i would imagine so. because david is the nicest guy ever.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryTiestagged by SYSTEM, 8/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- marblehouse Final Clearance Thread - (Roda, E. Belvest, Drumohr, Zegna, Stile Latino, Tom Ford,... Last post on 9/19/15 at 7:57am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- Massdrop x Styleforum x Panta Madder Tie GMTO (official collaboration) Last post on 9/24/15 at 4:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread - Page 228
Styleforum Top Picks
53"?! Goodness. At such a short length, 3.25" isn't really all that skinny. EDIT: sprout beat me to it. ^
Did you request 3.625" in the notes when you initially placed the order? Also keep in mind that Hober tie edges are not pressed completely flat, but instead are left to roll naturally, so they might appear a bit slimmer than specified. Not suggesting this is what's going on in your case, though.
Edited by Flyswatter - 10/14/13 at 11:11am
This is what I wrote in the notes. (I made a mistake above, the silk tie is 55", not 54".) David suggested shortening the grenadines to 53" and use a four in hand, and I said I'd trust his advice. So that's how the length came to be. As it turns out, the ties are a bit thicker than I thought they'd be, so next time, I'll go with at least a 56" length if not back to a 57" (1" less for grenadines). I know the grenadines will stretch and I suspect the shot silk will stretch a bit as well, so if I keep these, I'll want to wear them for a while before deciding on the length.
Length - most of my ties are around 57" and seem to be just a bit long with a half windsor and definitely too long with a four in hand. 55" might be a good starting point and we can adjust from there. Typically, I wear a half windsor - I will certainly wear a half or full windsor with the Thai silk and likely a half windsor with the grenadines unless the knots come out too large.
I prefer a medium to small knot, so a lighter construction is probably better - the 7-folds I have are too thick for my taste. Apart from that suggestion, I will leave the type of construction to you, but please let me know which construction you use so that I will know what adjustments to make in the future if needed.
Generally I like to end up with about 17.5" to 18" from the bottom of the knot to the tip of the tie, if that helps you with the taper.
After leaving a voice mail with me about changing the length of the grenadines, David sent this email to verify the dimensions, and that's where the mix up happened...
So now the whole story is told. My apologies to David if this is coming across as an ordeal. That is NOT my intention at all. I only posted to express frustration with myself - not with him.
I have one of David's black/white POW ties but not the #14. I believe the ties quoted below are the #14 though. Hope that helps.
As promised pictures of my two new hobers garza piccola bitter chocolate and pow plaid[IMG] Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
This is a great silk. Extremely dry and somewhat stiff.
Tons of pics in this thread, but I haven't seen one of the purple/black grenadine fina #35. I think the purple/black grenadines are underrated, as it makes a nice alternative to burgundy and looks great with gray and navy suits. I know PP posted his grossa example a while back, but can anyone share pics of the fina? Thinking about making that my next purchase, and/or the original SF club grenadine... or perhaps a neat since I have lots of solids and grenadines already, like mljs.
At long last here is the dark purple/black grenadine fina #35. Although my shirt stripes and jacket are washed out, I think the tie color is pretty true to life on my monitor. Sometimes it appears more violet, sometimes more magenta depending on the light.
Sorry for the delay, no work Monday for 15th Century War Criminal Day.
- A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Nigel Cabourn 31 seconds ago
- › Skoak Carmina black jumper boot 34 seconds ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › 10D C&J for Polo RL (England) Algonquin Split Toe 2 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 3 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 5 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 6 minutes ago
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Hong Kong
- › Deals of the Week, September 21, 2015
- › The Buyer's Guide to Fall Jackets
- › Why Flight Jackets Make the Best Autumn...
- › Shirt Jackets: A Study in Indecision
- › Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth