Haha. My order shipped March 8 via registered airmail. David says to allow three weeks for delivery, but from what I've gathered reading this thread, it's usually only about two weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryTiestagged by SYSTEM, 8/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- Tie Thread - T&A, H&K, Rubinacci, Zegna, Cappelli, PZ Sartoriale, etc. Last post on 7/20/14 at 7:10pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Ties for sale, all are either BNWT or BNWOT-Many maker Last post on 6/28/14 at 9:19am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- A bunch of ties-NWOT, NWT from Drake's, Isaia and Panta Last post on 1/24/14 at 7:50pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NWOT RLPL and RLBL ties Last post on 8/21/13 at 9:28pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread - Page 112
Styleforum Top Picks
Images of the new macclesfields are up!
Hmm, since I posted that link, it seems to have changed to http://www.samhober.com/macclesfield-printed-silk-ties/
Unfortunately not mine . It was a pic taken from earlier in this thread of one someone else's 6-fold Hober grenatines. Just thought it looked awesome, lol. Fortunately though, I'll be getting my own dark navy grenadine from Hober soon, although mine will be the standard 4-fold.
Images of the new Rough Thai Silk are up now too - http://www.samhober.com/rough-thai-silk-ties/
These look great. So are these shantung? I know shantung is a rough silk fabric as well, but is there a difference between shantung and these? Definitely some great summer ties, I particularly like the burnt orange and ocean blue.
Your question is a good one.
I will answer in general about all ties not only ours.
You need to start with thinking what you would like to endup with as the weight of your tie.
So if you are thinking of something light it would be a good idea to go with a 3 fold tie. Or 4-fold for grenadines as the fourth fold does not add weight but helps with a grenadine's durability.
If you like heavy ties consider a 6 fold. Or perhaps a unlined 7-fold - although 7-folds wrinkle more and do not hold their shape as well as a lined 6-fold.
There is normally no need to consider a tie heavier than a 6-fold unless the fabric is very light then you can consider an 8-fold to add more weight.
So it becomes part science thinking of the fabric weight with a bit of art/craft balancing the different constructions into the final product.
In the end quality depends on working slowly with hand craftmanship.
Great explanation David. So what types of fabrics would you consider light enough to warrant considering an 8-fold tie?
- A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Viberg Boots 47 seconds ago
- › GentlemensFootwear.com (Carmina, Drakes, Cappelli, Finamore) -... 1 minute ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 1 minute ago
- › Balmoral Boot Porn 2 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 5 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 7 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 11 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 11 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 13 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)