or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Help me round out my tie wardrobe.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help me round out my tie wardrobe. - Page 5

post #61 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Ok, keep the brown pindot, it looks like an 80's dior geometric in the photo but its actually quite nice.
Most of your stuff is nice, dont think I am being too critical...
Confirmed. Dont like...

here's a better pic of the fabric on the brown pindot (it's maybe my favorite tie):

233

and in action:

467

on the stripes, fair enough. to be honest i haven't worn them that much yet but I just received the brown tweed suit i plan on wearing the burgundy one with...will probably have to wait a few months to actually do it though.

Thanks for the comments though, I do appreciate them. Any ties that I don't have that you might suggest adding?
post #62 of 72
A solid burgundy and you've got the non-knits nicely covered, unbel, assuming what I see there includes a solid navy and a black and white formal tie. I'd ditch the middle two in the penultimate pic and the teal-gold-white stripe in the third from last. I'd consider a brown or a burgundy knit.

Any challis or Irish poplins?

Nice collection.

P. S. I think I agree with idfnl on those two Chaps stripes.
post #63 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

on the stripes, fair enough. to be honest i haven't worn them that much yet but I just received the brown tweed suit i plan on wearing the burgundy one with...will probably have to wait a few months to actually do it though.
Thanks for the comments though, I do appreciate them. Any ties that I don't have that you might suggest adding?

Off the top of my head, a solid red? I rhymed. I didnt mean to but did. Grenadine or even knit? Those shiny red ones look like shit. Oh dear, I may not be able to stop now.
post #64 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testudo_Aubreii View Post

A solid burgundy and you've got the non-knits nicely covered, unbel, assuming what I see there includes a solid navy and a black and white formal tie. I'd ditch the middle two in the penultimate pic and the teal-gold-white stripe in the third from last. I'd consider a brown or a burgundy knit.
Any challis or Irish poplins?
Nice collection.

Thanks, Testudo - for some reason I'm just not really into burgundy ties - I have the one burgundy striped and that's about it. I have a kind of brown/white mix knit, so between that and the chocolate grenadine I think I'm ok there, but of course I'm likely to see a brown knit at some point in the not too distant future that will seem like a necessity. And yes, I do have a couple of different navys - a grenadine and a crepe wool - and the shepard check black and white.

One the middle two that you refer to, the striped one is a little better than it looks in the pic as the light stripe is kind of a peach rather than white. But it's not my favorite tie and I don't wear it too often. The green/blue floral one you kinda either love or hate. I love it as it really plays with light well in person and I think makes a nice evening tie. The colors on the one you call teal are kinda off in that pic - it's really just a green and white.

Great suggestion on the challis and poplins though - I have a couple of swatch sets of those from Hober, I should look at them more carefully.
post #65 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Oh dear, I may not be able to stop now.

But perhaps you should take a bow?

Yea as evidenced by my selections, I just personally don't like red that much in ties. But perhaps a deeper red such as burgundy as T_A suggested. I think it goes well with medium brownish tweedy jackets.
post #66 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

But perhaps you should take a bow?
Yea as evidenced by my selections, I just personally don't like red that much in ties. But perhaps a deeper red such as burgundy as T_A suggested. I think it goes well with medium brownish tweedy jackets.

Na, true red, you need one. The hesitation is in your head.

You also may want a dark pink. Maybe polkadot I think.

ffffuuuu.gif stop me
post #67 of 72
^^. Among Hober ties, after grenadines, linen are my favorite. You might want to check out those swatches.

btw, do I see lots of Panta, Vanda, Drakes, and Hober in your collection? Nice work!
post #68 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullswin View Post

^^. Among Hober ties, after grenadines, linen are my favorite. You might want to check out those swatches.
btw, do I see lots of Panta, Vanda, Drakes, and Hober in your collection? Nice work!

You do indeed! Thank you, but the thanks really go to the fine folks at the named companies.

I have the linen swatches too - somehow the first time I looked they seemed to have a little too much sheen for my taste. Do they seem that way when done up or am I just projecting too much from the swatch?
post #69 of 72
^ Yeah, the linen gives a tiny bit of sheen, but I don't find it that noticeable. I recently got the midnight blue linen and it definitely ranks among my favorites. I'm very biased toward solid color ties with a little texture... I suppose that's why grenadines and linens are up my alley.
post #70 of 72
^^ The earlier post suggesting poplin was spot on. A regimental would be a perfect addition to your collection.
post #71 of 72

Slightly offtopic but didn't want to start a new thread -- I remember reading a fantastic post on tie/suit/shirt color coordination on here but search is yielding nothing. Would be grateful if someone could point me in the direction of that definitive guide.

 

Some more details to hopefully add some more clarity: I'm not referring to the "on pattern coordination between jackets/shirts/ties" post. If memory serves it was more which ties work well with charcoal versus navy suits and clarifying some common misconceptions within that framework

post #72 of 72
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Help me round out my tie wardrobe.