or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread - Page 245

post #3661 of 5212

I just ordered 4 swatches - grenadine prometeo and grossa, and both grenadine rep swatches.  This should be fun.

 

Mr Hober - here is a off the wall suggestion.  After one buys a high level of Hober ties, perhaps give them a complete set of the Hober swatches (at least at that time).  This will need to be enough ties (50+?) to justify the comp, but could make things very interesting.  This would create an elite and mysterious club.  

 

And also create a mysterious aura around THE complete swatch set.  Who has one?  What year?  Can we see it?  Everyone visiting Atlanta would want to meet PPanther and see his COMPLETE set, for example.  

post #3662 of 5212
Hi guys, I don't need to wear ties very often, just for interviews, so I thought I'd splurge on a really nice tie. I'm looking for something with lots of navy, that won't stand out too much. These are the swatches I've ordered. What do you guys think?

Sky Blue Dots on Dark Navy Pin-Dot Silk Tie #2
ITEM: EPDT-2
http://www.samhober.com/pin-dot-silk-ties/sky-blue-dots-on-dark-navy-pin-dot-silk-tie-2.html


Navy Blue Piccola Grenadine Silk Tie #8
ITEM: GPT-8
http://www.samhober.com/grenadine-piccola-silk-ties/navy-blue-piccola-grenadine-silk-tie-8.html


Midnight Blue Twill Madder Solid Silk # 4
ITEM: TMSOT-4
http://www.samhober.com/madder-twill-silk-ties/midnight-blue-twill-madder-solid-silk-4.html


English Geometric Silk Tie #9 (not really a fave)
ITEM: EGT-9
http://www.samhober.com/geometric-silk-ties-en/english-geometric-silk-tie-9.html


Navy Blue & Black Paisley Silk Tie #10
ITEM: EPAT-10
http://www.samhober.com/paisley-silk-ties/navy-blue-and-black-paisley-silk-tie-10.html


Midnight Blue Pattern Challis Wool Tie #4 (Just out of curiosity, not really considering it)
ITEM: CHPT-4
http://www.samhober.com/macclesfield-challis-patterned-wool-ties/challis-macclesfield-midnight-blue-pattern-wool-tie-4.html

Macclesfield Silk Tie #83
ITEM: MCT-83
http://www.samhober.com/macclesfield-print-silk-ties/macclesfield-silk-tie-73-clone-clone-clone-clone-clone.html

Macclesfield Silk Tie #176
ITEM: MCT-176
http://www.samhober.com/macclesfield-print-silk-ties/macclesfield-silk-tie-176.html

Macclesfield Silk Tie #87
ITEM: MCT-87
http://www.samhober.com/macclesfield-print-silk-ties/macclesfield-silk-tie-87.html
post #3663 of 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by althanis View Post

Hi guys, I don't need to wear ties very often, just for interviews, so I thought I'd splurge on a really nice tie. I'm looking for something with lots of navy, that won't stand out too much. These are the swatches I've ordered. What do you guys think?

If I could make an alternate suggestion: http://www.samhober.com/diamond-weave-silk-ties/dark-navy-diamond-weave-silk-tie-3.html

I have it, and it is my favorite navy tie.

It looks like the one in the middle (ish)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlongano View Post

Slowly changing my tie wardrobe over to Hober...below is a selection of grenadine, solid silk, cashmere, wool, and diamond weave:
post #3664 of 5212
Althanis, if you want a solid, consider the navy madder twill instead of the midnight. I have the swatches. The midnight is so dark it's almost black. The navy is a rich, rich blue. In fact, I just ordered it. If you want a dot, take a look at the macclesfield print dots. I think a white, print pindot would be more versatile (maybe more classic?) than a sky blue dot. And, of course, a navy grenadine cannot be wrong, ever. Have fun choosing, and wear whichever tie you select in good health.

Edit, gauss has a good point, I seem to remember PP posting a diamond weave and the color was lovely.
post #3665 of 5212
^^

Of those you have listed:
If a print: Macclesfield 176
If a solid: Piccola #8 or twill madder #4 (and it will come down to how dark you wish your blue to be - the twill madder #4 is considerably darker)

I would heartily endorse an oxford weave as well - navy or midnight blue.
post #3666 of 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennius View Post

I just ordered 4 swatches - grenadine prometeo and grossa, and both grenadine rep swatches.  This should be fun.

Mr Hober - here is a off the wall suggestion.  After one buys a high level of Hober ties, perhaps give them a complete set of the Hober swatches (at least at that time).  This will need to be enough ties (50+?) to justify the comp, but could make things very interesting.  This would create an elite and mysterious club.  

And also create a mysterious aura around THE complete swatch set.  Who has one?  What year?  Can we see it?  Everyone visiting Atlanta would want to meet PPanther and see his COMPLETE set, for example.  

Interesting suggestion but I have enough trouble containing my addiction to David's ties without every single swatch staring lovingly into my eyes. shog[1].gif
post #3667 of 5212

PPanther - I think you just helped make a stronger case for the COMPLETE set, at least for Mr. Hober!

 

I picture a SF member in his clothes closet eyes glazed, stroking the COMPLETE set, mumblinig "my precious, my precious...."

post #3668 of 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennius View Post

PPanther - I think you just helped make a stronger case for the COMPLETE set, at least for Mr. Hober!

I picture a SF member in his clothes closet eyes glazed, stroking the COMPLETE set, mumblinig "my precious, my precious...."

uhoh.gif
post #3669 of 5212
Hi, has anyone seen the new linen lavender tie in action? Good? Is color easy to mix and match? Will it be too sharp as an everyday tie?

I'm thinking about my next order. Any real life pic or even snap will be appreciated.

http://www.samhober.com/new-wool-linnen-ties/dark-lavender-linen-tie.html
post #3670 of 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

One of them new linens.



Quote:
Originally Posted by obama View Post

Hi, has anyone seen the new linen lavender tie in action? Good? Is color easy to mix and match? Will it be too sharp as an everyday tie?

I'm thinking about my next order. Any real life pic or even snap will be appreciated.

http://www.samhober.com/new-wool-linnen-ties/dark-lavender-linen-tie.html

Claghorn's linen is the only pic of the new linens that I have seen so far. Not lavender obviously but gives a good feel for the texture. Not sure I would consider a lavender linen tie an "everyday tie" but I do like the color. If you end up acquiring please remember to post a pic. nod[1].gif
post #3671 of 5212
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpanther View Post


Claghorn's linen is the only pic of the new linens that I have seen so far. Not lavender obviously but gives a good feel for the texture. Not sure I would consider a lavender linen tie an "everyday tie" but I do like the color. If you end up acquiring please remember to post a pic. nod[1].gif

Thanks pink. The texture looks so nice. I was surfing Sam's website for a wool tie for winner but what caught me was the new lavender. But you know, color is somehow quite tricky on minitor. I am not a purple guy but the lavender is reli more blue tone that I may be able to pull that off. Hope someone will put up some pic of the lavender soon.
post #3672 of 5212

What is the best knot for a standard grenadine Sam Hober (4-fold) tie? I find myself preferring FIH, DFIH or half windsor depending on a couple of variables, the most important one being how the knot looks like. If someone has a standard Sam Hober and would be willing to attach a picture of all the three knots I would appreciate it so I can make up my mind on what length to opt for.

 

Thanks in advance.

post #3673 of 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRaphael View Post

What is the best knot for a standard grenadine Sam Hober (4-fold) tie? I find myself preferring FIH, DFIH or half windsor depending on a couple of variables, the most important one being how the knot looks like. If someone has a standard Sam Hober and would be willing to attach a picture of all the three knots I would appreciate it so I can make up my mind on what length to opt for.

Thanks in advance.

David himself recommends the FIH and I concur. It is the only knot I use and you'll see it on any of the pics I have posted. I believe in stitches uses the half windsor and he has also posted a number of pics. Not sure about the DFIH.

Be that as it may, David will know best and I suggest contacting him with your questions. He is always extremely helpful.
post #3674 of 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpanther View Post


David himself recommends the FIH and I concur. It is the only knot I use and you'll see it on any of the pics I have posted. I believe in stitches uses the half windsor and he has also posted a number of pics. Not sure about the DFIH.

Be that as it may, David will know best and I suggest contacting him with your questions. He is always extremely helpful.

Thank you for the quick answer. I'll go through the thread in search for yours and stitches' pics for comparison.

post #3675 of 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRaphael View Post

What is the best knot for a standard grenadine Sam Hober (4-fold) tie? I find myself preferring FIH, DFIH or half windsor depending on a couple of variables, the most important one being how the knot looks like. If someone has a standard Sam Hober and would be willing to attach a picture of all the three knots I would appreciate it so I can make up my mind on what length to opt for.

Thanks in advance.

Tie whichever knot you like the best and let David know which knot you prefer. He will take that into account. I tie a half Windsor about 80% of the time, regardless of fabric. The other days I typically opt for a Pratt knot. I tie a FIH knot only a few times a year.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread