i would imagine so. because david is the nicest guy ever.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryTiestagged by SYSTEM, 8/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- NWT Drake's London Ties - Shantung, Grenadine, and a Cashmere Last post on 1/8/15 at 8:26pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Price Drop! Tom Ford Ties - Silk, Knit, Woolens Last post on 1/13/15 at 7:05am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- RLPL - Purple Label Tie Clearout Last post on 12/4/14 at 6:16am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Drops & Adds! TIES - Drake's, Tom Ford, Isaia, Zegna, Cappelli, Cucinelli... Last post on 7/20/14 at 7:10pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Ties for sale, all are either BNWT or BNWOT-Many maker Last post on 6/28/14 at 9:19am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread - Page 228
Styleforum Top Picks
53"?! Goodness. At such a short length, 3.25" isn't really all that skinny. EDIT: sprout beat me to it. ^
Did you request 3.625" in the notes when you initially placed the order? Also keep in mind that Hober tie edges are not pressed completely flat, but instead are left to roll naturally, so they might appear a bit slimmer than specified. Not suggesting this is what's going on in your case, though.
Edited by Flyswatter - 10/14/13 at 11:11am
This is what I wrote in the notes. (I made a mistake above, the silk tie is 55", not 54".) David suggested shortening the grenadines to 53" and use a four in hand, and I said I'd trust his advice. So that's how the length came to be. As it turns out, the ties are a bit thicker than I thought they'd be, so next time, I'll go with at least a 56" length if not back to a 57" (1" less for grenadines). I know the grenadines will stretch and I suspect the shot silk will stretch a bit as well, so if I keep these, I'll want to wear them for a while before deciding on the length.
Length - most of my ties are around 57" and seem to be just a bit long with a half windsor and definitely too long with a four in hand. 55" might be a good starting point and we can adjust from there. Typically, I wear a half windsor - I will certainly wear a half or full windsor with the Thai silk and likely a half windsor with the grenadines unless the knots come out too large.
I prefer a medium to small knot, so a lighter construction is probably better - the 7-folds I have are too thick for my taste. Apart from that suggestion, I will leave the type of construction to you, but please let me know which construction you use so that I will know what adjustments to make in the future if needed.
Generally I like to end up with about 17.5" to 18" from the bottom of the knot to the tip of the tie, if that helps you with the taper.
After leaving a voice mail with me about changing the length of the grenadines, David sent this email to verify the dimensions, and that's where the mix up happened...
So now the whole story is told. My apologies to David if this is coming across as an ordeal. That is NOT my intention at all. I only posted to express frustration with myself - not with him.
I have one of David's black/white POW ties but not the #14. I believe the ties quoted below are the #14 though. Hope that helps.
As promised pictures of my two new hobers garza piccola bitter chocolate and pow plaid[IMG] Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
This is a great silk. Extremely dry and somewhat stiff.
Tons of pics in this thread, but I haven't seen one of the purple/black grenadine fina #35. I think the purple/black grenadines are underrated, as it makes a nice alternative to burgundy and looks great with gray and navy suits. I know PP posted his grossa example a while back, but can anyone share pics of the fina? Thinking about making that my next purchase, and/or the original SF club grenadine... or perhaps a neat since I have lots of solids and grenadines already, like mljs.
At long last here is the dark purple/black grenadine fina #35. Although my shirt stripes and jacket are washed out, I think the tie color is pretty true to life on my monitor. Sometimes it appears more violet, sometimes more magenta depending on the light.
Sorry for the delay, no work Monday for 15th Century War Criminal Day.
- A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 47 seconds ago
- › GentlemensFootwear.com (Carmina, Drakes, Cappelli, Finamore) -... 48 seconds ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 2 minutes ago
- › (CHRISTOPHE) LEMAIRE FW2015 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Official 2014 College Football Season Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More 2 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 3 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 3 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 3 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › Sneakers for Boot People
- › The Pleasures and Perils of the Long Coat
- › Professor Fabulous Returns to the Closet
- › Why Styleforum Matters
- › The Pittilogues: Pitti Uomo 87, Day 0
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays