• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black suit to interviews?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have an old suit that I've been wearing to all my interviews so far, but it's very ill-fitting and not slim, and since I have a slim figure, it just looks drapey. So.. I went out to H&M and bought a black, slim-fit suit for $80 and I think it fits pretty well. I hear though, that black suits for interviews are generally a bit too formal and that you only wear black suits to funerals, yadda yadda, etc. They did have a gray suit as well, but none in my size, so I just bought the black one. I do have a picture of it on (I apologize for the blurry pic). I'm wearing a very light blue shirt and a maroon-red tie with stripes:
photo%202.JPG
Could I get some comments on the fit and the appropriateness of black suits for interviews? I'm 6'1", 150 lbs. The jacket is a 36R and the pants are a 32R. My shirt size is 15.5" and 34" Thanks! Edit: I still have the tags on so I can return it if necessary.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Like most of SF, I'm not a fan of black suits for much of anything, so I wouldn't advise it. That said, it's sort of irrelevant in this case, because that coat is way, way too short for you.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
black suit dont matter in the real world.

just wear what you got.

all my friends here wear ****** ill fitting black suits with black square toe rubber sole shoes and get awesome jobs.

only time you'll get a ding is if an styleforvm member is interviewing.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
Like most of SF, I'm not a fan of black suits for much of anything, so I wouldn't advise it. That said, it's sort of irrelevant in this case, because that coat is way, way too short for you.

Damn. I tried the 38R and it was a bit too loose. Where should the coat fall to?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
conservative suits should cover your ass

some ppl say your fingers should be able to curl under the jacket

i honestly dont think an average interviewer will be able to look at you and say your suit jacket is too short, no hire maybe (big maybe) unless you're applying to a banking or law firm

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
conservative suits should cover your ass

some ppl say your fingers should be able to curl under the jacket

i honestly dont think an average interviewer will be able to look at you and say your suit jacket is too short, no hire maybe (big maybe) unless you're applying to a banking or law firm

I am applying for consulting firms and such. I have a phone interview coming up for Fidelity's internal strategy consulting group, and if I pass those then I get to go to an on-site interview. Not sure if Fidelity is conservative in that regard.

Even though the jacket is really short (according to standards), I really like the way it fits, especially at its price point.

DaveB

Reaction score
If your actually 6'1 I'm pretty sure you need a L and not a R.

Anyways as long as you don't look like complete **** and stick to a pretty conservative color you should be fine. I do not think anyone is going to say they are not going to hire you because you wore a black suit, which in my experience is the most popular color choice for college grads for interviews.

Duff_Man

Reaction score
I actually think it's alright as is, except a little small. Momma always told me not to look like crap, but to look hungry for work. The suit should fit you, but out of a grad program or entry level, don't look like you have it made. Look like you are a starving student who is focused on the work rather than the toys and who doesn't have the vanity/playboy attitude most SFers have.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess it's a bit short in length.. the jacket reaches the midpoint of my butt. Unfortunately they had no Ls in the store and only had Rs; and, the smallest L is 38L. They don't have 36Ls. I guess I could tailor the 38L.

Thanks for the input guys. Is there anything else besides the jacket length?

boo

Reaction score
The problem is that the jacket is definitely too short, which you seem to already realize, and will have people making wisecracks about it behind your back. Personally, I find the pants too slim for an interview situation (though maybe I'll feel differently with a clearer pic). An interviewer might not be able to pinpoint the short jacket, slim pants, narrow lapels, and H&M fabric, but they'll know something is "off" about you. The HR person might not know the difference, but I bet the hiring manager at an organization like Fidelity will. Also, why the $80 budget for a suit? I'm not telling you to fly to Saville Row, but I have to think your future career has to be worth more than $80 to you. Personally, I'd gladly spend $1,000 on a never-to-be-worn-again custom cow suit with lactating udders if I thought it would give me some sort of edge on interviews.

Of course, all IMHO.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo
The problem is that the jacket is definitely too short, which you seem to already realize, and will have people making wisecracks about it behind your back. Personally, I find the pants too slim for an interview situation (though maybe I'll feel differently with a clearer pic). An interviewer might not be able to pinpoint the short jacket, slim pants, narrow lapels, and H&M fabric, but they'll know something is "off" about you. The HR person might not know the difference, but I bet the hiring manager at an organization like Fidelity will. Also, why the $80 budget for a suit? I'm not telling you to fly to Saville Row, but I have to think your future career has to be worth more than $80 to you. Personally, I'd gladly spend $1,000 on a never-to-be-worn-again custom cow suit with lactating udders if I thought it would give me some sort of edge on interviews.

Of course, all IMHO.

Well, when I see it, I don't think it's short. I don't know the conventions to how a suit is supposed to fit. I'm just saying it's short because, well, everyone else is.

Maybe I'll check out Zara tomorrow.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wow, yeah. after looking at WAYWT posts in the mc section, my jacket is terribly short.

Wolfador

Reaction score
Jacket length is too short and the sleeves are too short, it is just covered up by the fact that your shirt sleeves are too short also.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
I guess it's a bit short in length.. the jacket reaches the midpoint of my butt. Unfortunately they had no Ls in the store and only had Rs; and, the smallest L is 38L. They don't have 36Ls. I guess I could tailor the 38L.

Thanks for the input guys. Is there anything else besides the jacket length?

I don't think I have ever seen a RTW 36L suit... Are you a true 36 or more like a 37? Because the alterations from a 38 to a 36 are pretty drastic. I should know, I've had it done when I was a 36, I'm sop happy I'm now a 38.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads