every day but 3-4 times a week at the very least.

+ if I get bored, I start sawing wood-things with it. Oh the joys a man can get from sawing things!

You Swedes and your addiction to sawing wood and making furnitures...
post #122 of 211
i go to architecture school so i use my knife almost everyday.
post #123 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Carlos View Post
LMFAO. You do realize that if you pull a gun or knife on a mugger, you're more likely to get hurt and not less, right? More likely to scare him into shooting or stabbing or what have you. And honestly, do you really live in such a dangerous environment that muggers are a real, probable, daily threat? For the record, I'm not against gun ownership whatsoever. I am very pro 2nd amendment. I just don't see an actual need to carry in public. I'm not saying it should be illegal; I'm saying that only weirdos and paranoids seem to do it. I would consider "protection against muggers" to be at best wildly naive and at worst nutty/paranoid.
Please supply actual fact to back up your assumption about more likely getting hurt if you resist criminal violence DC. Once you've done that then explain to me why 45 States allow CCW. I'm also very much aware of the concepts of aggressive behavior and the difference between social violence and criminal violence. I'm also aware of why a typical law abiding citizen fails to counter criminal violence successfully. Much of the problem BTW is the difference in mind sets. As far as whether or not anyone lives in such a dangerous environment is concerned just read the paper or watch the news and you'll have your answer. While you're at it understand several people on this board thought much like you. That is until their world was rocked and they became a victim of a strong arm street crime. The fact is it can happen to anyone at anytime. I'm of the mindset that personal protection will ultimately fall on my shoulders in most situations. Statistics prove this to be true BTW and to deny it is intellectual dissonance at it's finest.
post #124 of 211
I have a partially mangled finger on my left hand from a childhood accident. It's subtle but noticeable if one pays attention. Also, I carry 4 silver quarters from the 1950's and early 60's in my left pants pocket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's View Post
Please supply actual fact to back up your assumption about more likely getting hurt if you resist criminal violence DC. Once you've done that then explain to me why 45 States allow CCW. I'm also very much aware of the concepts of aggressive behavior and the difference between social violence and criminal violence. I'm also aware of why a typical law abiding citizen fails to counter criminal violence successfully. Much of the problem BTW is the difference in mind sets. As far as whether or not anyone lives in such a dangerous environment is concerned just read the paper or watch the news and you'll have your answer. While you're at it understand several people on this board thought much like you. That is until their world was rocked and they became a victim of a strong arm street crime. The fact is it can happen to anyone at anytime. I'm of the mindset that personal protection will ultimately fall on my shoulders in most situations. Statistics prove this to be true BTW and to deny it is intellectual dissonance at it's finest.
Probably my favorite testimony given by a U. S. citizen to Congress.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.       I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
post #125 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's View Post
Please supply actual fact to back up your assumption about more likely getting hurt if you resist criminal violence DC. Once you've done that then explain to me why 45 States allow CCW. I'm also very much aware of the concepts of aggressive behavior and the difference between social violence and criminal violence. I'm also aware of why a typical law abiding citizen fails to counter criminal violence successfully. Much of the problem BTW is the difference in mind sets. As far as whether or not anyone lives in such a dangerous environment is concerned just read the paper or watch the news and you'll have your answer. While you're at it understand several people on this board thought much like you. That is until their world was rocked and they became a victim of a strong arm street crime. The fact is it can happen to anyone at anytime. I'm of the mindset that personal protection will ultimately fall on my shoulders in most situations. Statistics prove this to be true BTW and to deny it is intellectual dissonance at it's finest.
This is paranoid nuttiness at its finest, man. I've been the victim of armed robbery before, in NYC back when NYC was actually NYC and not Rich White Man's Disneyland. I gave the dude my cash, and he fled the scene. I wasn't about to pull a piece back on him, even if I had one. Would have gotten me shot. The experience was frightening at the time, but certainly not world-shattering. I don't live my life in constant fear of armed robbery. Furthermore, you seem to be insinuating that I take issue with concealed-carry laws. I do not. Evidently I'll have to restate that fact again and again, from time to time, just to make sure everyone is clear on it. Show me a concealed-carry aficionado who isn't some paranoid nutter living out a deluded cowboy fantasy, and I'll be genuinely surprised. Show me one who isn't a pasty, chubby dude with a goatee and a high school education, and I'll be surprised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's View Post
Statistics prove this to be true BTW and to deny it is intellectual dissonance at it's finest.
What statistics? Evidence? LOL at your demanding that I post evidence of my claims, and then you go right ahead and make some absurd claim yourself, without substantiation.
post #126 of 211
I have actually become known at work for wearing nice shoes and colorful socks.

Guys and girls stop me in the office to ask me about my shoes and socks and it has become expected that I will be wearing something out of the norm.
post #127 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Carlos View Post
This is paranoid nuttiness at its finest, man.

I've been the victim of armed robbery before, in NYC back when NYC was actually NYC and not Rich White Man's Disneyland. I gave the dude my cash, and he fled the scene. I wasn't about to pull a piece back on him, even if I had one. Would have gotten me shot.

The experience was frightening at the time, but certainly not world-shattering. I don't live my life in constant fear of armed robbery.

Furthermore, you seem to be insinuating that I take issue with concealed-carry laws. I do not. Evidently I'll have to restate that fact again and again, from time to time, just to make sure everyone is clear on it.

Show me a concealed-carry aficionado who isn't some paranoid nutter living out a deluded cowboy fantasy, and I'll be genuinely surprised.



