i would imagine so. because david is the nicest guy ever.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryTiestagged by SYSTEM, 8/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- Gallery Contest - Classic menswear scorekeeper thread. Last post on 5/12/15 at 6:23am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF MAR 30, 2015 Last post on 4/12/15 at 4:06pm in Classic Menswear
- David Fin - Official Affiliate Thread Last post on 5/20/15 at 1:33pm in Classic Menswear
- Ragged (!) Trousered Philanthropists Last post on 5/23/15 at 1:32pm in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread - Page 228
Styleforum Top Picks
53"?! Goodness. At such a short length, 3.25" isn't really all that skinny. EDIT: sprout beat me to it. ^
Did you request 3.625" in the notes when you initially placed the order? Also keep in mind that Hober tie edges are not pressed completely flat, but instead are left to roll naturally, so they might appear a bit slimmer than specified. Not suggesting this is what's going on in your case, though.
Edited by Flyswatter - 10/14/13 at 11:11am
This is what I wrote in the notes. (I made a mistake above, the silk tie is 55", not 54".) David suggested shortening the grenadines to 53" and use a four in hand, and I said I'd trust his advice. So that's how the length came to be. As it turns out, the ties are a bit thicker than I thought they'd be, so next time, I'll go with at least a 56" length if not back to a 57" (1" less for grenadines). I know the grenadines will stretch and I suspect the shot silk will stretch a bit as well, so if I keep these, I'll want to wear them for a while before deciding on the length.
Length - most of my ties are around 57" and seem to be just a bit long with a half windsor and definitely too long with a four in hand. 55" might be a good starting point and we can adjust from there. Typically, I wear a half windsor - I will certainly wear a half or full windsor with the Thai silk and likely a half windsor with the grenadines unless the knots come out too large.
I prefer a medium to small knot, so a lighter construction is probably better - the 7-folds I have are too thick for my taste. Apart from that suggestion, I will leave the type of construction to you, but please let me know which construction you use so that I will know what adjustments to make in the future if needed.
Generally I like to end up with about 17.5" to 18" from the bottom of the knot to the tip of the tie, if that helps you with the taper.
After leaving a voice mail with me about changing the length of the grenadines, David sent this email to verify the dimensions, and that's where the mix up happened...
So now the whole story is told. My apologies to David if this is coming across as an ordeal. That is NOT my intention at all. I only posted to express frustration with myself - not with him.
I have one of David's black/white POW ties but not the #14. I believe the ties quoted below are the #14 though. Hope that helps.
As promised pictures of my two new hobers garza piccola bitter chocolate and pow plaid[IMG] Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
This is a great silk. Extremely dry and somewhat stiff.
Tons of pics in this thread, but I haven't seen one of the purple/black grenadine fina #35. I think the purple/black grenadines are underrated, as it makes a nice alternative to burgundy and looks great with gray and navy suits. I know PP posted his grossa example a while back, but can anyone share pics of the fina? Thinking about making that my next purchase, and/or the original SF club grenadine... or perhaps a neat since I have lots of solids and grenadines already, like mljs.
At long last here is the dark purple/black grenadine fina #35. Although my shirt stripes and jacket are washed out, I think the tie color is pretty true to life on my monitor. Sometimes it appears more violet, sometimes more magenta depending on the light.
Sorry for the delay, no work Monday for 15th Century War Criminal Day.
- A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- › WTB Our Legacy Moleskin Jean Jacket in Large 57 seconds ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 1 minute ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 1 minute ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 3 minutes ago
- › Random Food Questions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Any One for a Scotch? 5 minutes ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 5 minutes ago
- › Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here 5 minutes ago
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery...
- › Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I...
- › The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring...
- › 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Bourbon Season: Three Cocktails For Spring
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan