• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these shell cordovan?

gsgleason

Reaction score
Recent ebay purchase.

Are these Shell Cordovan?

AE MacNeil

According to the AE website, MacNeil is only available in burgundy via shell cordovan.

$%28KGrHqEOKiME3!VnwShvBNyg4rgfJg~~0_12.JPG

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gsgleason
Recent ebay purchase.

Are these Shell Cordovan?

AE MacNeil

According to the AE website, MacNeil is only available in burgundy via shell cordovan.

$%28KGrHqEOKiME3!VnwShvBNyg4rgfJg~~0_12.JPG

calf due to creasing

gsgleason

Reaction score
Well, I paid $91 shipped. Have to wait to get them.

How can I verify once I have them? I've never owned shell before.

Chris Waffles

Reaction score
Once you receive them and can look at them up close you can check if they are shell by looking at the vamp to see if there are any creases--shell creates ripples when flexed repeatedly, so if there are any creases then it is calf. Also if you still can't tell, try reading off the numbers written inside the shoe to an AE representative and they might be able to help you identify the shoe.

Good luck!

piergiacomi

Reaction score
Some tricks we are used to identify the shell:
1) The leather is very oily
2) The color is not flat but has many shades, such as velvet
3) Incising the surface with a nail in depth going over a credit card should immediately return as before
4) Is the price of shoes is cheaper

When we using shell cordovan to realize the shoes, we insert in the package a little fragment of leather with brand of producer.

I hope I explained myself, I'm sorry for my English, but tonight beginning a course.
laugh.gif

Emanuel

gsgleason

Reaction score
Well, I got them, and not only are they not what I had hoped, but they're that plasticy corrected grain BS. Rage! They won't absorb conditioner, they won't develop a patina. I don't even want to wear them.

IMAG0001.jpg

ffffuuuu.gif

There is also a gash in the "leather" that wasn't disclosed in the auction, and the seller agreed to a $20 refund if I want to keep them.

Would you wear these? I really don't like the look of the corrected grain.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I got them, and not only are they not what I had hoped, but they're that plasticy corrected grain BS. Rage! They won't absorb conditioner, they won't develop a patina. I don't even want to wear them.

IMAG0001.jpg

ffffuuuu.gif

There is also a gash in the "leather" that wasn't disclosed in the auction, and the seller agreed to a $20 refund if I want to keep them.

Would you wear these? I really don't like the look of the corrected grain.

Full refund with the gash via paypal if necessary. Buyer always wins these disputes.

spence

Reaction score
Are they marked shell on the soles?

I dont think those are corrected grain.

gsgleason

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spence
Are they marked shell on the soles?

I dont think those are corrected grain.

Certinly not shell. There are very fine spiderweb-type wrinkles in the creases, and though the sole is too worn to tell, the heel is different than the shell MacNeils.

Originally Posted by Grigory
Since when does AE make shoes of corrected grain? Looks like usual calf to me.

From my searching here and elsewhere, AE calls its corrected grain 'Polished Leather."

It's too smooth, shiny, and uniform to be calf, I think.

If I go refund, I'm still down shipping both ways ($20), so I guess the question is if I want to keep these for the partial refunded value of $70 shipped, or be down $20 and rid myself of them.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks like shell to me. Best way to find out is contact AE and tell them the code on the inside of the shoes. AE doesn't use CG leather. Well, they do now, but it's only for a few select models and are cheaper.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I go refund, I'm still down shipping both ways ($20), so I guess the question is if I want to keep these for the partial refunded value of $70 shipped, or be down $20 and rid myself of them.

I think in an eBay dispute (if you win ) he refunds you original shipping. But return shipping is on you

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads