Secret custom knit ties? I'm interested.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryTiestagged by SYSTEM, 8/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- H.N. White - Handmade English Ties - Official Affiliate Thread Last post on Today at 3:16 am in Classic Menswear
- LAST CHANCE! Tom Ford, Stile Latino, Cesare Attolini, Roda, Dolcepunta, Tie Your Tie, Hanro,... Last post on 12/19/15 at 10:47am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Neckties: A Discussion Thread Last post on Today at 7:53 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- Massdrop x Styleforum x Panta Madder Tie GMTO (official collaboration) Last post on 1/31/16 at 4:24am in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
Last edited: 2/4/16
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread - Page 94
Styleforum Top Picks
"+1. David, any chance of offering shantungs for this summer? You'd likely have a lot of takers..."
We used to offer Thai silks with a rough texture and lots of slubs but found that they were not in demand so we started weaving smoother Thai silk.
We could offer rough Thai and perhaps some Italian silk again and perhaps we should maybe in stripes...
I shall think about it.
David, I would prefer solid color shantung/tussah ties (the slubbier the better). I hope you'll start making those because I would buy at least brown and navy ones instantly.
Knit ties are surely a great classic but we are not setup to work with Italian knits at the moment which are made like long socks before finishing into ties.
But I will tell you a secret - we do have two women on our staff that can custom knit ties by hand but we need some time to make some examples and the price may be higher than normal knits.
David, you really do know how to give just enough bait to set that hook. I'm game for whatever you have in store.
I would definitely be interested in this.
Thank you I understand - we used to hand weave and hand dye lots of silk like that before it was fashionable...
I will look in our silk room and see what I can find and then think about weaving some more.
I know we still have some heavy solid rough silk but its probably not on our website.
I am actually thinking aloud - no firm plans today as I don't have the correct weight of silk yarn on hand. I only have light weaving silk.
As soon as I find the correct weight we can quickly start knitting samples, Mary one of our knitters is very confident that she can customize designs etc. just like our grandmothers knitted sweaters.
Thank you for the encouragement.
I'd love to see what you'd still have in terms of heavy rough silk.
On the knit ties: fairisle anyone?
Long time reader, first time poster. And what better place to start than by thanking David for his wonderful ties. I'm in the process of rolling over my proletarian tie collection into a much better one, and I started that process with a Hober grenadine grossa in coral with hand rolled edges and no tipping. David walked me through the sizing appropriate to my knot type and then delivered a beautiful tie within the lead time he mentions on his website, which I suppose was no small feat given the holiday ordering time.
I can't explain the technical particulars of the knot and will leave that to folks far more experienced than I, but I can say without hesitation it's the best tie I have worn; knots beautifully, very rich color, and the perfect length almost every time I knot it. The tie may only be exceeded by the exceptional customer service that David delivers, right down to a handwritten note thanking me for my admittedly meager purchase.
As I had already ordered three swatch sets, I promptly ordered two more ties after the first wear. To the extent I can find a camera that dignifies the tie, I will post pictures later this week, and will update once I receive the two new ones.
- A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 48 seconds ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 1 minute ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 2 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 2 minutes ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 4 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 5 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 5 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 6 minutes ago
- › Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...