Secret custom knit ties? I'm interested.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryTiestagged by SYSTEM, 8/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- Gallery Contest - Classic menswear scorekeeper thread. Last post on 5/12/15 at 6:23am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF MAR 30, 2015 Last post on 4/12/15 at 4:06pm in Classic Menswear
- David Fin - Official Affiliate Thread Last post on 5/20/15 at 1:33pm in Classic Menswear
- Ragged (!) Trousered Philanthropists Last post on 5/23/15 at 1:32pm in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread - Page 94
Styleforum Top Picks
"+1. David, any chance of offering shantungs for this summer? You'd likely have a lot of takers..."
We used to offer Thai silks with a rough texture and lots of slubs but found that they were not in demand so we started weaving smoother Thai silk.
We could offer rough Thai and perhaps some Italian silk again and perhaps we should maybe in stripes...
I shall think about it.
David, I would prefer solid color shantung/tussah ties (the slubbier the better). I hope you'll start making those because I would buy at least brown and navy ones instantly.
Knit ties are surely a great classic but we are not setup to work with Italian knits at the moment which are made like long socks before finishing into ties.
But I will tell you a secret - we do have two women on our staff that can custom knit ties by hand but we need some time to make some examples and the price may be higher than normal knits.
David, you really do know how to give just enough bait to set that hook. I'm game for whatever you have in store.
I would definitely be interested in this.
Thank you I understand - we used to hand weave and hand dye lots of silk like that before it was fashionable...
I will look in our silk room and see what I can find and then think about weaving some more.
I know we still have some heavy solid rough silk but its probably not on our website.
I am actually thinking aloud - no firm plans today as I don't have the correct weight of silk yarn on hand. I only have light weaving silk.
As soon as I find the correct weight we can quickly start knitting samples, Mary one of our knitters is very confident that she can customize designs etc. just like our grandmothers knitted sweaters.
Thank you for the encouragement.
I'd love to see what you'd still have in terms of heavy rough silk.
On the knit ties: fairisle anyone?
Long time reader, first time poster. And what better place to start than by thanking David for his wonderful ties. I'm in the process of rolling over my proletarian tie collection into a much better one, and I started that process with a Hober grenadine grossa in coral with hand rolled edges and no tipping. David walked me through the sizing appropriate to my knot type and then delivered a beautiful tie within the lead time he mentions on his website, which I suppose was no small feat given the holiday ordering time.
I can't explain the technical particulars of the knot and will leave that to folks far more experienced than I, but I can say without hesitation it's the best tie I have worn; knots beautifully, very rich color, and the perfect length almost every time I knot it. The tie may only be exceeded by the exceptional customer service that David delivers, right down to a handwritten note thanking me for my admittedly meager purchase.
As I had already ordered three swatch sets, I promptly ordered two more ties after the first wear. To the extent I can find a camera that dignifies the tie, I will post pictures later this week, and will update once I receive the two new ones.
- A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread
- › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations 57 seconds ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 58 seconds ago
- › +91-9680462195 (Love Breakup) Love Problem- Solution In Barin 2 minutes ago
- › +91-9680462195 (Love Breakup) Love Problem- Solution In Oman 2 minutes ago
- › +91-9680462195 (Love Breakup) Love Problem- Solution In Iraq 2 minutes ago
- › +91-9680462195 (Love Breakup) Love Problem- Solution In Dubai 2 minutes ago
- › +91-9680462195 (Love Breakup) Love Problem- Solution In Canada 2 minutes ago
- › +91-9680462195 (Love Breakup) Love Problem- Solution In Jalandhar 3 minutes ago
- › +91-9680462195 (Love Breakup) Love Problem- Solution In Chandigarh 3 minutes ago
- › +91-9680462195 (Love Breakup) Love Problem- Solution In bahrain 3 minutes ago
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery...
- › Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I...
- › The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring...
- › 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Bourbon Season: Three Cocktails For Spring
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan