or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread - Page 301

post #4501 of 5353
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout2 View Post
 

I once sent a cashmere tie to the dry cleaners. It came back looking like a sock.

:rotflmao:and :confused:

 

 

I am, in fact, loath to send anything to dry cleaners now. Sometimes it cannot be avoided, but I don't panic with small blemishes. Spot cleaning most things is my first resort.

post #4502 of 5353

The interesting thing is they even had a special tie holder/package for it, suggesting this tie to sock transmogrification is a regular part of their business.

post #4503 of 5353
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayfrenzy View Post

How long did the swatches take from order to delivery?

2-3 weeks (I am in the US, so depending on your location, your time may vary)
post #4504 of 5353

Does anyone else have an order pending still?  My order is going on 18 days and is still not complete.  Curious if anyone else is experiencing a similar delay as the website still indicates that construction delays have tie construction at 7 days.

post #4505 of 5353
Are Burgundy and dark chocolate grossa too close in color to get both?

(Swatches look pretty similar, but not sure when they're made up)
Edited by venividivicibj - 3/11/14 at 10:45am
post #4506 of 5353

Seems pretty different to me

post #4507 of 5353
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

Does anyone else have an order pending still?  My order is going on 18 days and is still not complete.  Curious if anyone else is experiencing a similar delay as the website still indicates that construction delays have tie construction at 7 days.

I think the site actually indicates 10+ days, but regardless I am sure David will fill you in on the status. Sadly, I do not have any ties on order at the moment. shog[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

Are Burgundy and dark chocolate grossa too close in color to get both?

(Swatches look pretty similar, but not sure when they're made up)

I don't have the burgundy grossa but I do have the burg fina and it is noticeably different than either the chocolate or dark chocolate grossa color wise. I think you could get both and feel good about it. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout2 View Post

Seems pretty different to me

+1
Edited by pinkpanther - 3/11/14 at 11:54am
post #4508 of 5353

Just placed my first order:

 

Burgundy Grossa

Dark Chocolate Grossa

Midnight Blue Grossa

Prince of Wales #14

 

all 4-fold (except PoW: 3-fold), lined but untipped with hand rolled edges.


Edited by venividivicibj - 3/11/14 at 11:56pm
post #4509 of 5353
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

Just placed my first order:

Burgundy Grossa
Dark Chocolate Grossa
Midnight Blue Grossa
Prince of Wales #14

all 4-fold, lined but untipped with hand rolled edges.

One of the better "first order" posts in this thread, no doubt. nod[1].gif I would have opted for a bit of variety in the grenadine weaves, but no worries. cheers.gif

Just curious why you went with 4-fold for the POW, though. Standard is 3, and I could understand an upgrade if going for 6 or 7 folds...
post #4510 of 5353

oops, it would be 3 fold, just didn't write that. (whatever the default is). I'll edit the original post.

 

I stayed with grossa because promoteo colors differ slightly from grossa, and I don't have the promote swatches, plus I felt the grossa was slightly more formal due to smaller weave. On the other hand,  I didn't want to do the piccola/fina because I like to have some (more) visible texture.

post #4511 of 5353
Today's Hober is the Macclesfield print #109 (6-fold construction).

post #4512 of 5353
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post
 

oops, it would be 3 fold, just didn't write that. (whatever the default is). I'll edit the original post.

 

I stayed with grossa because promoteo colors differ slightly from grossa, and I don't have the promote swatches, plus I felt the grossa was slightly more formal due to smaller weave. On the other hand,  I didn't want to do the piccola/fina because I like to have some (more) visible texture.


On David's pictures, the two large weaves look different, the prometeo seems to have a more honeycomb structure. But having the two swatches in hand, at least for the midnight, it is very hard to see any difference by eye. Grossa is bought more often by Hober customers but I surmised (and this is David's thought too) that this is in part due to the fact that grossa was offered first in the history of Hober.

 

Anyway, I plan to order the midnight prometeo as it seems to me "less black" and "more blue" though not a huge difference. Both are quite dark. One of them struck me as more "matte", though subtle...forget which one...in my post a few pages back.

 

So, I would recommend swatches of any grenadine color from both mills: the differences will likely be often subtle but it may matter if you are picky. And why not, you're going bespoke?

post #4513 of 5353
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

Just placed my first order:

Burgundy Grossa
Dark Chocolate Grossa
Midnight Blue Grossa
Prince of Wales #14

all 4-fold (except PoW: 3-fold), lined but untipped with hand rolled edges.

Very nice choices. nod[1].gif
post #4514 of 5353

great ties VVV!  don't forget to post pics when you receive them

 

oh and PP, :slayer::slayer:, I love that tie

post #4515 of 5353

A couple from this week...

 

Atkinsons Irish Poplin #18: Royal Signals - 3 fold

 

 

 

Macclesfield Silk Tie #118 - 3 fold

 


Edited by kayjaybee - 3/13/14 at 3:07pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread