or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread - Page 334

post #4996 of 5277
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdude View Post

Those Hober knots . . . inlove.gif

nod[1].gif
post #4997 of 5277
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silverfox View Post

The ties are Shepard's Black & White Check Plaid Silk Tie #16 and Burgundy Diamond Weave Silk Tie #12

Very nice sir! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman View Post

My first wear of Slate Blue Prometeo. As a fan of the grossa weave over the fina, I have to say I really like the even larger, looser weave of the prometeo.

Looks fantastic, I may need to try the prometeo. nod[1].gif
post #4998 of 5277
Last, but not least, is my third new Hober this week.

Macclesfield #109.

post #4999 of 5277
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDeKelver View Post


I can third this, that DHL will collect every possible duty and tax. 

But if you get your order in early ahead of the season, try the mail service.  It takes longer, and will arrive in the post, but the post office can be very easy to work through and I've had two orders come through tax and duty free.

Living in Norway, my experience has been that DHL/UPS/FedEx will always charge you import fees for the simple reason that (here at least) they're allowed to charge a commission as a % of the duties collected. So no matter what you order they will charge you duties, and this holds for ties.

I've tried sending through regular snailmail once, resulting in the customs office withholding the parcel pending my consent to open it for verification and duties. (obviously I refused)

Every other time I've sent through EMS, and not a single parcel has been stopped or even delayed thus far, and I've never paid a dollar (or Krone) in import duties on these. Think I've had like 6-7 parcels in a row that's gotten through without incident, so it seems more the norm than blind luck.

Here in Norway I think the duties and fees amount to about 40% of the value (and the dhl/ups/fedex fee comes on top of this), so it kind of makes a difference. Either you pay the duties and get 10 ties for x amounts of money, or you don't and you get 14 ties for the same money.
post #5000 of 5277
I've never had to pay anything with DHL. Maybe I have but never read the paperwork that it came with...
post #5001 of 5277
My last DHL Hober order got held by Canada Customs. They phoned me and wouldn't send them out until I gave them a credit card to pay the $54 (!!) in duties.

The customs broad even felt the need to tell me, "Those are some expensive neckties, hey?"

In all fairness, David had both phoned and emailed to let me know DHL often incurs import taxes, but I crossed my fingers and was happy with how fast they got to me.
post #5002 of 5277
I am 100% on getting hit with import duties when DHL delivers (to the USA) - whether an order from David or elsewhere.
post #5003 of 5277
At the risk of becoming a social outcast, I'm considering a bright red and/or yellow tie. I feel confident PinkPanther will have my back, but the rest of you I don't know. Hopefully you'll find a way to cope.

I guess I've been watching too many movies/shows about the Napoleonic wars lately, because I'm craving strong color. I've been listening to "Over the hills and far away" from Sharpe, and every time I hear the line "Then fall in lads, behind the drum. With colors blazing like the sun." I feel a strong need to put on something bright red and invade Spain. I think I'll hold off on my Spanish conquests for a little while longer, but the colors seem doable.


Aside from the obvious possibilities with grenadine, does anyone have any thoughts on which fabrics will look good as bright colors? The color is one thing, but finding it in a fabric that will make the most of it by enhancing the "colors blazing like the sun" is something else. Bonus points for suggestions where the fabric actually exists in said color.

In any case, I'm thinking something along the lines of these:





Edited by The Silverfox - 6/13/14 at 6:00pm
post #5004 of 5277

Key to pulling off a loud tie like that: you really have to make sure you DGAF like both those guys above.

post #5005 of 5277
@The Silverfox, I have a yellow tie in grenadine grossa. I rarely wear it but I find that the grenadine weave works well for a bold yellow IMO. As far as red is concerned (if you truly must), I'd be inclined to go for a diamond weave, twill or solid silk of some sort.
post #5006 of 5277
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silverfox View Post

At the risk of becoming a social outcast, I'm considering a bright red and/or yellow tie. I feel confident PinkPanther will have my back, but the rest of you I don't know. Hopefully you'll find a way to cope.

Aside from the obvious possibilities with grenadine, does anyone have any thoughts on which fabrics will look good as bright colors? The color is one thing, but finding it in a fabric that will make the most of it by enhancing the "colors blazing like the sun" is something else. Bonus points for suggestions where the fabric actually exists in said color.

Indeed I do have your back! I am a fan of both of the colors you are presenting. I have the yellow gold fina which is quite similar in color to the tie above. I have the red grossa and I like it a lot, although I have not been able to do the tie justice in the pics I have posted. I have been considering the red diamond weave as I think it would be quite nice based on the swatch. Anyway, you have my support in your quest for some brighter/bolder ties! nod[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

@The Silverfox, I have a yellow tie in grenadine grossa. I rarely wear it but I find that the grenadine weave works well for a bold yellow IMO. As far as red is concerned (if you truly must), I'd be inclined to go for a diamond weave, twill or solid silk of some sort.

I think I agree with you on the diamond weave idea. smile.gif
post #5007 of 5277
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpanther View Post

Indeed I do have your back! I am a fan of both of the colors you are presenting. I have the yellow gold fina which is quite similar in color to the tie above. I have the red grossa and I like it a lot, although I have not been able to do the tie justice in the pics I have posted. I have been considering the red diamond weave as I think it would be quite nice based on the swatch. Anyway, you have my support in your quest for some brighter/bolder ties! nod[1].gif
I think I agree with you on the diamond weave idea. smile.gif

Diamond weave was my first thought, along with the solid madder and the twill, but the color doesn't seem to exist in madder or twill, and the diamond weave, while the actual diamonds are the right color, has black around it, which makes me think the tie itself would turn more of a deeper ferrari red, or a vermillion/crimson, rather than a bright vibrant red. I could be overestimating the effect of the black on the finished tie, and it could well be that the shine from the "satiny" nature of the diamonds will make up for this, but I don't know. This darkening effect would probably make the tie a good deal more wearable and in better taste (in the opinion of most) but it'd no longer be a very bright red. Are there any pictures of the red diamond floating about?

Yeah, I have the fina swatch set and the yellow gold is gorgeous.

I'm not sure I can reasonably justify either one when my collection still doesn't have a single brown tie or a single striped tie in it, especially since I look good in brown and it goes with all the blue I wear, but I do want them.
post #5008 of 5277
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silverfox View Post

Diamond weave was my first thought, along with the solid madder and the twill, but the color doesn't seem to exist in madder or twill, and the diamond weave, while the actual diamonds are the right color, has black around it, which makes me think the tie itself would turn more of a deeper ferrari red, or a vermillion/crimson, rather than a bright vibrant red. I could be overestimating the effect of the black on the finished tie, and it could well be that the shine from the "satiny" nature of the diamonds will make up for this, but I don't know. This darkening effect would probably make the tie a good deal more wearable and in better taste (in the opinion of most) but it'd no longer be a very bright red. Are there any pictures of the red diamond floating about?

Yeah, I have the fina swatch set and the yellow gold is gorgeous.

I'm not sure I can reasonably justify either one when my collection still doesn't have a single brown tie or a single striped tie in it, especially since I look good in brown and it goes with all the blue I wear, but I do want them.

I have never seen a pic of the red diamond weave in the wild (not surprising given the lack of love that true red ties get on this Forum). I can say that on my bottle green diamond weave that the small amount of black does not dull the vibrancy of the green at all so I imagine the same would be true of the red.

You know that the obvious answer to your final comment is that your collection needs all the above: the brown, the striped, the bold red, and the bold yellow. nod[1].gif

All this talk has firmly placed the red diamond weave on my next order. smile.gif
Edited by pinkpanther - 6/16/14 at 10:24am
post #5009 of 5277
^ Swatches are also the answer.
post #5010 of 5277

Does anyone have the Italian Flower Silk Tie #3?  A nice green tie is really underrated (and also hard to find).  However, I usually use SF pics to confirm my choices, and I haven't seen any of this one.   

 

Thanks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread