Haha. My order shipped March 8 via registered airmail. David says to allow three weeks for delivery, but from what I've gathered reading this thread, it's usually only about two weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryTiestagged by SYSTEM, 8/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- H.N. White - Handmade English Ties - Official Affiliate Thread Last post on Yesterday at 6:55 am in Classic Menswear
- CONSOLIDATED! marblehouse Final Clearance Thread - Pocket Squares, Ties, Shirts, Pants, Jackets... Last post on 11/17/15 at 5:09pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Neckties: A Discussion Thread Last post on 11/21/15 at 4:39pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- Massdrop x Styleforum x Panta Madder Tie GMTO (official collaboration) Last post on 11/24/15 at 4:27pm in Classic Menswear
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread - Page 112
Styleforum Top Picks
Images of the new macclesfields are up!
Hmm, since I posted that link, it seems to have changed to http://www.samhober.com/macclesfield-printed-silk-ties/
Unfortunately not mine . It was a pic taken from earlier in this thread of one someone else's 6-fold Hober grenatines. Just thought it looked awesome, lol. Fortunately though, I'll be getting my own dark navy grenadine from Hober soon, although mine will be the standard 4-fold.
Images of the new Rough Thai Silk are up now too - http://www.samhober.com/rough-thai-silk-ties/
These look great. So are these shantung? I know shantung is a rough silk fabric as well, but is there a difference between shantung and these? Definitely some great summer ties, I particularly like the burnt orange and ocean blue.
Your question is a good one.
I will answer in general about all ties not only ours.
You need to start with thinking what you would like to endup with as the weight of your tie.
So if you are thinking of something light it would be a good idea to go with a 3 fold tie. Or 4-fold for grenadines as the fourth fold does not add weight but helps with a grenadine's durability.
If you like heavy ties consider a 6 fold. Or perhaps a unlined 7-fold - although 7-folds wrinkle more and do not hold their shape as well as a lined 6-fold.
There is normally no need to consider a tie heavier than a 6-fold unless the fabric is very light then you can consider an 8-fold to add more weight.
So it becomes part science thinking of the fabric weight with a bit of art/craft balancing the different constructions into the final product.
In the end quality depends on working slowly with hand craftmanship.
Great explanation David. So what types of fabrics would you consider light enough to warrant considering an 8-fold tie?
- A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 1 minute ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing,... 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Vintage Clothing and Accessories Thread 2 minutes ago
- › NWT! Versatile Drop Crotch / Anti-fit Tama Pants by Cheap Monday -... 3 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 5 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › HOF: Labels, heels and nail patterns - Secrets to ID the maker 7 minutes ago
- › Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only 9 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories