or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread - Page 130

post #1936 of 5208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syeknom View Post

Beautiful choices, really lovely. What construction?

4 fold grenadine; 3 fold for the pin dot. Both 3.5" wide x 55" long.

I've also got the dark navy grossa, dark red grossa, dark purple/black fina, English stripe #33 (purple/silvery white).
post #1937 of 5208

Today's Hober is the silk paisley #8 (3-fold construction).  Pretty sure this won't be SF-approved...but I like it a lot and, consistent with my other Hobers, it ties a fantastic knot.  Happy Monday to all!

 

post #1938 of 5208

That's certainly.. striking! Knot and dimple are lovely at least :)

post #1939 of 5208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syeknom View Post

That's certainly.. striking! Knot and dimple are lovely at least :)

smile.gif

post #1940 of 5208
Atkinson's. a5u9e2ur.jpg
post #1941 of 5208
Hi guys,

long time lurker first time poster - recently got two fantastic Kent Wang ties, a grenadine and a pin dot, at the same time that I had my first MTM suit done with MJBale. The surprise to me was turning up to work and having compliments from everyone! Plus, for the first time ever I am becoming proud of what I'm wearing - which is a very nice bonus.

However - now that I've seen what a difference this can make and I've seen the beautiful ties in this thread I want more! Unfortunately I've hopped onto the Sam Hober website and am almost overwhelmed with choice. So far I've picked out a striped grenadine, a forest green grenadine and a similar diamond weave to the one recently posted - but I would love some recommendations for 2 or 3 more that would be private banking appropriate - doesn't have to be ultra conservative, but I would probably struggle to get away with anything too casual (although I am going to order the rough silk swatches as they look very nice).

Basically I've realised that outside of my two KW ties, I probably only have one other tie that isn't too dated (I just hadn't realised the importance until now and I don't want to turn back now that I am moving down to Melbourne into a new position and want to make a good impression from the start!)

Any recommendations appreciated - and if this post shouldn't be in this thread I apologise for the hijacking and am happy for it to be moved / deleted.

Al
post #1942 of 5208

Definitely the right place to post this question.

 

Grossa striped

 

 

Cashmere

 

 

 

Grenadine pin dot

post #1943 of 5208
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanm View Post

Hi guys,

long time lurker first time poster - recently got two fantastic Kent Wang ties, a grenadine and a pin dot, at the same time that I had my first MTM suit done with MJBale. The surprise to me was turning up to work and having compliments from everyone! Plus, for the first time ever I am becoming proud of what I'm wearing - which is a very nice bonus.

However - now that I've seen what a difference this can make and I've seen the beautiful ties in this thread I want more! Unfortunately I've hopped onto the Sam Hober website and am almost overwhelmed with choice. So far I've picked out a striped grenadine, a forest green grenadine and a similar diamond weave to the one recently posted - but I would love some recommendations for 2 or 3 more that would be private banking appropriate - doesn't have to be ultra conservative, but I would probably struggle to get away with anything too casual (although I am going to order the rough silk swatches as they look very nice).

Basically I've realised that outside of my two KW ties, I probably only have one other tie that isn't too dated (I just hadn't realised the importance until now and I don't want to turn back now that I am moving down to Melbourne into a new position and want to make a good impression from the start!)

Any recommendations appreciated - and if this post shouldn't be in this thread I apologise for the hijacking and am happy for it to be moved / deleted.

Al

I love the navy grossa grenadine. It was my first Hober and probably my most used tie. I most frequently wear shirts that are light blue or light blue/white semi-solid, so navy goes with them well.

I also gravitate toward purple ties. As long as the pattern is simple I think they are not too bright/flashy and go equally well with navy or grey suits as well as both light blue and white shirts. I have the dark purple/black fina grenadine, the English dot silk #2, and English stripe #33 (which may have been discontinued). I've also got 3 purples loaded on my wish list- plum thai rough silk, purple grenadine grossa, powder blue on dark purple flower silk.

Any of the darker grenadines work in a conservative environment and I would try out the different weaves. I have two grossa, one fina, and one piccola so far.

I know the bitter chocolate is popular among forumites and the power blue and brown stripes on midnight blue grenadine appears to be the official tie of SF. Unfortunately it's out of stock right now. The Macclasfield printed silk ties in navy are also very popular and professional.

Good luck. And, don't buy too many the first time. Make sure you get your length and width perfected before you go for the motherload. David's recommendations for determining length are very good. Follow them as best you can and you can always email him with questions.
post #1944 of 5208
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanm View Post

Hi guys,

long time lurker first time poster - recently got two fantastic Kent Wang ties, a grenadine and a pin dot, at the same time that I had my first MTM suit done with MJBale. The surprise to me was turning up to work and having compliments from everyone! Plus, for the first time ever I am becoming proud of what I'm wearing - which is a very nice bonus.

However - now that I've seen what a difference this can make and I've seen the beautiful ties in this thread I want more! Unfortunately I've hopped onto the Sam Hober website and am almost overwhelmed with choice. So far I've picked out a striped grenadine, a forest green grenadine and a similar diamond weave to the one recently posted - but I would love some recommendations for 2 or 3 more that would be private banking appropriate - doesn't have to be ultra conservative, but I would probably struggle to get away with anything too casual (although I am going to order the rough silk swatches as they look very nice).

Basically I've realised that outside of my two KW ties, I probably only have one other tie that isn't too dated (I just hadn't realised the importance until now and I don't want to turn back now that I am moving down to Melbourne into a new position and want to make a good impression from the start!)

Any recommendations appreciated - and if this post shouldn't be in this thread I apologise for the hijacking and am happy for it to be moved / deleted.

Al

Definitely go for some neat macclesfields. Navy, brown, grays. They go with everything and, like the grenadines, you probably won't encounter anyone wearing something like it.
post #1945 of 5208
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanm View Post

Hi guys,

long time lurker first time poster - recently got two fantastic Kent Wang ties, a grenadine and a pin dot, at the same time that I had my first MTM suit done with MJBale. The surprise to me was turning up to work and having compliments from everyone! Plus, for the first time ever I am becoming proud of what I'm wearing - which is a very nice bonus.

However - now that I've seen what a difference this can make and I've seen the beautiful ties in this thread I want more! Unfortunately I've hopped onto the Sam Hober website and am almost overwhelmed with choice. So far I've picked out a striped grenadine, a forest green grenadine and a similar diamond weave to the one recently posted - but I would love some recommendations for 2 or 3 more that would be private banking appropriate - doesn't have to be ultra conservative, but I would probably struggle to get away with anything too casual (although I am going to order the rough silk swatches as they look very nice).

Basically I've realised that outside of my two KW ties, I probably only have one other tie that isn't too dated (I just hadn't realised the importance until now and I don't want to turn back now that I am moving down to Melbourne into a new position and want to make a good impression from the start!)

Any recommendations appreciated - and if this post shouldn't be in this thread I apologise for the hijacking and am happy for it to be moved / deleted.

Al

 

+1 to advice given from Claghorn, scurvy, and tdude.  Also, you may want to take a look at the charcoal gray/silver grenadine grossa.

post #1946 of 5208
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman View Post


I also gravitate toward purple ties. As long as the pattern is simple I think they are not too bright/flashy and go equally well with navy or grey suits as well as both light blue and white shirts. I have the dark purple/black fina grenadine, the English dot silk #2, and English stripe #33 (which may have been discontinued). I've also got 3 purples loaded on my wish list- plum thai rough silk, purple grenadine grossa, powder blue on dark purple flower silk.
 

 

Stealing this thought from scurvyfreedman today (although this may be too flashy...devil.gif).  This is the dark purple diamond weave (3-fold construction) in action.

 

post #1947 of 5208
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpanther View Post

Stealing this thought from scurvyfreedman today (although this may be too flashy...devil.gif ).  This is the dark purple diamond weave (3-fold construction) in action.

Thanks for the HT. Here's English Dot Silk #2 following my purple theme. 3-fold.

First attempt at self photo using iphone. I hope to improve the effort in the future to match pinkpanther.

post #1948 of 5208
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpanther View Post

Stealing this thought from scurvyfreedman today (although this may be too flashy...devil.gif ).  This is the dark purple diamond weave (3-fold construction) in action.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I don't have any purple ties, but . . . . Well maybe just not yet.
(icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif)
post #1949 of 5208

^ Purple-tone ties are the best. Along with green-tone ties, they're the most versatile after navy.

post #1950 of 5208
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman View Post


Thanks for the HT. Here's English Dot Silk #2 following my purple theme. 3-fold.

First attempt at self photo using iphone. I hope to improve the effort in the future to match pinkpanther.
 

 

Keep on snapping the photos, it is all the pics in this thread that feed my addiction! I have Macclesfield print that is similar.  Love it! fistbump.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdude View Post


I don't have any purple ties, but . . . . Well maybe just not yet.
(icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif)

 

You need some purple in your life.  cheers.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread