• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tree-of-Life-Movie-Poster-260x360.jpg

For years, Terrence Malick's "The Tree of Life" has hovered over the film world like a ghost, staying just out of reach. An intriguing, mysterious project starring Brad Pitt and Sean Penn, there were hints over the years that the movie tackled themes of faith, family and the reason for existence. And oh yes, there seemed to be a dinosaur involved too.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
lefty

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive heard there is a 15 minute interlude of Hubble-style shots of the cosmos. Not sure I will be able to refrain from laughter in the theater, but I plan on seeing it anyway.

Lighthouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Me too. These types of films must be seen with an open mind. Malick is an interesting cat.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Malick is the John Cazale of directing. It's a must see.

lefty

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I freaking loved The New World. I'm a very big fan. Hubble style shots of the cosmos in a Malick film sound like a feature, not a bug.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite movie ever is 2001, so I'll most likely try to catch this in theatres. I admire artists who have the confidence to paint in the broadest strokes possible.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard this was a love it or hate it flick, with a stronger "hate it" then "love it" faction. Malick's eye is without equal in American cinema but his artistic excesses have largely wasted his talent. "Days of Heaven" remains one of the greatest American films of the past 50 years though, so I'll forgive him almost anything.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is one beautiful trailer.

lefty

Humperdink

Reaction score
I already have a proactive painful erection for the resplendent indulgent awesomeness of this film.

I'm going to stoke it to Badlands in anticipation.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope there are dinosaurs. Will see no either way. Nice to see him upping his pace a little.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Terrence Malick? Meh. I’ve seen enough of his films (all of them) to say they’re visually quite pretty… and pretty boring. A contemplative Sean Penn + the overexposed Brad Pitt… yeah, it didn’t take me long to pass on the 'opportunity' to see it at the Sydney Film Festival (I’m once again seeing about a dozen films).

Originally Posted by lefty
That is one beautiful trailer.

lefty

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

That's a trailer.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Apparently it got booed at Cannes (or whatever festival just passed).

Yeah, well going back to my previous comparison, 2001 got walkouts during its premiere and recieved scathing reviews (most famously from Pauline Kael.) In spite of that, it went on to become a popular success and one of the acknowledged all-time-greats.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011...tree_of_l.html
http://blogs.suntimes.com/scharres/2...al_kitsch.html

Kitsch!?! Well, yeah, 2001 had that in abundance as well.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Apparently it got booed at Cannes (or whatever festival just passed).

I don't think that means much. It's sort of become a tradition for films to be booed at Cannes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads