or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread - Page 165

post #2461 of 5453
Thread Starter 
PP - glad to have influenced you. that houndstooth is awesome indeed.

jester - if it makes you happy, the next few hobers i want are all patterns. smile.gif
post #2462 of 5453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engi View Post

The answer, based also on David (Sam) feedback, is yes.

Ciao

Engi

Thanks! Yes, David also confirmed my hunch that these might stretch a bit more than usual.

And lol, jester, quit trolling us with your grenadine hate. tongue.gif I agree with everything that's been said above in defense of grenadines. They are my favorite ties, hands down. I do love me some wool, linen, and shantungs for all their texture, but like stitchy said, those tend to be seasonal and less formal. Grenadines reign supreme in terms of versatility, IMO.
post #2463 of 5453
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

PP - glad to have influenced you. that houndstooth is awesome indeed.

jester - if it makes you happy, the next few hobers i want are all patterns. smile.gif

I like that houndstooth too, actually. Just looked.

 

Sweet. Let's see some patterns up in this B***H!

post #2464 of 5453
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

no srsly, some people just love a solid tie. i do. often i prefer a solid tie to a pattern, even though a pattern would work.

I frequently wear patterned shirts and patterned squares, so I generally like solid ties. Grenadine gives texture without giving me another pattern. I also like royal oxford solid shirts, which have a small weave texture and looks great with a grenadine grossa larger texture.
post #2465 of 5453
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpanther View Post

 

I do understand where you are coming from with the same song analogy.  The primary reason I started posting pics in this thread was that I wanted to show some non-grenadine Hober ties because the few (relatively speaking) non-grenadine pics did influence me to try them and I liked them at least as much as the grenadines. 

 

A case in point is in the first post of the entire thread where in stiches posted a pic of the peach houndstooth pattern tie.  I wanted that one from the moment I saw the photo (took me a while as I stalked David's website for the day the material was replenished).

 

All that said, the same grenadine song is a classic that I do appreciate.  Also, while we see a lot of grenadines on this site and particularly in this thread I have yet to see another soul IRL besides me wearing one, so they seem to be quite rare (at least in the space I occupy).

I'll second the notion that while this board and especially this thread talk a big grenadine game, in the real world, I haven't seen them worn.  I'm the only one I know who wears them.

post #2466 of 5453

Well, same thing here. I've never seen one other than my one hanging up (and other one when Ed is off vacation). I come here because I like to see nice fits and a lot have grenadines. But I believe it was solved;

 

More grenadines here since it's the largest grenadine selection around.

post #2467 of 5453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroaker View Post

I'll second the notion that while this board and especially this thread talk a big grenadine game, in the real world, I haven't seen them worn.  I'm the only one I know who wears them.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

Well, same thing here. I've never seen one other than my one hanging up (and other one when Ed is off vacation). I come here because I like to see nice fits and a lot have grenadines. But I believe it was solved;

 

More grenadines here since it's the largest grenadine selection around.

 

TBH, the rarity of grenadines IRL is yet another thing that makes them appealing to me.  I just make sure I give equal opportunity to the other great ties that David offers!

post #2468 of 5453
^^ Interesting conversation going here.

While I like grenadines, I don't necessarily find them more appealing than non-grenadine silk ties. But they are certainly unique. For me, Granadines are best done in solids. I find that I like non-grenadines for stripes and pindots. My latest tie acquisition was a non-solid Robert Talbott Sevenfold Grenadine. The Hober currently en route to me is an oxford silk.

To each their own.
post #2469 of 5453
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpanther View Post


TBH, the rarity of grenadines IRL is yet another thing that makes them appealing to me.  I just make sure I give equal opportunity to the other great ties that David offers!

Agree with this completely. Just for fun, I decided to go through my Hober order history. Turns out 11 of the 35 Hobers I've ordered are grenadines (9 solid, 1 pindot, 1 striped), 4 are diamond weaves, 2 are madder twills, plus three solid blues in various fabrics and a variety of patterns and stripes. I look at my 34 Hobers (one died a tragic death involving a drunk person bumping into me and spilling an entire glass of red wine on my shirt and tie), however, and rather than thinking I have enough ties, think things like "I could use some more diamond weaves and really want to check out the oxford weaves and wool ties." Mere obsession with grenadine would have been easier and better for my wallet.
post #2470 of 5453

Dude

 

Did he pay for the tie?

post #2471 of 5453
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

Dude

Did he pay for the tie?

Nope. Disappeared into the crowd. I think I'm going to finally get around to replacing it 3 years later though.
post #2472 of 5453
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman View Post

I frequently wear patterned shirts and patterned squares, so I generally like solid ties. Grenadine gives texture without giving me another pattern. I also like royal oxford solid shirts, which have a small weave texture and looks great with a grenadine grossa larger texture.

yep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroaker View Post

I'll second the notion that while this board and especially this thread talk a big grenadine game, in the real world, I haven't seen them worn.  I'm the only one I know who wears them.

much of SF is like that. we are but a small collection of wackos in a world of billions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpanther View Post

TBH, the rarity of grenadines IRL is yet another thing that makes them appealing to me.  I just make sure I give equal opportunity to the other great ties that David offers!

yep.
post #2473 of 5453

Yeah yeah yeah. Grenadines are lovely and rare IRL.

 

GIMME SOME PATTERNS!

 

Reminder: I do love Grenadines. Just being the Devils Advocate.

post #2474 of 5453
Thread Starter 
there is room for both in every mans closet. I definitely have more pattered ties than grenadines.
post #2475 of 5453
(one died a tragic death involving a drunk person bumping into me and spilling an entire glass of red wine on my shirt and tie),

Did the shirt die too? biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread