or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread - Page 284

post #4246 of 4904
+1
post #4247 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpanther View Post

Today's Hober is the black & burgundy herringbone wool (3-fold construction). Saw Claghorn's pic of this last month and had to have it. He wears it better but I really like having it in my collection. I am beginning to really like wool ties.


I'm not sure if herringbone with herringbone is really kosher, but that is one fantastic tie.
It might even been one of the best wool ties I've seen thus far.

The combination of wool material with solids in earthy colors is wonderful, and the texture-pattern from the herringbone weave just puts it over the top.

I seriously need to stay away from this thread for a while, this is going to get very expensive if I keep hanging around.

Edit:
Are there any pics of the camel one floating about?
post #4248 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silverfox View Post


Best idea ever. The graphics on the box are wonderful, to have that in a PS would be really fantastic.

In fact, I think I suggested they use a faded version of the map as like a watermark/background on the site (like Drake's London) some time ago when discussing the site with David because that map really is fantastic, but your idea of using it for a pocket square is much better by far.

I'd certainly buy that PS.

 

I would, too.  David might have to punch up the blue just a tad (I keep a box under my desk at work for discussions such as these :D) but it is a great graphic.

post #4249 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count de Monet View Post

I would, too.  David might have to punch up the blue just a tad (I keep a box under my desk at work for discussions such as these biggrin.gif ) but it is a great graphic.

Imagine if they got the printers who do the Madder silks to do it. How cool would that map look with the warm earthy browns and the deep rich blues of the madder silks, and all of it on top of that madder lustre.

It'd probably be very practical too, as the colors are grouped together, so if your outfit called for a PS with blue in it, you could fold it to show the ocean areas, whereas if you needed earthy browns and beige you could display the area in the top left etc. So whereas with most squares you get a single design suitable with one set of complimentary colors, with a design like this you get maybe 3-5 depending on which area of it you show.
post #4250 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRaphael View Post

Btw, I think David should consider making a pocket square out of the map that is decorating the box in which the ties are delivered inside.

I'm in for this special edition!

post #4251 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silverfox View Post



Edit:
Are there any pics of the camel one floating about?

post #4252 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silverfox View Post

I'm not sure if herringbone with herringbone is really kosher, but that is one fantastic tie.
It might even been one of the best wool ties I've seen thus far.

The combination of wool material with solids in earthy colors is wonderful, and the texture-pattern from the herringbone weave just puts it over the top.

I seriously need to stay away from this thread for a while, this is going to get very expensive if I keep hanging around.

Edit:
Are there any pics of the camel one floating about?

Yeah, didn't realize how close the jacket and tie weaves were until I took the pic, agree that they aren't kosher together. shog[1].gif

I saw that Claghorn re-posted his black/camel herringbone which is simply awesome (both the tie and his fit). I will post a pic of mine when I wear it next week. I will try and pair it better than I did with the burgundy. biggrin.gif
post #4253 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post



Is that a three-fold?
post #4254 of 4904
Does anyone have the following tie in action: http://www.samhober.com/macclesfield-challis-patterned-wool-ties/challis-macclesfield-green-pattern-wool-tie-6.html

Am interested in the green shade in real life.
post #4255 of 4904
Today's Hober is a repeat and is the geometric pattern #21 (3-fold construction).

post #4256 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRaphael View Post

Does anyone have the following tie in action: http://www.samhober.com/macclesfield-challis-patterned-wool-ties/challis-macclesfield-green-pattern-wool-tie-6.html

Am interested in the green shade in real life.

 

 

Edit: Deleted crappy second pic, added the below:

 

 


Edited by mrjester - 1/24/14 at 8:54am
post #4257 of 4904

Question for everyone: how do you store your ties?  I'm looking for a better way to store mine without adding an expensive organization system.  I've checked google and pinterest but nothing seems to fit what I'm looking for.  Was considering some sort of ornament storage solution but I'm concerned with keeping the ties rolled for so long.  Would love some suggestions!

 

TIA.

post #4258 of 4904
post #4259 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayjaybee View Post

Question for everyone: how do you store your ties?  I'm looking for a better way to store mine without adding an expensive organization system.  I've checked google and pinterest but nothing seems to fit what I'm looking for.  Was considering some sort of ornament storage solution but I'm concerned with keeping the ties rolled for so long.  Would love some suggestions!

TIA.

Rolled, like this:

http://www.houzz.com/tie-cubbie

My unit was custom made and looks very similar to the unit 3 pictures down (says "telluride" to the right). However, my unit sits in my master closet, not the laundry room. It contains 168 cubbies and can go 2-deep if needed - it literally goes from floor to ceiling. I typically keep my collection around 168 as I like to see them all - for selection purposes - each morning as I get dressed.

Before I had this unit, I was finding that various ties would go unworn for long periods of time (out of sight, out of mind .....).
post #4260 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post


Rolled, like this:

http://www.houzz.com/tie-cubbie

My unit was custom made and looks very similar to the unit 3 pictures down (says "telluride" to the right). However, my unit sits in my master closet, not the laundry room. It contains 168 cubbies and can go 2-deep if needed - it literally goes from floor to ceiling. I typically keep my collection around 168 as I like to see them all - for selection purposes - each morning as I get dressed.

Before I had this unit, I was finding that various ties would go unworn for long periods of time (out of sight, out of mind .....).

 

Thanks, sftg!  I saw this post in my searching and would love to have something similar.  I share the same attitude that I want to see the ties for selection instead of having to fumble around with my current tie hanger.  Ideally I'd like to have a drawer similar to what is shown in that same post but would need to purchase an organization system to get it.  I've told the wife I want something installed in my closet (we both have separate walk-ins) but I haven't gotten around to looking for any.

 

Thanks again for the recco!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread