or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread - Page 133

post #1981 of 5696
Hi syeknom, good advice. Upon reading the input here. I have decided to go for navy and chocolate. I have a thought that I should go for one darker and one brighter for more diversity. So, navy (instead of dark navy) & (the darker) bitter chocolate. Both finas or fina navy + grossa bitter (recommended by you), for that I am still thinking.

I like untipped very much. Think it is a good details. But I am also thinking whether I should go for one of the ties tipped to add some diversity. May I know any of you prefer tipped to untipped and the reason? Does it offer better drape due to weight?
post #1982 of 5696
Quote:
Originally Posted by obama View Post

Also, may I like the reason you sou much prefer fina over grossa?

I can't really articulate why exactly I prefer fina over grossa, other than to say I like the look of the smaller weave. I do still like grenadine grossas though, and think it's good to have some of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syeknom View Post

Flyswatter, have you considered forgoing the keeper of your ties entirely? I imagine it making for quite a different drape and weight.

I have indeed considered it, but so far have not sprung for any keeper-less ties. I recall reading a while back in this thread a member mentioning he has David leave the keepers off. I can't imagine it making a huge difference in weight and drape, but I could be wrong. I believe Vanda makes their ties exclusively without keepers. Maybe I will discuss keeper-less ties with David for my next order. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by obama View Post

I like untipped very much. Think it is a good details. But I am also thinking whether I should go for one of the ties tipped to add some diversity. May I know any of you prefer tipped to untipped and the reason? Does it offer better drape due to weight?

I've ordered some of my Hobers with self tipping and some untipped with hand-rolled edges. At first, I was a bit hesitant to order untipped grenadines, but the see-through appearance has really grown on me. It's a unique, "sprezzy" look and gives the tie a bit of a lighter feel. Plus, the hand-rolled edges are a beautiful touch of meticulous craftsmanship which I really appreciate.
post #1983 of 5696

Is there an upcharge for untipped and hand-rolled edges?

 

Good news for me my firm are giving me my bonus early - hooray! "Bad" news is that I'm off to Iceland in two weeks so there's no sense in ordering my ties right now, argh!

post #1984 of 5696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syeknom View Post

Is there an upcharge for untipped and hand-rolled edges?

Good news for me my firm are giving me my bonus early - hooray! "Bad" news is that I'm off to Iceland in two weeks so there's no sense in ordering my ties right now, argh!

Great news on your bonus, congrats!

There is an up charge for untipped, hand-rolled edges. I think it is generally $10 but check the tie construction page on David's site.

Safe travels and happy shopping,icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Edited by pinkpanther - 5/27/13 at 5:18am
post #1985 of 5696

Cheers! $10 seems quite reasonable. :) Couldn't find the relevant information on the tie pricing page

post #1986 of 5696
Quote:
Originally Posted by obama View Post

Hi syeknom, good advice. Upon reading the input here. I have decided to go for navy and chocolate. I have a thought that I should go for one darker and one brighter for more diversity. So, navy (instead of dark navy) & (the darker) bitter chocolate. Both finas or fina navy + grossa bitter (recommended by you), for that I am still thinking.

A couple of thoughts before you start your Hober journey. First, I would suggest limiting your first order to a couple ties. Pick the size, length you want and then do each tie in some different options (more folds, unlined, etc). This way you can experiment to see what you like or if you need to make some adjustments on your next order. Second, with you first order get some swatch sets. David's pictures are pretty good but the real thing is much better to know the exact color and texture. Finally, don't hesitate to email David and ask him questions. He is very professional and extremely helpful.

Enjoy your new Hober ties and don't forget to post pics!
post #1987 of 5696
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

whatcha get?

A few 7-fold grenadines and new twills
post #1988 of 5696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syeknom View Post

Cheers! $10 seems quite reasonable. smile.gif Couldn't find the relevant information on the tie pricing page

It's on the tie construction page. See the tag on the left hand side.
post #1989 of 5696

congrats sye and Obama.  I agree with flyswatter on the dark chocolate.  especially the fina weave.  For some reason its richness hits my eye just right.  Striking.  Unlike flyswatter though, I prefer everything to be conservative--no back blade showing, no see through tips, etc.  But that's really driven by my job more than anything else, cause when I see some of that sprezz in pics here, I like it. 

 

All that's to say though that panther is right, order a couple first AFTER emailing with David to nail down your preferences.  For example, if you decide that you like the back blade to be the same length as the front, but you don't tell David that, he might assume that you want a 61 inch tie because your 6'3".  Then the taper of the tie might be such that where your knot falls on your 5'10" frame might be the wrong length/size.  Tell David your details first and then let the bank book wail!

post #1990 of 5696
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpanther View Post

A couple of thoughts before you start your Hober journey. First, I would suggest limiting your first order to a couple ties. Pick the size, length you want and then do each tie in some different options (more folds, unlined, etc). This way you can experiment to see what you like or if you need to make some adjustments on your next order. Second, with you first order get some swatch sets. David's pictures are pretty good but the real thing is much better to know the exact color and texture. Finally, don't hesitate to email David and ask him questions. He is very professional and extremely helpful.

Enjoy your new Hober ties and don't forget to post pics!

Great suggestion! I almost forgot the swatch thing. But that forces me to start thinking my next order. This swatch thing is dangerous. So is the suggestion here wink.gif
post #1991 of 5696
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdude View Post

if you decide that you like the back blade to be the same length as the front, but you don't tell David that, he might assume that you want a 61 inch tie because your 6'3".  Then the taper of the tie might be such that where your knot falls on your 5'10" frame might be the wrong length/size.  Tell David your details first and then let the bank book wail!

Oh. .... That is a great point. Never thought about that. So Inaddition to the length of the toe, I need to tell David how much the wide end of the finished product is longer than the narrower end. Thanks.
post #1992 of 5696
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post


Stripes and other patterns:


Which is the green tie, third from the top?

Also, does anyone have Macclesfield #190? I'd be interesting in seeing a pic, if you do!

post #1993 of 5696
Mr. Six, the tie is the English Geometric #1 (Appears to be out of stock at the moment).

http://www.samhober.com/geometric-silk-ties-en/english-geometric-silk-tie-1.html
post #1994 of 5696

Burgundy diamond weave (3-fold construction) in action.

 

post #1995 of 5696
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringodaddy View Post

Has anyone purchased:  a "rough Thai silk" tie?  If you can share pics that'd be great!
 

Have not taken the plunge into ordering one of the ties, but the swatches arrived today. Here's a picture of all of them and more of a close-up of a few to give a slightly better sense of texture (what one can get from my phone camera).



New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread