• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ITT: We recommend... if you like brand X, you might try brand Y.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty self-explanatory, I think.

I'll go first:

If you like Wings+Horns, you should try:
European Culture - great for basics - a real emphasis on jerseys and dyeing techniques. I've been told that they do a great deal of textiles research. Um, fits are slim, slimmer than Wings+Horns, so plan accordingly.
Master Coat - slightly more aggressive than usual outerwear, things like fleece cardigans and jackets in slightly slim fits.
and Barena (cardigan style and other unstructured jackets)

If you want a "basics wardrobe", you should try the newly revitalized SBU (Strategic business concepts.) The Tres Bien Shop buy has essentially that.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you like Carpe Diem boots and leather shirts, you should try Jun Hashimoto (0)

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like Visvim and P.A.M you should try 'White Mountaineering'

Kagemusha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
If you like Carpe Diem boots and leather shirts, you should try Jun Hashimoto (0)

If you like Carpe Diem you should try Guidi as a cheaper alternative and CLOSE to as good of quality.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In general, you'd think that with the direction a lot of you skinnier guys are going (semi-goth ninja) that there would be a groundswell for Nuur, which uses fabrics that are better than Rick Owens, Damir Doma, wjk, etc...

Jacob_G

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
In general, you'd think that with the direction a lot of you skinnier guys are going (semi-goth ninja) that there would be a groundswell for Nuur, which uses fabrics that are better than Rick Owens, Damir Doma, wjk, etc...

where to kop?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jacob_G
where to kop?

Italy. There are a few shops in Milan. But... um, either Yoox for off season or www.antonioli.com for in season stuff. The fabrics are really terrific. Fits are extremely slim though. A size 50Eu fits more like a 38US.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would also think that since people on the forum are pretty big proponents of what might be called the "Opening Ceremony" look (Patrick Ervell, Stephan Schneider, Opening Ceremony, Barbour Tokito, Sabatino, Nigel Cabourn, etc...) that people might be more into Mauro Grifoni, a reasonably sized brand in Italy with essentially no representation in the US.

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I would also think that since people on the forum are pretty big proponents of what might be called the "Opening Ceremony" look (Patrick Ervell, Stephan Schneider, Opening Ceremony, Barbour Tokito, Sabatino, Nigel Cabourn, etc...) that people might be more into Mauro Grifoni, a reasonably sized brand in Italy with essentially no representation in the US.

Gonna crosspost from RFT and add Mads Nørgaard to this list for an even more budget option.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just snagged a Nuur jacket from the internets. If it works out I'll slather the brand with e-hype

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that you will like it.

If you like Isaora, you may like Herno, which does a lot of more fashion oriented shapes in performance (or, performance like) materials. I think that Neil Barrett also recently did a collaboration with Herno.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bam!ChairDance
Just snagged a Nuur jacket from the internets. If it works out I'll slather the brand with e-hype

It's not bad at all. I have a steel/cotton jacket I'm wearing right now, very slouchy deconstructed look to it. Great with painted gats and black coated denim now...

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
If you like Jil Sander knits, you might try Annapurna, or 5+1 Annapurna.

Good rec although the stuff I've seen wasn't very Jil-esque.

I'd recommend that Raf Simons fans check out Ute Ploier.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics