Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryTiestagged by SYSTEM, 8/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- H.N. White - Handmade English Ties - Official Affiliate Thread Last post on 2/12/16 at 2:44pm in Classic Menswear
- LAST CHANCE! Tom Ford, Stile Latino, Cesare Attolini, Roda, Dolcepunta, Tie Your Tie, Hanro,... Last post on 12/19/15 at 10:47am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Neckties: A Discussion Thread Last post on Today at 5:17 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- Massdrop x Styleforum x Panta Madder Tie GMTO (official collaboration) Last post on Yesterday at 5:45 pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
Last edited: 2/9/16
- What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?Last edited: 2/4/16
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread - Page 253post #3781 of 644112/11/13 at 9:55am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #3782 of 644112/11/13 at 9:56ampost #3783 of 644112/11/13 at 9:58amQuote:Quote:Quote:
Agreed that some dimple is better than no dimple and the side dimple is fine by me. Before Hober I would fuss a little over the knot but it was more about what length the tie was coming out than anything else. Now all my (Hober) ties are the same length and it is easy to get both the preferred length and, of course, the preferred knot with a minimum of fuss.post #3784 of 644112/11/13 at 10:10amQuote:
Mine are tipped (as are all of mine regardless of type of material, just a personal preference).post #3785 of 644112/11/13 at 10:13ampost #3786 of 644112/11/13 at 10:18amQuote:
+1 - Hobers are my easiest ties to (dimple) knot by a wide margin. One of the many reasons I like them so much.post #3787 of 644112/11/13 at 12:37pmpost #3788 of 644112/11/13 at 12:38pmQuote:Originally Posted by pinkpantherQuote:Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy
Ordered these last night:
Each should pair quite well with various shirt colors, e.g., pale blue, lavender, pale pink, white.
Nice choices...I have both of these ties. I'll be wearing the #119 tomorrow as a matter of fact.
thank youpost #3789 of 644112/11/13 at 2:42pmSo irrespective of one's current warddrobe and tie inventory, what are your top 5 Hobers? Asked differently, if you had to buy Hobers at once and could never buy any more, what would they be? I'm sure something along this line has been asked or discussed in the previous 260 pages, but given the passion and enthusiam that most Hoberites have for the product, together with the new offerings and new converts, I assume its an opinion many won't mind offering, even for the "nth" time.
Also, what's your thought process / rationale for choosing grenadine grossa, fina, or prometeo? Is it purely an aesthetic issue or do other factors (e.g. diversification, formality, suit/jacket texture, etc.) factor in? Thanks.post #3790 of 644112/11/13 at 3:56pmIf I could only have 5:
- Black grenadine grossa
- Navy grenadine grossa
- Burgundy oxford weave
- Silver / grey grenadine grossa
- Sky blue rep solid silk tie
My 5 Favorites (some tough calls in here):
- Silver / grey grenadine grossa
- White pindot on midnight blue grenadine grossa
- Powder blue and brown stripes on midnight blue grenadine grossa
- English pattern silk tie #6 (http://www.samhober.com/pattern-silk-ties/english-pattern-silk-tie-6.html)
- Green dots on burgundy pindot silk tie
Reason for the difference is I have some favorites that are not quite as versatile but I am happy to have a large rotation. If I could only have 5, however, I'd go for versatility.
My preference for grossa over fina is due to the former having a more interesting and visible texture. If I wanted a more subtle texture, something like the diamond weave or oxford weave would work better for my tastes.post #3791 of 644112/11/13 at 4:03pmI am often surprised to see a black knit or grenadine on Top X lists. I think navy is far more versatile, but then I'm the uptight type that wouldn't wear a black tie with brown shoes.
My top 5 Hobers would be Navy Grenadine Grossa, Burgandy Grenadine Grossa, a navy-grounded Macclesfield (can't really go wrong with any of them), any simple stripe (the SF Club tie grenadine is a good one), and a more colourful tie like an orange, brown, or purple.post #3792 of 644112/11/13 at 4:15pm^ Black tie is on the list due to (1) being the most socially appropriate thing at a funeral and thus a thing one would not want to be without and (2) it looks quite smart with white and light blue shirts and can provide additional options especially if one wears a lot of suits to evening events.post #3793 of 644112/11/13 at 4:33pmpost #3794 of 644112/11/13 at 7:15pm
- A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 2 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 2 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 4 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 4 minutes ago
- › Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 6 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 6 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What products do I use and how to I care for...
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.