or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread - Page 168

post #2506 of 5339
Quote:
Originally Posted by elstinnett View Post

Received my shipping notice late last night/early this AM for my most recent order.  Went with Macclesfield #84, a Navy and Powder Houndstooth, a Navy fina, and a the Powder Blue stripe on midnight grenadine!  This brings my total of Hobers up to 7.  I'm already thinking about a seven fold grenadine and some diamond weaves for my next order...

Nice choices. Navy and powder houndstooth will be in my next order if they have it in stock July 28th (NPC grace period).
post #2507 of 5339
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post


Nice choices. Navy and powder houndstooth will be in my next order if they have it in stock July 28th (NPC grace period).

I would be very interested to see the navy and powder worn successfully. It looks gorgeous, just not sure what I would wear it with. Pink? I'd fear wearing it with white/blue patterned due to the similarities. 

 

Keep in mind I have no imagination.

post #2508 of 5339
Latest Hober acquisition. Posted pics of it a few days ago. Here's a shot "in action":



Unlined, untipped navy grenadine fina, true 7-fold. Clearly, I need practice on my tie selfie pics to get to the level of PP and other posters in this thread. wink.gif

I haven't really worn the tie yet--just tried it on to see what kind of knot it makes and how it drapes, as this is my first unlined tie and first 7-fold. As suspected, the knot and drape are absolutely incredible. Sadly though, I will need to be selling this tie (and have already listed it here), as I totally neglected to account for the inherent stretch of an unlined grenadine. I specified the length to be 60", which has become my ideal length. After trying the tie on twice and being very gentle when tying and untying it, it stretched to 61.5". confused.gif Someone hurry up and buy it from me so I can order another one in a shorter length. biggrin.gif
post #2509 of 5339

Classic look Fly. Probably a silly question but are 7-fold ties generally unlined? I suppose having a lining to give it better shape would make it too thick?

post #2510 of 5339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyswatter View Post

Latest Hober acquisition. Posted pics of it a few days ago. Here's a shot "in action":
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



Unlined, untipped navy grenadine fina, true 7-fold. Clearly, I need practice on my tie selfie pics to get to the level of PP and other posters in this thread. wink.gif

I haven't really worn the tie yet--just tried it on to see what kind of knot it makes and how it drapes, as this is my first unlined tie and first 7-fold. As suspected, the knot and drape are absolutely incredible. Sadly though, I will need to be selling this tie (and have already listed it here), as I totally neglected to account for the inherent stretch of an unlined grenadine. I specified the length to be 60", which has become my ideal length. After trying the tie on twice and being very gentle when tying and untying it, it stretched to 61.5". confused.gif Someone hurry up and buy it from me so I can order another one in a shorter length. biggrin.gif

 

 

that is a beautiful tie, knot, dimple. wow  I have the grossa, maybe I need the fina too (cant buy yours though, I wear 57-58".)

post #2511 of 5339
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

I would be very interested to see the navy and powder worn successfully. It looks gorgeous, just not sure what I would wear it with. Pink? I'd fear wearing it with white/blue patterned due to the similarities. 

Keep in mind I have no imagination.

smile.gif This was my effort a few weeks ago. Solid navy suit and solid shirt. I think it would also pair nicely with various striped shirts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpanther View Post

Today's Hober is the english pattern #20 (3-fold construction).


post #2512 of 5339
Hi Arch, could you pls identify the 2nd from bottom? Does it reflect the true color IRL? Looks very nice and rich.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

Repost of part of my collection that includes the 3 flower ties. The red and light blue flower tie does have a bit of sheen but not as much as in the picture. I still prefer the blue and blues.

post #2513 of 5339
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpanther View Post

smile.gif This was my effort a few weeks ago. Solid navy suit and solid shirt. I think it would also pair nicely with various striped shirts.

My first attempt will be a solid navy suit with a solid white shirt as well. Simple background to allow the tie to shine.
post #2514 of 5339
Quote:
Originally Posted by obama View Post

Hi Arch, could you pls identify the 2nd from bottom? Does it reflect the true color IRL? Looks very nice and rich.

Burgundy is pretty true to life but the pin dots are a bit washed out. It's the green pin dots on burgundy tie.

http://www.samhober.com/pin-dot-silk-ties/green-dots-on-burgundy-pin-dot-silk-tie-7.html
post #2515 of 5339
Thanks. Arch. Nice tie!
post #2516 of 5339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yowzer View Post

Classic look Fly. Probably a silly question but are 7-fold ties generally unlined? I suppose having a lining to give it better shape would make it too thick?

Thanks! I'm no expert on 7-folds as this is my first, but yes, I believe they are generally unlined, especially a grenadine (though an unlined, true 7-fold grenadine is a bit of a rarity). Being that a 7-fold uses roughly twice the amount of silk as a normal 3 or 4 fold, it is plenty thick enough without an interlining. However, as noted above, the lack of a lining does mean the silk will stretch and wrinkle more easily. I guess this is the reason why many "7-folds" are actually lined 6-folds. Still, I quite like this unlined 7-fold, and while I wouldn't want all my ties to be of this variety, I think it would be nice to own a few more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdude View Post

that is a beautiful tie, knot, dimple. wow  I have the grossa, maybe I need the fina too (cant buy yours though, I wear 57-58".)

All of my Hober ties knot and dimple wonderfully, but this one takes the cake. nod[1].gif
post #2517 of 5339
The "SF Club Tie" (navy grenadine w/ powder blue and brown stripes) has been restocked. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif Also, eagerly awaiting pics of the new striped grenadines.
post #2518 of 5339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyswatter View Post

The "SF Club Tie" (navy grenadine w/ powder blue and brown stripes) has been restocked. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif Also, eagerly awaiting pics of the new striped grenadines.

Ordering one (@Claghorn, not for me - for a friends wedding in October)! Hopefully he still has them later for me.

post #2519 of 5339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yowzer View Post

Classic look Fly. Probably a silly question but are 7-fold ties generally unlined? I suppose having a lining to give it better shape would make it too thick?

A traditional 7 fold tie is unlined. Many who prefer the overall look and feel of a 7 fold, but want arguably more durability, less stretching/twisting, and arguably a better drape, will opt for a lined 6 fold tie (which, of course, Hober has as an option).

I'm not advocating for one or the other, but my personal preference for tie construction is probably a lined 6 fold.
post #2520 of 5339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyswatter View Post


Thanks! I'm no expert on 7-folds as this is my first, but yes, I believe they are generally unlined, especially a grenadine (though an unlined, true 7-fold grenadine is a bit of a rarity). Being that a 7-fold uses roughly twice the amount of silk as a normal 3 or 4 fold, it is plenty thick enough without an interlining. However, as noted above, the lack of a lining does mean the silk will stretch and wrinkle more easily. I guess this is the reason why many "7-folds" are actually lined 6-folds. Still, I quite like this unlined 7-fold, and while I wouldn't want all my ties to be of this variety, I think it would be nice to own a few more.
All of my Hober ties knot and dimple wonderfully, but this one takes the cake. nod[1].gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post


A traditional 7 fold tie is unlined. Many who prefer the overall look and feel of a 7 fold, but want arguably more durability, less stretching/twisting, and arguably a better drape, will opt for a lined 6 fold tie (which, of course, Hober has as an option).

I'm not advocating for one or the other, but my personal preference for tie construction is probably a lined 6 fold.

 

Thanks guys... the info is very useful. The lining route is looking more preferable since it would likely mean a longer tie-life over time. Been looking at a Fina since the last diamond weave and was thinking of going full bore for either a 6/7-fold. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread