or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Got a job offer, need some advice.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Got a job offer, need some advice.

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
I got an offer from a company called Benzinga. (www.benzinga.com)
They are a stock market news outlet that basicalyy reports news on the market to investors. The job is a "Stock Market Analyst" which basically in their terms is monitoring, reporting, and publishing articles on the Stock Market. A great deal of experience can be acquired through this.

The odd part is when I applied the posting said salary range of $30,000 to $75,000. When asked about compensation I said between 50,000-55,000 (52,500 is the median of 30k-75k and that range seemed suitable and somewhat conservative.)
He then emailed me saying he was "hesitant" of that "ball park range" that I gave him. (which really was not ballpark range.
The next time we talked I asked him to give me an idea of what kind of salary I can expect, and he said over the phone 25,000-30,000. I told him to let me think about it and discuss it over with a few people to see if this is the right path for me.

It is a legitimate company, pretty active and from what they say moving at 1000% growth rate for the year.

Any thoughts?
post #2 of 22
Looks like a fancy blog that relies heavily on ads on their site. You can make more elsewhere. If you have nothing else in the pipeline, take it and then dump it when something better comes along. There's not much here, you can probably work at home doing this or hell, even when you get a another job.
post #3 of 22
I see their reports all of the time... and immediately round-file them edit: that is not to say that the company/job itself is not legit, just that they output a lot of crap with an almost zero signal-to-noise ratio (just like reports from zachs/valueengine/whatever)
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xericx View Post
Looks like a fancy blog that relies heavily on ads on their site. You can make more elsewhere. If you have nothing else in the pipeline, take it and then dump it when something better comes along. There's not much here, you can probably work at home doing this or hell, even when you get a another job.

do that^^
post #5 of 22
I am a say what you mean mean what you say type of person. When I started out looking for work as well as through the other end of the hiring process the salary always remained the same. If I let the prospective job or applicant continuously change the figure I knew what to expect throughout the tenure of the position with the company. Just my 2cents.
post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlisle Blues View Post
I am a say what you mean mean what you say type of person. When I started out looking for work as well as through the other end of the hiring process the salary always remained the same. If I let the prospective job or applicant continuously change the figure I knew what to expect throughout the tenure of the position with the company.




Just my 2cents.

Yeah it seemed very odd to me, and even off-putting, and though salary is not my total concern and experience is my priority, I can make much more than $25,000 doing a lot of other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xericx View Post
Looks like a fancy blog that relies heavily on ads on their site. You can make more elsewhere. If you have nothing else in the pipeline, take it and then dump it when something better comes along. There's not much here, you can probably work at home doing this or hell, even when you get a another job.

Yes this is the thought that came to my mind while discussing with my father. I feel if anything I can at least be busy with something career related and if it turns out good I can stay, if it does not I would have been looking for a job while I am there anyway and hopefully gotten some leads.
post #7 of 22
I believe this is the guy who started the organization that you wish to work for He "can be wacky, fun, serious and can always make someone laugh..." but, can he give you a well paying secure position? About Benzinga: "Benzinga prides itself on providing original, accurate and timely global financial content every day. The service features content from industry experts and experienced analysts while also covering the news of the day. We have three offices in total. One in Delaware, Michigan, and in Chicago, IL." Translated they are incorporated in Delaware and have an agent designated to accept service there should the need arise. The two guys who started it live in Illinois and Michigan. His proposal to Stacy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hMnZ2mNy_A http://profiles.friendster.com/1321498#moreabout Like I say just a guess, but, the whole thing smells of lack of adequate capital. They want you to work your rear off to make them respectable and in the end you may be wasting your time...
post #8 of 22
Don't.
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturdays View Post
Yeah it seemed very odd to me, and even off-putting, and though salary is not my total concern and experience is my priority, I can make much more than $25,000 doing a lot of other things.



Yes this is the thought that came to my mind while discussing with my father. I feel if anything I can at least be busy with something career related and if it turns out good I can stay, if it does not I would have been looking for a job while I am there anyway and hopefully gotten some leads.

I was unemployed for two months after i graduated. After the initial relaxing period wears off, a purposeless life become boring quickly. It even started to take a toll on my mental health because I was feeling so restless. I would suggest you take this opportunity for the sake of keeping you sane. The worst thing that can happen is that you dont get to watch Maury at 2pm everyday
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post
... After the initial relaxing period wears off, a purposeless life become boring quickly. It even started to take a toll on my mental health because I was feeling so restless.

+1

Been there. What you said sums it up incredibly well (just replace Maury with Judge Judy)

OP: This job sounds like the perfect opportunity to give you something to do while you look for another job. Don't plan on staying with them too long (just long enough until something else comes by).
post #11 of 22
Anyone who pulls a bait and switch like that is sleazy and the corporation they run will likely be about making a fast buck rather than a good product. If you need the money, take it and use the time spent there looking for another job. If not, don't taint yourself by association (given the responses in this thread, it seems like the company is generally disdained).
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Anyone who pulls a bait and switch like that is sleazy and the corporation they run will likely be about making a fast buck rather than a good product.

If you need the money, take it and use the time spent there looking for another job. If not, don't taint yourself by association (given the responses in this thread, it seems like the company is generally disdained).
+1. Proceed with caution.
post #13 of 22
What kind of qualifications do you have? 30-75K is a pretty substantial range. Do you have specific experience, or did you choose 52K simply by picking the mean?
post #14 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlisle Blues View Post
I believe this is the guy who started the organization that you wish to work for He "can be wacky, fun, serious and can always make someone laugh..." but, can he give you a well paying secure position? About Benzinga: "Benzinga prides itself on providing original, accurate and timely global financial content every day. The service features content from industry experts and experienced analysts while also covering the news of the day. We have three offices in total. One in Delaware, Michigan, and in Chicago, IL." Translated they are incorporated in Delaware and have an agent designated to accept service there should the need arise. The two guys who started it live in Illinois and Michigan. His proposal to Stacy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hMnZ2mNy_A http://profiles.friendster.com/1321498#moreabout Like I say just a guess, but, the whole thing smells of lack of adequate capital. They want you to work your rear off to make them respectable and in the end you may be wasting your time...
This. This is why I will forever cherish Style Forum. I never thought about looking up this guy. I don't doubt the fact that this guy knows how to make money and is pretty active. But its hard to say that I trust any company that bait and switches on me. They actually asked me to "try it out" for a week before accepting the offer. Which I'm pretty sure is not common practice even for a startup. I think I have a lot to think about in regards to this, I have a few options I can consider that I think I would try out rather than take this route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmin209 View Post
What kind of qualifications do you have? 30-75K is a pretty substantial range. Do you have specific experience, or did you choose 52K simply by picking the mean?
I have a Bachelor's in Finance from Michigan State University. Past alumni have usually been given offers that ranged from $40k-60k. My proposed range of $50-$55k didn't seem too far off the map to me for Benzinga seeing as how they had a substantial range.
post #15 of 22
Sounds like a scam.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Got a job offer, need some advice.