or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Black suit to interviews?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Black suit to interviews? - Page 4

post #46 of 60
Thread Starter 
I'll take a fit pic as I have an interview coming up on Tuesday. I love the way it fits because I'm a slim guy and like slim fits.. but I'm actually worried that it might be bordering on being ostentatiously slim. I'm essentially wearing the same outfit as the one in the original post, except the suit is from Zara and not H&M. Tie will be the same. Shirt is actually a new one and a bit bluer.
post #47 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post
So I got the suit from Zara and got it tailored to be more slim-fitting in the waist area. It definitely wouldn't be considered a conservative cut, and my parents and older sister are worried that it wouldn't look professional for interviews.

Here's a pic of the lapels; my sister says they're too narrow:


Your sister knows more about suiting than you do
post #48 of 60
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Romo View Post
Your sister knows more about suiting than you do
Should I stick to my more conservative suit (i.e. boxy and charcoal gray)? And nowhere did I profess any knowledge over suiting -- hence the thread.
post #49 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post
Should I stick to my more conservative suit (i.e. boxy and charcoal gray)?

And nowhere did I profess any knowledge over suiting -- hence the thread.

what's the job you're applying for? put on your new suit and take a pic of it.. the one in the original post is definitely too short.

in any case you're a good looking guy so i wouldn't worry too much about the suit.

seed
post #50 of 60
If you were death-camp thin, these lapels would be OK. Why did you buy this? I want to know, what was your rational?
post #51 of 60
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldseed View Post
what's the job you're applying for? put on your new suit and take a pic of it.. the one in the original post is definitely too short. in any case you're a good looking guy so i wouldn't worry too much about the suit. seed
It's an internal strategy/consulting group, so I'm sure it errs more on the conservative side than, say, a hip, advertising agency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orsini View Post
If you were death-camp thin, these lapels would be OK. Why did you buy this? I want to know, what was your rational?
I don't know shit when it comes to suits. No one mentioned the lapels being an issue for the H&M suit. It was just too short. Zara was a substitute and it fit well on my frame and I think it's more flattering than my conservative, boxy suit. That being said, I had it taken to a tailor in Boston who's very old-school and he said it was fine -- a very modern cut, but fine. I will take fit pics of the Zara suit and my other suit and decide which one to wear based on input!
post #52 of 60
Thread Starter 
here is my zara, tailored suit: please ignore the absent shoe; my foot is inflamed so i cant wear shoes.
post #53 of 60
Thread Starter 
and here is my conservative, boxier cut: differences compared to zara: - dark, charcoal gray - boxy, loose fit - wider lapels
post #54 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post
and here is my conservative, boxier cut:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


differences compared to zara:
- dark, charcoal gray
- boxy, loose fit
- wider lapels

I see nothing wrong with this for interviews. I honestly don't think I'd over-think this part of your interview. Wear something you're comfortable in. The Zara screams 'we be in da club' though.
post #55 of 60
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post
I see nothing wrong with this for interviews. I honestly don't think I'd over-think this part of your interview. Wear something you're comfortable in. The Zara screams 'we be in da club' though.

Yeah. I'm going to play it safe and wear my conservative suit for my big interview.

I actually just came back from a final round interview today for a different position and I wore the Zara suit. I hope I get an offer!

Thanks for the input sir.
post #56 of 60
There is no such thing as a black suit. Never mind the fact that they are actually made.

Real advice: Wear the more conservative suit.
post #57 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post
It's an internal strategy/consulting group, so I'm sure it errs more on the conservative side than, say, a hip, advertising agency. I don't know shit when it comes to suits. No one mentioned the lapels being an issue for the H&M suit. It was just too short. Zara was a substitute and it fit well on my frame and I think it's more flattering than my conservative, boxy suit. That being said, I had it taken to a tailor in Boston who's very old-school and he said it was fine -- a very modern cut, but fine. I will take fit pics of the Zara suit and my other suit and decide which one to wear based on input!
Sorry I landed on you so bad. I'd had a bad day. About 40% of the distance from the V to the shoulder seam is "regular width." Anything less or more is, to a greater or lesser degree, "narrow" or "wide." The tie wants to be about the same width as the lapel. All this is by eye and will vary depending on how thin or burly you are. Here's a good article about the interview suit. http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/W...terviewing.htm You young guys might be better off thinking of the interview rig as a disguise. That way it might not gripe your livers so bad to have to spend money to look like a square. Once again, sorry. As for the rest of you geeks, drop and gimme twenty!
post #58 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post
here is my zara, tailored suit:

To my eye, the Zara suit looks way better than the H&M one. I'm not quite as "suit saavy" as some of the guys giving you lip on here, but it is a lot better looking fit-wise. Congrats. I think that's a good buy for only $150.

Don't quite understand the guys that appear in threads to simply commentate on the lack of experience of the OP. Geez. I wonder if all your posts came from telling people how dumb their questions are...

Occurred to me: Why not just have your "boxy conservative charcoal" suit taken in in the first place? To me, while the jacket is kind of shapeless, I think it's generally a good fit. Pants too on that one look decent to begin with.

New frog in the avatar. Nice.

Edit: Appreciate the article in the post above, Orsini.
post #59 of 60
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orsini View Post
Sorry I landed on you so bad. I'd had a bad day.

About 40% of the distance from the V to the shoulder seam is "regular width." Anything less or more is, to a greater or lesser degree, "narrow" or "wide." The tie wants to be about the same width as the lapel. All this is by eye and will vary depending on how thin or burly you are.

Here's a good article about the interview suit.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/W...terviewing.htm

You young guys might be better off thinking of the interview rig as a disguise. That way it might not gripe your livers so bad to have to spend money to look like a square.

Once again, sorry.

As for the rest of you geeks, drop and gimme twenty!

No worries sir. Thank you for that link -- it was very informative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post
To my eye, the Zara suit looks way better than the H&M one. I'm not quite as "suit saavy" as some of the guys giving you lip on here, but it is a lot better looking fit-wise. Congrats. I think that's a good buy for only $150.

Don't quite understand the guys that appear in threads to simply commentate on the lack of experience of the OP. Geez. I wonder if all your posts came from telling people how dumb their questions are...

Occurred to me: Why not just have your "boxy conservative charcoal" suit taken in in the first place? To me, while the jacket is kind of shapeless, I think it's generally a good fit. Pants too on that one look decent to begin with.

New frog in the avatar. Nice.

Edit: Appreciate the article in the post above, Orsini.

Thanks Argentino. I guess I could have gotten my boxy suit taken in and whatnot, but I've heard that it's very difficult to size down a suit with alterations. I really don't like the sleeves on the jacket because it's very wide and flappy, whereas the sleeves on my Zara suit are slim and fit better.

I'm still glad I have two suits, though.

And yup, I very much so like my new avatar
post #60 of 60
i've been to two job interviews at law firms in crappy h&m suits and i got offered the job. the most important things for the suit are: 1) looks neat, tidy and doesn't draw too much attention to itself. 2) you feel comfortable and confident in it! if you don't feel comfortable in the boxy then wear the zara. the last thing you want to be thinking about in your interview how you feel like sh1t in your suit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Black suit to interviews?