What statistics? Evidence? LOL at your demanding that I post evidence of my claims, and then you go right ahead and make some absurd claim yourself, without substantiation.

My former room mate is from rual PA. Living in Philly, he loves to carry his gun on him. I have finally convinced him to not take it with him when we go out to clubs and bars as he has the tendency to get drunk and stupid and start fights with the first guy who looks at him funny (he is a skinny white boy). He does have a concealed carry permit.

I have gotten him out of so many fights (once by impersinating an officer) and the last thing I need is for him to pull his gun on someone or shoot somone because they stepped on his shoes (although most SF members would probably consider this reasonable) and end up in jail for the next 20 years--it is just not worth it.

Besides what I'm wearing, I do not carry much of value on me. If somone wants my wallet, they can have it. It is all plastic anyway.
post #128 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patek View Post
My former room mate is from rual PA. Living in Philly, he loves to carry his gun on him. I have finally convinced him to not take it with him when we go out to clubs and bars as he has the tendency to get drunk and stupid and start fights with the first guy who looks at him funny (he is a skinny white boy). He does have a concealed carry permit.

I have gotten him out of so many fights (once by impersinating an officer) and the last thing I need is for him to pull his gun on someone or shoot somone because they stepped on his shoes (although most SF members would probably consider this reasonable) and end up in jail for the next 20 years--it is just not worth it.

Besides what I'm wearing, I do not carry much of value on me. If somone wants my wallet, they can have it. It is all plastic anyway.
Trashing somebody's G&G's probably breaks over 1k, which would be a class D felony vandalism charge.
post #129 of 211
OK DC so you don't have an issue with CCW. Gotch ya. So what's with all the deriding comments about how a typical CCW holder acts, level of education and so on? I know a few hundred CCW holders and none of them fit your description. I certainly don't, even though I do know how to ride a horse. LOL. And yeah I want to see analytical evidence to support your broad based claim. Your single example of anecdotal experience doesn't cut it. As far as the idiot above with the CCW permit all I can say is WTF. He was taught better or at least should know better. If I was his instructor and knew about this behavior I would inform the issuing body and recommend his license be revoked.
post #130 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's View Post
Please supply actual fact to back up your assumption about more likely getting hurt if you resist criminal violence DC. Once you've done that then explain to me why 45 States allow CCW. I'm also very much aware of the concepts of aggressive behavior and the difference between social violence and criminal violence. I'm also aware of why a typical law abiding citizen fails to counter criminal violence successfully. Much of the problem BTW is the difference in mind sets. As far as whether or not anyone lives in such a dangerous environment is concerned just read the paper or watch the news and you'll have your answer. While you're at it understand several people on this board thought much like you. That is until their world was rocked and they became a victim of a strong arm street crime. The fact is it can happen to anyone at anytime. I'm of the mindset that personal protection will ultimately fall on my shoulders in most situations. Statistics prove this to be true BTW and to deny it is intellectual dissonance at it's finest.
I do understand your point of view but if you draw a weapon you take the risk to get stabbed or shot even more... Your average mugger has more experience in dealing with that kind of situations than you do and a knife is not exactly the best protective weapon in the world... You can also wear a gun but don't forget the average mugger/junkie has nothing to lose and you do...
post #131 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's View Post
Please supply actual fact to back up your assumption about more likely getting hurt if you resist criminal violence DC. Once you've done that then explain to me why 45 States allow CCW. I'm also very much aware of the concepts of aggressive behavior and the difference between social violence and criminal violence. I'm also aware of why a typical law abiding citizen fails to counter criminal violence successfully. Much of the problem BTW is the difference in mind sets.

As far as whether or not anyone lives in such a dangerous environment is concerned just read the paper or watch the news and you'll have your answer. While you're at it understand several people on this board thought much like you. That is until their world was rocked and they became a victim of a strong arm street crime. The fact is it can happen to anyone at anytime. I'm of the mindset that personal protection will ultimately fall on my shoulders in most situations. Statistics prove this to be true BTW and to deny it is intellectual dissonance at it's finest.

we have had this conversation before, and we have reached mutual understanding and, I hope, respect.


but, how many times have you used a weapon? a civillian who says that they have used a weapon "multiple times" is living their life wrong.
post #132 of 211
I have four vintage Rolex's from the 1960's that my father passed down to me about 20 years ago.

By no means are they the best watches available, but they mean far more to me than going out and buying a new Patek Philippe like all the other MD's I know.
post #133 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarcreamsoda View Post
i go to architecture school so i use my knife almost everyday.
Wow, you must go to a pretty rough architecture school.
post #134 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's View Post
As far as the idiot above with the CCW permit all I can say is WTF. He was taught better or at least should know better. If I was his instructor and knew about this behavior I would inform the issuing body and recommend his license be revoked.

i think most level headed people with carry permits dont make it known that they carry. the idiots like the one in the story that publicize the fact they pack heat make everyone think all carriers are like that. just one more stereotype that is exacerbated by the extereme stupidity of the people that garner the most attention.

personally guns make me nervous, i would not carry. but the decent people i know that do carry i have no problem with. as an aside afaik they havent had to use it.
post #135 of 211
Thread Starter 
This has turned into a very American discussion, it seems: 'Should I wear a weapon or not? Should I wear it more openly or not? What's up, folks? Howdy there, partner. Yihaa! etc..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Do you have a 'signature-item'?