Haha. My order shipped March 8 via registered airmail. David says to allow three weeks for delivery, but from what I've gathered reading this thread, it's usually only about two weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryTiestagged by SYSTEM, 8/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- Gallery Contest - Classic menswear scorekeeper thread. Last post on 5/12/15 at 6:23am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF MAR 30, 2015 Last post on 4/12/15 at 4:06pm in Classic Menswear
- David Fin - Official Affiliate Thread Last post on 5/20/15 at 1:33pm in Classic Menswear
- Ragged (!) Trousered Philanthropists Last post on 6/29/15 at 11:57pm in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread - Page 112
Styleforum Top Picks
Images of the new macclesfields are up!
Hmm, since I posted that link, it seems to have changed to http://www.samhober.com/macclesfield-printed-silk-ties/
Unfortunately not mine . It was a pic taken from earlier in this thread of one someone else's 6-fold Hober grenatines. Just thought it looked awesome, lol. Fortunately though, I'll be getting my own dark navy grenadine from Hober soon, although mine will be the standard 4-fold.
Images of the new Rough Thai Silk are up now too - http://www.samhober.com/rough-thai-silk-ties/
These look great. So are these shantung? I know shantung is a rough silk fabric as well, but is there a difference between shantung and these? Definitely some great summer ties, I particularly like the burnt orange and ocean blue.
Your question is a good one.
I will answer in general about all ties not only ours.
You need to start with thinking what you would like to endup with as the weight of your tie.
So if you are thinking of something light it would be a good idea to go with a 3 fold tie. Or 4-fold for grenadines as the fourth fold does not add weight but helps with a grenadine's durability.
If you like heavy ties consider a 6 fold. Or perhaps a unlined 7-fold - although 7-folds wrinkle more and do not hold their shape as well as a lined 6-fold.
There is normally no need to consider a tie heavier than a 6-fold unless the fabric is very light then you can consider an 8-fold to add more weight.
So it becomes part science thinking of the fabric weight with a bit of art/craft balancing the different constructions into the final product.
In the end quality depends on working slowly with hand craftmanship.
Great explanation David. So what types of fabrics would you consider light enough to warrant considering an 8-fold tie?
- A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 17 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 minute ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 5 minutes ago
- › suede shoes - post 'em here! 7 minutes ago
- › The Official Bontoni Appreciation Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 8 minutes ago
- › Repair of Nomos watch taking way too long 10 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 10 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...