Secret custom knit ties? I'm interested.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryTiestagged by SYSTEM, 8/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- Drops & Adds! TIES - Tom Ford, Isaia, Zegna, Cappelli, Cucinelli... Last post on 7/20/14 at 7:10pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Ties for sale, all are either BNWT or BNWOT-Many maker Last post on 6/28/14 at 9:19am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- A bunch of ties-NWOT, NWT from Drake's, Isaia and Panta Last post on 1/24/14 at 7:50pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NWOT RLPL and RLBL ties Last post on 8/21/13 at 9:28pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread - Page 94
Styleforum Top Picks
"+1. David, any chance of offering shantungs for this summer? You'd likely have a lot of takers..."
We used to offer Thai silks with a rough texture and lots of slubs but found that they were not in demand so we started weaving smoother Thai silk.
We could offer rough Thai and perhaps some Italian silk again and perhaps we should maybe in stripes...
I shall think about it.
David, I would prefer solid color shantung/tussah ties (the slubbier the better). I hope you'll start making those because I would buy at least brown and navy ones instantly.
Knit ties are surely a great classic but we are not setup to work with Italian knits at the moment which are made like long socks before finishing into ties.
But I will tell you a secret - we do have two women on our staff that can custom knit ties by hand but we need some time to make some examples and the price may be higher than normal knits.
David, you really do know how to give just enough bait to set that hook. I'm game for whatever you have in store.
I would definitely be interested in this.
Thank you I understand - we used to hand weave and hand dye lots of silk like that before it was fashionable...
I will look in our silk room and see what I can find and then think about weaving some more.
I know we still have some heavy solid rough silk but its probably not on our website.
I am actually thinking aloud - no firm plans today as I don't have the correct weight of silk yarn on hand. I only have light weaving silk.
As soon as I find the correct weight we can quickly start knitting samples, Mary one of our knitters is very confident that she can customize designs etc. just like our grandmothers knitted sweaters.
Thank you for the encouragement.
I'd love to see what you'd still have in terms of heavy rough silk.
On the knit ties: fairisle anyone?
Long time reader, first time poster. And what better place to start than by thanking David for his wonderful ties. I'm in the process of rolling over my proletarian tie collection into a much better one, and I started that process with a Hober grenadine grossa in coral with hand rolled edges and no tipping. David walked me through the sizing appropriate to my knot type and then delivered a beautiful tie within the lead time he mentions on his website, which I suppose was no small feat given the holiday ordering time.
I can't explain the technical particulars of the knot and will leave that to folks far more experienced than I, but I can say without hesitation it's the best tie I have worn; knots beautifully, very rich color, and the perfect length almost every time I knot it. The tie may only be exceeded by the exceptional customer service that David delivers, right down to a handwritten note thanking me for my admittedly meager purchase.
As I had already ordered three swatch sets, I promptly ordered two more ties after the first wear. To the extent I can find a camera that dignifies the tie, I will post pictures later this week, and will update once I receive the two new ones.
- A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread
- › Things that are pissing you off. 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 1 minute ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread 1 minute ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 2 minutes ago
- › Things your dumb friends post on facebook 2 minutes ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 3 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 3 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 4 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Men’s Jewellery Trends 2014/15
- › Watch and Jewellery Trends: Black on Black...
- › Trend Forecasting 2015: Men’s Accessories
- › Patek Philippe 175th Anniversary
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...