• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving to SF, can you recommend a neighborhood

mcdecker1

Reaction score
Hi,
I hope this is the right place for this post...
I'm moing to San Francisco in July to attend SFSU this fall (grad school).
If anyone can help out with advice on good neighborhoods to live in, I would really appreciate it. I'm getting rid of my car and will be by bike/public transportation so I need to be close enough to campus. My budget is up to $800/month - if you guys know of any housing that's available or can recommend a neighbordhood to focus my search on....

Thanks in advance! Feel free to PM me as well

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i hope you dont plan on having a circumcision

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcdecker1
That post can't be viewed by users with less than 100 posts

ahhh i see, its about an upcoming vote to ban circs in san fran. sorry about that.

volatility smile

Reaction score
Seriously, though, you can either live somewhere around SFSU (Parkmerced/Lake Merced) or anywhere along the Muni M metro line which across the street from SFSU. I think a lot of students at SFSU actually live elsewhere in the city and take Muni to get to school, which you might be better off doing (if you can afford it) because the neighborhood around SFSU is kind of boring, imo.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
the sunset is easy you can take the 19 or 29 and get there in like 10 mins. some mornings the busses are packed though.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're probably not going to find an $800 a month place in SF unless you become someone's roommate. It's a really expensive city.

Archivist

Reaction score
Living out in the Richmond around SFSU will be stunningly boring. Live Downtown (Tenderloin, Lower Nob Hill) and take the M out to classes. Of course, to live in these neighborhoods, you will have to be comfortable with the lowest forms of human degradation, but that's more or less what SF is for. To make up for it, there is really good Thai and Vietnamese in the 'hood.

Avoid the Mission, it's like a suburb of some undergrad liberal arts program in the Midwest, but duller.

$800 is a real stretch, you will have to have roommates.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, 800 a month is not enough to live on your own unless you live in a really terrible area.

Find some roommates if you can. Around the school is boring and there aint really **** to do. The sunset is a little better and it is the next closest, but it is still pretty residential. If you don't mind a little commute really the whole city is available. Just choose based on what kind of life you life and where you can afford. Maybe the Mission, maybe North Beach. Also, look at the East Bay. There is a BART stop right by the school and a free shuttle to campus. A lot of people commute in from Oakland/Berkeley. It takes about an hour. Oakland is cheaper and cooler in a lot of ways than SF. Better weather too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads