I ordered my first two ties from SH. I'm used to wearing cheaper ties, like $20-40 range. This will be my first "nice tie" pickup. I went with grenadine midnight blue and also a grenadine burgundy since they should match basic navy or grey suits.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryTiestagged by SYSTEM, 8/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- FRIDAY CHALLENGE 26TH FEBRUARY 2016 BROWN TIE CHALLENGE (BTC) Last post on 3/2/16 at 4:36am in Classic Menswear
- FRIDAY CHALLENGE 19th February 2016 The Green Tie Challenge! Last post on 2/23/16 at 10:32pm in Classic Menswear
- TEN TIES, FIVE JACKETS (10/5 THREAD): Fall-Winter Edition Last post on 7/17/16 at 4:31pm in Classic Menswear
- H.N. White - Handmade English Ties - Official Affiliate Thread Last post on 7/17/16 at 5:54am in Classic Menswear
- Consolidated Sales: Tom Ford, Stile Latino, Cesare Attolini, Roda, Dolcepunta, Tie Your Tie,... Last post on 12/19/15 at 10:47am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Why the Four-in-hand is always better than the windsor knot
Last edited: 3/24/16
- What tie would work best with a medium-blue suit for a wedding?Last edited: 2/23/16
- What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?Last edited: 2/9/16
- What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?Last edited: 2/4/16
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread - Page 109post #1621 of 65373/8/13 at 6:22pmpost #1622 of 65373/8/13 at 6:30pmpost #1623 of 65373/8/13 at 7:13pmQuote:
From what I've read, though I haven't seen it in person to verify, the difference is minimal. Fina is ever so slightly tighter than Piccola, but unless you are looking at them side by side you can't tell.post #1624 of 65373/8/13 at 7:48pmQuote:
Excellent. Never mind navy, midnight blue is what you want.Quote:
But the colors of two analogous hues vary across the two weaves, correct? E.g. brown vs. brownpost #1625 of 65373/9/13 at 2:41pmQuote:
I have a piccola and a fina swatch right in front of me. The difference in the appearance of the weave is basically nonexistent. Even with the two right next to each other, visually it's really almost a microscopic difference.
One distinction between the two (though still very similar) is the feel of the fabric. I'm no tailor, so I'll do my best to explain it as I can. I can feel the "undulations" of the weave a bit more on the fina when running my finger across it. The piccola feels just a touch more uniform/smooth. Again, this is a very slight difference.
Bottom line, they're basically the same.post #1626 of 65373/9/13 at 4:53pm
Just ordered my 4th and 5th Hober ties...can't wait!
Just want to echo what others have said concerning David...he truly is a class act. I had a problem with one tie during shipment and David went far beyond my expectations in correcting the issue.
Some pics of my first three...
Burgundy Piccola 4-fold, Macclesfield #83 6-fold
Macclesfield #135 6-fold
Don't know why some pics are larger...same dimensions??
Color balance is a bit off...probably due to using both room lights and bounced flash as well as processing...having red-green color blindness doesn't help!
The color of all the ties are a bit darker and richer especially the blue which is a much deeper blue and more muted in real life.
Edited by Swiper - 3/9/13 at 6:41pmpost #1627 of 65373/10/13 at 7:34ampost #1628 of 65373/11/13 at 7:06pmpost #1629 of 65373/13/13 at 7:43ampost #1630 of 65373/13/13 at 7:46ampost #1631 of 65373/13/13 at 7:55ampost #1632 of 65373/13/13 at 7:58am
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on my first SH tie. I'm going with http://www.samhober.com/plaid-silk-ties/plaid-silk-necktie-8.html since I have two weddings coming up. I also plan on ordering some swatches along with it to help me on my next purchase.
Does anybody have any suggestions on what pocket square I could order to go with this tie? I'd be wearing it with a navy suit and the only PS I own is the standard white linen. I know it's a more formal tie so white linen is probably best, but I'd like to start building up my collection and I want to know if anybody has any other opinion. Thank you all for your help.post #1633 of 65373/13/13 at 8:30ampost #1634 of 65373/13/13 at 4:52pmQuote:
I have that one as well, though your picture does the it way more justice than mine did. I think it's probably my favourite tie. Wonderful pattern and just the right size, big enough to be interesting while small enough to blend together for a harmonious whole
I sorta like the "dimple", looks nice as it's not too polished but a bit haphazard. Looks elegant without looking studied.post #1635 of 65373/14/13 at 10:00pmSwatch books for grenadine grossa solid, grenadine grossa striped and linen arrived today. Ended up ordering the powder blue linen (LT-4) and powder blue and brown stripes and midnight blue grenadine (GST-3). Had to put the grenadine grossa solid swatch books away before I did something stupid like order one of everything I didn't already have.Quote:
Agreed. That tie looks lovely. This thread is terrible for my budget.
- What tie would work best with a medium-blue suit for a wedding?
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 1 minute ago
- › Official Terrorist Bombing and Other Acts of Inhumanity Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 4 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 12 minutes ago
- › Migrants, Immigrants, Refugees, and Aliens in Euro-Zone 22 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 30 minutes ago
- › Anyone know what brand. 37 minutes ago
- › Pediwear Shoes - Official Thread 43 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 47 minutes ago
- › Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread 51 minutes ago
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding