I ordered my first two ties from SH. I'm used to wearing cheaper ties, like $20-40 range. This will be my first "nice tie" pickup. I went with grenadine midnight blue and also a grenadine burgundy since they should match basic navy or grey suits.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryTiestagged by SYSTEM, 8/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- Ragged (!) Trousered Philanthropists Last post on Yesterday at 10:50 pm in Classic Menswear
- NWT Drake's London Ties - Shantung, Grenadine, and a Cashmere Last post on 1/8/15 at 8:26pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- TOM FORD Ties - Silk, Knit, Woolens Last post on 1/13/15 at 7:05am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- RLPL - Purple Label Tie Clearout Last post on 12/4/14 at 6:16am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Drops & Adds! TIES - Drake's, Tom Ford, Isaia, Zegna, Cappelli, Cucinelli... Last post on 7/20/14 at 7:10pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread - Page 109
Styleforum Top Picks
From what I've read, though I haven't seen it in person to verify, the difference is minimal. Fina is ever so slightly tighter than Piccola, but unless you are looking at them side by side you can't tell.
Excellent. Never mind navy, midnight blue is what you want.
But the colors of two analogous hues vary across the two weaves, correct? E.g. brown vs. brown
I have a piccola and a fina swatch right in front of me. The difference in the appearance of the weave is basically nonexistent. Even with the two right next to each other, visually it's really almost a microscopic difference.
One distinction between the two (though still very similar) is the feel of the fabric. I'm no tailor, so I'll do my best to explain it as I can. I can feel the "undulations" of the weave a bit more on the fina when running my finger across it. The piccola feels just a touch more uniform/smooth. Again, this is a very slight difference.
Bottom line, they're basically the same.
Just ordered my 4th and 5th Hober ties...can't wait!
Just want to echo what others have said concerning David...he truly is a class act. I had a problem with one tie during shipment and David went far beyond my expectations in correcting the issue.
Some pics of my first three...
Burgundy Piccola 4-fold, Macclesfield #83 6-fold
Macclesfield #135 6-fold
Close-ups (Click to show)
Don't know why some pics are larger...same dimensions??
Color balance is a bit off...probably due to using both room lights and bounced flash as well as processing...having red-green color blindness doesn't help!
The color of all the ties are a bit darker and richer especially the blue which is a much deeper blue and more muted in real life.
Edited by Swiper - 3/9/13 at 6:41pm
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on my first SH tie. I'm going with http://www.samhober.com/plaid-silk-ties/plaid-silk-necktie-8.html since I have two weddings coming up. I also plan on ordering some swatches along with it to help me on my next purchase.
Does anybody have any suggestions on what pocket square I could order to go with this tie? I'd be wearing it with a navy suit and the only PS I own is the standard white linen. I know it's a more formal tie so white linen is probably best, but I'd like to start building up my collection and I want to know if anybody has any other opinion. Thank you all for your help.
I have that one as well, though your picture does the it way more justice than mine did. I think it's probably my favourite tie. Wonderful pattern and just the right size, big enough to be interesting while small enough to blend together for a harmonious whole
I sorta like the "dimple", looks nice as it's not too polished but a bit haphazard. Looks elegant without looking studied.
Agreed. That tie looks lovely. This thread is terrible for my budget.
- A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 37 seconds ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 1 minute ago
- › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The New Official Wolf vs. Goat Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 14 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More 15 minutes ago
- › The Contentedness thread 19 minutes ago
- › NIKE Thread 22 minutes ago
- › What's the correct term for a collarless shirt with a bit of a collar? 22 minutes ago
- › HOF: Labels, heels and nail patterns - Secrets to ID the maker 24 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...
- › Knit Blazers: What Even Are They?
- › Fok’s Pitti Pick: Wear Coat, Get Blogged
- › What it Means to be Made in Italy
- › How to Smell Fabulous in Florence (and Beyond)
- › The Current State of Americana
- › The Styleforum Brief: February 2015
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...