or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread - Page 213

post #3181 of 5182
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdude View Post

Love that tie. I need that tie. I have the blue one, but not that one.

 

 :nodding:  Yes you do need the dark red, and I need the blue one.

post #3182 of 5182
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehotchili View Post
 

Should I stick with the "default" 4 fold construction -or- go with the 6-fold construction?  because of change of my role at work, i anticipate wearing more suits and will most likely be adding to the wardrobe.  i would just like to spend the extra $$$ to add quality items to my wardrobe. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyswatter View Post


As for construction, I've only tried the default lined 4-fold and unlined 7-fold, so I can't comment on lined 6-folds. Although I like the 7-folds, I think I prefer the standard 4-fold construction since it's significantly cheaper and ultimately makes for a more durable, longer lasting tie. The 4-folds have plenty of heft without being bulky, drape nicely as far as I'm concerned, and make perfect sized knots that dimple well, IMO.
If you can budget enough for two 6-fold Hober grenadines, I'd suggest instead opting for three 4-folds. The upcharge for two 6-folds is the same as the price of a single standard grenadine tie. I'm like you in that I don't wear suits/ties on a daily basis, although I enjoy it very much when I do. As such, most of my tie wardrobe consists of solid colored ties with texture (grenadines, knits) as they are the most versatile. If you're looking to expand your basic tie collection after navy and burgundy grenadines, I'd recommend black, brown, gray/silver, and green ties next, in that order.
Anyway, now I'm rambling. Like I said, you're on the right track. Can't really go wrong with Hober grenadines. smile.gif

 

+1.  Almost all of my Hober grenadines are 6-fold lined, the couple of ties that aren't 6-fold are the standard 4 fold construction.  While the 6-fold is a very cool "nice to have", the 4-fold tie is an excellent tie.  Given your starting point, I think sticking with 4-fold and acquiring a 3rd color is excellent advice.

post #3183 of 5182
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpanther View Post
 

 

 

 

+1.  Almost all of my Hober grenadines are 6-fold lined, the couple of ties that aren't 6-fold are the standard 4 fold construction.  While the 6-fold is a very cool "nice to have", the 4-fold tie is an excellent tie.  Given your starting point, I think sticking with 4-fold and acquiring a 3rd color is excellent advice.

 

Flyswatter, pinkpanther, scurvy freedman.... thanks guys for the great advice.  i'll look at some of the other burgundies and maybe up my initial order to 3 4-fold construction ties just to have more variety.  i'll also look into untipped finish.  Thanks again all!  I'll post some updates when they come in....

post #3184 of 5182
David told me that the Oxford is darker than the diamond, with the silk reppe burnt orange between the two. So order placed for the Oxford.

Meanwhile, here is the reppe one. Gearing up for autumn.

umamy7ar.jpg
post #3185 of 5182
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdude View Post

David told me that the Oxford is darker than the diamond, with the silk reppe burnt orange between the two. So order placed for the Oxford.

Meanwhile, here is the reppe one. Gearing up for autumn.
 

 

Awesome, simply awesome tdude! :slayer:

post #3186 of 5182

Today's Hober is the rose pink oxford weave (3-fold construction).



 





 

post #3187 of 5182
Wow. Striking color. I wouldn't have guessed that hue upon hearing "rose-pink" together. I really like that.
post #3188 of 5182
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdude View Post

Wow. Striking color. I wouldn't have guessed that hue upon hearing "rose-pink" together. I really like that.

 

 

Thank you sir!  The color in the pic is pretty true to life.  I also have the rose pink diamond weave and the hue is pretty different from the oxford weave.

post #3189 of 5182
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpanther View Post

Today's Hober is the rose pink oxford weave (3-fold construction).



 


Very nice!
post #3190 of 5182

Today, we have the midnight navy fina:

 

post #3191 of 5182
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarim View Post


Very nice!

 

Thank you sir!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroaker View Post
 

Today, we have the midnight navy fina:

 

 

 

Excellent Kroaker! :slayer:

post #3192 of 5182

Today's Hober is the midnight blue oxford weave (3-fold construction).



 





 

post #3193 of 5182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroaker View Post

Today, we have the midnight navy fina:



I'm rooting for your improving dimple. It seems to get better each time you post. You can do it!
post #3194 of 5182
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftiger View Post


I'm rooting for your improving dimple. It seems to get better each time you post. You can do it!

 

Thank you!  I was kind of proud of it today.

post #3195 of 5182
Great ties today fellas! The more I see of the oxford ties, the more I want some.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread