or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Potential NYC Move: Where to Live?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Potential NYC Move: Where to Live?

post #1 of 50
Thread Starter 
Currently live in Boston, but have a job opportunity in Hoboken. My wife and I are seriously considering making the move, but have only really been in NYC for work.

Where do we want to live? Is it 'worth it' to live in Manhattan & reverse commute to Hoboken? We're late 20's / early 30's, with no kids, so it could be a fun opportunity to live in the city for a few years.
post #2 of 50
I have an uncle in Hoboken who moved from the UK and he says it is by far the best place he has lived and he has lived in a few places including manhattan
post #3 of 50
The answer to this question is dependent on your budget.

1 bedroom in a decent neighborhood in Manhattan is going to be $$$.
post #4 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by feynmix View Post
The answer to this question is dependent on your budget.

1 bedroom in a decent neighborhood in Manhattan is going to be $$$.

Cheaper is always better, but we have a lot of flexibility on $$$. I'd love to be $3,000 - $4,000 a month, but could go double that without straining the finances. Obviously, I'd rather pay $3K and save $200k over three years, but I could be convinced that $8k for a good apt in a good location was 'worth it'.
post #5 of 50
You might be interested in Park Slope/Carroll gardens then. It's near the F/N lines that get you to the city fast and is a nice neighborhood with some nightlife going on (bars and restaurants in the area), though if you can afford living in the city and it's what you want, give it a shot.
post #6 of 50
If you are ok with 8k a month in rent in your late 20s, you really should not have to ask this question.
post #7 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post
If you are ok with 8k a month in rent in your late 20s, you really should not have to ask this question.

This and
post #8 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post
If you are ok with 8k a month in rent in your late 20s, you really should not have to ask this question.

Why not (and for the record, it's more early 30s for me...)? Being able to spend more only increases the universe of possibilities. Is there some really awesome neighborhood that is worth spending the $$$ to be in?

As I said, we'd prefer to spend less and save some $. But I'd love some input from the locals as to what the right balance is. It would, IMHO, be stupid to spend $2,500 to be miserable in Jersey City when you could be spending $4,000 and happy in _____. Or spending $8,000 and loving life in _____.
post #9 of 50
If I had your budget, I would be making my home Manhattan's Upper East Side, no doubt about it. Here's something rather nice that's in your price range: http://www.citysitesny.com/listings/....php?id=230335
post #10 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm84321 View Post
If I had your budget, I would be making my home Manhattan's Upper East Side, no doubt about it.

Here's something rather nice that's in your price range:

http://www.citysitesny.com/listings/....php?id=230335

I don't have his budget and live on UES.
post #11 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
I don't have his budget and live on UES.

Yes. But the salient question is: do you have a doorman?
post #12 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm84321 View Post
If I had your budget, I would be making my home Manhattan's Upper East Side, no doubt about it.

Here's something rather nice that's in your price range:

http://www.citysitesny.com/listings/....php?id=230335

UES concern is commute. As you might believe, I spend a lot of time in the office. My presumption is that I won't have a car - or at least won't drive to work. Taxi to and from Hoboken every day seems a little ridiculous. Public transit options from the UES to Hoboken seem to be a little crappy.
post #13 of 50
As a UK resident obsessed with the notion of working in NYC one day, where would you buy if money was absolutely no object? I like indulging in, essentially, property porn
post #14 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj100 View Post
UES concern is commute. As you might believe, I spend a lot of time in the office. My presumption is that I won't have a car - or at least won't drive to work. Taxi to and from Hoboken every day seems a little ridiculous. Public transit options from the UES to Hoboken seem to be a little crappy.

Well, with the 1K you are saving in rent each month, surely you can lease a nice 7 series to comfortably transport you from your home to your office. The apartment I provided a link to has a garage as well.
post #15 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
As a UK resident obsessed with the notion of working in NYC one day, where would you buy if money was absolutely no object? I like indulging in, essentially, property porn
I would live between 70-75th and 5th/Madison/Park Ave. The old money feeling in the air around there just tickles my fancy ever so!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Potential NYC Move: Where to Live?