or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Signs that you got/lost the job off an interview?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Signs that you got/lost the job off an interview? - Page 4

post #46 of 74
Job seeking, interviewing, hiring, etc. is an inexact science.

The best interview I ever had ended with no offer.

The worst, an offer and acceptance.
post #47 of 74
It really depends on the organisation.

Some are so desperate, as long as they get someone who meets the minimum requirement, they will grab em'. So the interview is really a formality, to sieve out the nutjobs. Some are so bad, they even hire the nutjobs.
post #48 of 74
The first 5 seconds someone meets you is probably more important than anything you could say during the interview yourself, unless you admit to having a scat fetish or something. It's during that brief moment that you can build rapport with your interviewer and give the impression that working with you wouldn't be so bad.
post #49 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereis View Post
The first 5 seconds someone meets you is probably more important than anything you could say during the interview yourself, unless you admit to having a scat fetish or something. It's during that brief moment that you can build rapport with your interviewer and give the impression that working with you wouldn't be so bad.
Any hints? I might in in the market again soon...
post #50 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orsini View Post
Any hints? I might in in the market again soon...

Smile, stand up straight, firm handshake, and be sociable with small talk. And, of course, be well-dressed.

Better if you're:
a) Tall
b) Handsome/good-looking
post #51 of 74
I work in recruitment and attend a lot of interviews, recently I had a recent interview with a firm. I thought it was going good, then I noticed a change come over the MD who then came out and said, "there a lot of middle aged people like you." And it stuck me, there is no way they are going to employ me. I don't know what caused it I gave honest frank answers she liked my CV and was keen to get me in for an interview but then I just sensed this sea change, she turned and. I got up told them I thought they unprofessional and thank you for wasting my time. I just knew as soon as she said that I was fucked and that no matter how good my experience and qualifications, referees I was not going to get the job. On retrospect I should have told her to go fuck a pig. On one occasion I was working on a panel for a DoD job. The candidate was going great guns, the panel was all attention, even I was impressed, there was a fleet officer on it and two women in the panel. He was giving an Excellent text book response about counselling a staff member over an alleged sexual harassment issue, he had it down pat and then he comes and said 'then this dick head', well the silence was defining. He blew it big time, down in flames and the odd thing is he didn't even notice he had fucked up.
post #52 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post
I work in recruitment and attend a lot of interviews, recently I had a recent interview with a firm. I thought it was going good, then I noticed a change come over the MD who then came out and said, "there a lot of middle aged people like you." And it stuck me, there is no way they are going to employ me. I don't know what caused it I gave honest frank answers she liked my CV and was keen to get me in for an interview but then I just sensed this sea change, she turned and.

I got up told them I thought they unprofessional and thank you for wasting my time. I just knew as soon as she said that I was fucked and that no matter how good my experience and qualifications, referees I was not going to get the job.

On retrospect I should have told her to go fuck a pig..

Good for you.

Had an interview.

The first thing the panel told me was the job I applied for does not exist but we have this other job, are you interested? Classic bait and switch.

Should have told her to fuck off for wasting my time but since we are in the same industry, I said no problem. IN truth, I would not have applied for the job cos I know the hierachy is fucked up.

The boss seems like a controlling freak and the other guy in the panel is junior to me, know less than me and higher up the pecking order than me.
post #53 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post
On one occasion I was working on a panel for a DoD job. The candidate was going great guns, the panel was all attention, even I was impressed, there was a fleet officer on it and two women in the panel. He was giving an Excellent text book response about counselling a staff member over an alleged sexual harassment issue, he had it down pat and then he comes and said 'then this dick head', well the silence was defining.

He blew it big time, down in flames and the odd thing is he didn't even notice he had fucked up.

lol

Something like this happened with a candidate for a job in my office, but they liked him enough that they still gave him an offer.
post #54 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post
Smile, stand up straight, firm handshake, and be sociable with small talk. And, of course, be well-dressed. Better if you're: a) Tall b) Handsome/good-looking
That's probably true in all walks of life. Perhaps unsurprisingly, something like 13% of US men are 6' tall or over, but close to 60% of Fortune 500 CEOs are. to a fellow 6'+ er.
post #55 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post
That's probably true in all walks of life. Perhaps unsurprisingly, something like 13% of US men are 6' tall or over, but close to 60% of Fortune 500 CEOs are.

to a fellow 6'+ er.

post #56 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post
Smile, stand up straight, firm handshake, and be sociable with small talk. And, of course, be well-dressed. Better if you're: a) Tall b) Handsome/good-looking
Aw, gee! While good, that's basic stuff. I know that. of course, but I was hoping for magic words, or something. .
post #57 of 74
Thread Starter 
haha so they asked what my salary requirements were, I said 25k/month. In my mind I had already included the housing allowance. They just sent me the contract. 25k/month PLUS 11k housing. Nice one.
post #58 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eason View Post
haha so they asked what my salary requirements were, I said 25k/month. In my mind I had already included the housing allowance. They just sent me the contract. 25k/month PLUS 11k housing. Nice one.
haaa. which currency are we talking about here?
post #59 of 74
Thread Starter 
also 20k relocation + pair airfare. Niiiice. HKD
post #60 of 74
so that's a little under 5k USD per month?!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Signs that you got/lost the job off an interview?