• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making my own pants: A pictorial

inlandisland

Reaction score
Hello,

I originally created this thread for the C&T Basic Apprentice's Forum, but I thought I would post it here as well;
a) to get more feedback,
b) because from time to time I see threads here about making or altering one's own clothes, and
c) for general interest purposes.

The contents is the same, but you can see the original thread here if you wish.

I am creating this thread as a pictorial of my first effort to make a pair of pants (or anything for that matter). I hope that this post and any commentary that others can offer will be educational, but IT IS NOT MY INTENTION FOR THIS THREAD TO BE INSTRUCTIONAL! I made a number of mistakes throughout the process and the pants are far from perfect so I wouldn't advise anyone to use this thread as a step by step manual. Rather it is a chronicle of my learning on this particular project. My experience prior to making these pants was limited to doing alterations on my own clothing.

To start, I purchased about 1.5 m of light bottom weight 100% cotton twill in blue.
DSC02194.JPG

Using some of the pinned references in the Trouser and Waistcoat Forum I drafted a pattern based on a combination of body and garment measurements that I thought would work for me.
DSC02196.JPG

I traced the pattern onto the fabric - In the picture below I've already made a huge error - can you spot it? (I forgot to flip one of the back panels, which would have resulted in one section of my pants being wrong-side out...)
DSC02198.JPG

Luckily, I noticed my error before cutting and fixed it, then I cut out the main pieces.
DSC02200.JPG

Starting at the fork, and going towards the leg opening, I pinned the front and back panels together along the inseam.
DSC02202.JPG

Next, going from the leg opening back towards the waist I pinned up the outseam.
DSC02203.JPG

There was a bit of excess fabric at the waist, so I folded it over and also pinned the back dart.
DSC02205.JPG

Next, I pinned the back panels together going from fork to waist.
DSC02206.JPG

Then I pinned the front panels together going from fork to waist.
DSC02207.JPG

With the 4 main panels pinned together I did a first fitting. (It might be useful to know that at first I had pinned the pants together in a different manner - not starting from the fork/inseam and the pants were very 'twisty' when I tried them, but when I repinned them in the manner described above, they were much improved).
DSC02208.JPG
DSC02210.JPG
DSC02211.JPG

My untrained eye couldn't detect any major issues with the fit, so I moved on to preparing the pocket facings, welts and fly.
DSC02212.JPG

Wanting a nice sturdy fly, I applied some fusing and very light cotton to the wrong sides of the pieces.
DSC02213.JPG

DSC02214.JPG

I sewed the pieces together, right sides facing each other then turned the whole thing inside out and ironed it.

DSC02215.JPG

DSC02216.JPG

DSC02217.JPG

Next I sewed the actual fly to the fly panel. (I did this step by copying an existing pair of pants).
DSC02218.JPG

I then sewed this whole piece on to the left front panel.
DSC02220.JPG

I sewed the other part of the fly to the opposite panel, and also attached that side to the pants, resulting in a more-or-less finished fly.
DSC02221.JPG

DSC02222.JPG

I started the pockets by sewing the facings on to the insides of the pockets in the following manner.
DSC02219.JPG

Then I sewed the pockets closed inside-out.
DSC02223.JPG

Then I flipped the pockets right-side in and stitched.
DSC02224.JPG

Finally I sewed the pocket facings to the front panels, right side to right side, and left the rest for when I sewed up the outseams.
DSC02225.JPG

The next step was to add jetted pockets to the back. I learned how in this thread.

First I drew the lines on to the right side of the pants.
DSC02226.JPG

Then I added some fusing to the upper and lower welts.
DSC02227.JPG

Then I pinned them over the lines I had drawn (right side down).
DSC02228.JPG

Then I sewed above and below the drawn line like so.
DSC02229.JPG

Then I carefully cut along the the drawn line, being sure not to cut into the welts.
DSC02231.JPG

Next, I carefully extended the Y cut to the stitching.
DSC02234.JPG

Then I pulled the welts through the opening and pressed them flat.
DSC02235.JPG

Next I turned back the triangular tip and pressed flat.
DSC02236.JPG

Finally I ran a fine stitch along the sides to secure the welts, then I basted the pockets shut (not shown).
DSC02237.JPG

Next, I sewed up the inseam, adding some extra material in the fork to act as some light reinforcement.
DSC02239.JPG

Then I sewed up the outseams (not pictured).

For belt loops, I sewed up a long tube, turned it right-side in and cut it into smaller lengths.
DSC02249.JPG

For the waistband, I sewed up some 2" strips of fabric with a layer of haircloth in the middle.
DSC02250.JPG

Then I attached these pieces to the wast of my pants. (Unfortunately I attached them to high and ended up with some very high-rise pants, so I had to disassemble the whole waistband and do it again - measure carefully - I think this was the messiest part of my pants in the end.
DSC02252.JPG

With the waistband attached, the pants were basically finished, so I pressed them.
DSC02253.JPG

Not pictured above are some of the details I added throughout the construction process including stitching, buttons, hooks, etc.

Back Pocket:
DSC02255.JPG

Side Pockets:
DSC02256.JPG

Front closure:
DSC02257.JPG

Blind hem:
DSC02260.JPG

And that was my first pair of pants. After several rounds of minor adjustments, this is how they are fitting.

Front:
DSC02270.JPG
DSC02268.JPG

Side:
DSC02267.JPG

Back:
DSC02266.JPG

Sitting down:
DSC02272.JPG

DSC02273.JPG

If anyone has any feedback on what I can improve, changes I can make to my pattern, suggestions about the order and sequence, techniques I should learn more about, etc. I would love any and all feedback (and don't be afraid to be straight forward - I can take it).

Hopefully I can grow and continue to learn as I embark on my next pair...
DSC02278.JPG

inlandisland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
This is impressive. If you did it again, how long do you think it would take - start to finish?

Less time than it took me to do these... quite a few hours spread over a number of days/weekends though - I have a demanding full time job.

Thank you for the compliment though!
bigstar[1].gif

XeF4

Reaction score
Wow, awesome. How much time have you dedicated to learning this so far?

Really impressed.

EDIT: Beaten to it, I read for too long.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw that first fitting pic and was ready to popcorn the thread:
lurker[1].gif
But, by the end they look good. Not H Huntsman yet, but impressive for a layman. Nice job man!

Pendulum

Reaction score
That's really impressive, wish I could get my head around the whole process, sounds like a fun hobby!

inlandisland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XeF4
Wow, awesome. How much time have you dedicated to learning this so far?

Really impressed.

EDIT: Beaten to it, I read for too long.

Originally Posted by idfnl
I saw that first pic and was ready to do one of these:

lurker[1].gif

But, by the end they look good. Not H Huntsman yet, but impressive for a layman.

Nice job man!

Thanks! I'm so glad they're passable. I don't know how much time I've spent on learning this. Hours and hours of reading and hours of work so far...

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not going to get much out of ironwork on cotton pants, though.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm very impressed.
cheers.gif
It's very gratifying to create something from scratch.

ndw

Reaction score
Just awesome! Keep at it man
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
For a first attempt it is not too shabby at all.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice...

emptym

Reaction score
They look great. Thanks for posting this. Let me know when you're ready to make for others!

J Darnielle

Reaction score
Can you suggest a good place to start for an absolute beginner?

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
OP, tell us how to get involved.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads