Secret custom knit ties? I'm interested.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryTiestagged by SYSTEM, 8/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- FRIDAY CHALLENGE 26TH FEBRUARY 2016 BROWN TIE CHALLENGE (BTC) Last post on 3/2/16 at 4:36am in Classic Menswear
- FRIDAY CHALLENGE 19th February 2016 The Green Tie Challenge! Last post on 2/23/16 at 10:32pm in Classic Menswear
- TEN TIES, FIVE JACKETS (10/5 THREAD): Fall-Winter Edition Last post on 9/29/16 at 9:34am in Classic Menswear
- H.N. White - Handmade English Ties - Official Affiliate Thread Last post on Today at 1:18 am in Classic Menswear
- Consolidated Sales: Tom Ford, Stile Latino, Cesare Attolini, Roda, Dolcepunta, Tie Your Tie,... Last post on 12/19/15 at 10:47am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Why the Four-in-hand is always better than the windsor knot
Last edited: 3/24/16
- What tie would work best with a medium-blue suit for a wedding?Last edited: 2/23/16
- What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?Last edited: 2/9/16
- What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?Last edited: 2/4/16
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread - Page 94post #1397 of 65951/7/13 at 7:25amQuote:Originally Posted by Sam Hober
"+1. David, any chance of offering shantungs for this summer? You'd likely have a lot of takers..."
We used to offer Thai silks with a rough texture and lots of slubs but found that they were not in demand so we started weaving smoother Thai silk.
We could offer rough Thai and perhaps some Italian silk again and perhaps we should maybe in stripes...
I shall think about it.
David, I would prefer solid color shantung/tussah ties (the slubbier the better). I hope you'll start making those because I would buy at least brown and navy ones instantly.post #1398 of 65951/7/13 at 7:33ampost #1399 of 65951/7/13 at 9:11ampost #1400 of 65951/7/13 at 3:58pmpost #1401 of 65951/7/13 at 9:05pmQuote:Originally Posted by Sam Hober
Knit ties are surely a great classic but we are not setup to work with Italian knits at the moment which are made like long socks before finishing into ties.
But I will tell you a secret - we do have two women on our staff that can custom knit ties by hand but we need some time to make some examples and the price may be higher than normal knits.
David, you really do know how to give just enough bait to set that hook. I'm game for whatever you have in store.post #1402 of 65951/9/13 at 8:08amQuote:
I would definitely be interested in this.post #1403 of 65951/9/13 at 8:10amQuote:Originally Posted by Sam Hober
Thank you I understand - we used to hand weave and hand dye lots of silk like that before it was fashionable...
I will look in our silk room and see what I can find and then think about weaving some more.
I know we still have some heavy solid rough silk but its probably not on our website.
I am actually thinking aloud - no firm plans today as I don't have the correct weight of silk yarn on hand. I only have light weaving silk.
As soon as I find the correct weight we can quickly start knitting samples, Mary one of our knitters is very confident that she can customize designs etc. just like our grandmothers knitted sweaters.
Thank you for the encouragement.
I'd love to see what you'd still have in terms of heavy rough silk.
On the knit ties: fairisle anyone?post #1404 of 65951/9/13 at 1:54pm
Long time reader, first time poster. And what better place to start than by thanking David for his wonderful ties. I'm in the process of rolling over my proletarian tie collection into a much better one, and I started that process with a Hober grenadine grossa in coral with hand rolled edges and no tipping. David walked me through the sizing appropriate to my knot type and then delivered a beautiful tie within the lead time he mentions on his website, which I suppose was no small feat given the holiday ordering time.
I can't explain the technical particulars of the knot and will leave that to folks far more experienced than I, but I can say without hesitation it's the best tie I have worn; knots beautifully, very rich color, and the perfect length almost every time I knot it. The tie may only be exceeded by the exceptional customer service that David delivers, right down to a handwritten note thanking me for my admittedly meager purchase.
As I had already ordered three swatch sets, I promptly ordered two more ties after the first wear. To the extent I can find a camera that dignifies the tie, I will post pictures later this week, and will update once I receive the two new ones.post #1405 of 65951/10/13 at 5:08ampost #1406 of 65951/15/13 at 11:25ampost #1407 of 65951/15/13 at 12:26pmpost #1408 of 65951/16/13 at 5:14pmpost #1409 of 65951/20/13 at 4:53pmpost #1410 of 65951/24/13 at 9:42am
- What tie would work best with a medium-blue suit for a wedding?
- › How to buy a properly fitting shirt..... / how to do the military tuck 5 seconds ago
- › Daily CE Musings of Piob 35 seconds ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 37 seconds ago
- › Personalized Leather Briefcase by RockDove - Official Affiliate Thread 39 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Any One for a Scotch? 1 minute ago
- › When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale? 1 minute ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 5 minutes ago
- › FS: Carlos Santos Tassel Loafers Size UK7/US8 9 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 9 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...