Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes - Page 49

post #721 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post
There are real Mansions in NJ, they exist in places like Colts Neck.

Seriously? Colts Neck looks like it's 100% McMansion to me: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand.../Colts-Neck_NJ

Lots of beautiful estates in horse country - Somerset County and the surrounding area.
post #722 of 1906
ack. First one I clicked on. Look at the furniture and drapes in this place: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...722_1115321702

And the way the white from the stairs contrasts with the wood paneling and the banister is just bleh.
post #723 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
This is the worst thing I have ever seen.

I see the hand of Palladio.


- B
post #724 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post
There are real Mansions in NJ, they exist in places like Colts Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblova View Post
I live a short distance from there. You are quite right, but you would have to add Rumson to that list as well.

No shit? One of my sisters lives there and I never noticed any mansions driving around. A lot of good sized lots, but houses didn't strike me as huge. Same with neighbouring Marlboro Township where one of my brothers lives.
post #725 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post
...Notice this box sticking out of the side on this one which I assume is a closet of some sorts.


The box I think you are pointing out is a gas fireplace.
post #726 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
If "Enya" designed a funeral home that is what it would looked like.
post #727 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post
massive and elaborate, yes, but I think this was the point. I'm reserved about calling it tacky, I'm not sure how to do a 12,000 square foot home and NOT be tacky.



That dining room is particularly stunning. You get the sense that it's in a big, tall room, but the "canope" of sorts molds the room into a different layer of space ... a space within a space. And it just looks damn cool with those skinny pillars.

I find the bathroom to be quite beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
You say elaborate, I say tacky... The whole arch motif repeated ad nauseum is tacky IMO, which is probably why LK likes it to begin with. It would be even if the house was 2,000 sq ft.

What did you think of the old 9 Columbus Circle?

post #728 of 1906
Not a huge fan but not as bad - and it's not a private residence, which makes a world of difference
post #729 of 1906
Apparently that Johnson house was built for entertaining.

The couple who built it lived somewhere else generally it seems.
post #730 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
I find the bathroom to be quite beautiful.

I actually meant to mention this, not sure why I didn't. But yes, the bathroom is arguably my second favorite room in the pictures I've seen. The place with the water and the reflections is quite cool, but IMO a little excessive and a little too focused on the novelty.

I've been meaning to get the GF a book on Johnson's Glass House, but that shit is like $70, I'll be buying wine for that much $$
post #731 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post
I actually meant to mention this, not sure why I didn't. But yes, the bathroom is arguably my second favorite room in the pictures I've seen. The place with the water and the reflections is quite cool, but IMO a little excessive and a little too focused on the novelty. I've been meaning to get the GF a book on Johnson's Glass House, but that shit is like $70, I'll be buying wine for that much $$
The use of plain marble for decorative effect reminds me of Adolf Loos's work for Villa Karma, which also used plain veined marble for the bathroom:
post #732 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
The use of plain marble for decorative effect reminds me of Adolf Loos's work for Villa Karma, which also used plain veined marble for the bathroom:

this is nice, not because I like dark marble (I'm not a big fan actually), but rather because of the way the marble blends into the general entrance. You notice the doors, not the multiple layers of stone (there are a dozen or so individual surfaces of stone in that picture).

I'm not a fran of brutalist brick, but rather concrete. Tadao Ando in particular, though I have a bias as the GF's firm is closely connected with Ando and his US work.
post #733 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post
this is nice, not because I like dark marble (I'm not a big fan actually), but rather because of the way the marble blends into the general entrance. You notice the doors, not the multiple layers of stone (there are a dozen or so individual surfaces of stone in that picture).

I'm not a fran of brutalist brick, but rather concrete. Tadao Ando in particular, though I have a bias as the GF's firm is closely connected with Ando and his US work.

Speaking of Brutalism, here's Paul Rudolph's old apartment, which is extremely glam:

http://nymag.com/homedesign/fall2006/21968/
post #734 of 1906
a little visually crowded for my tastes, but that is only a single picture. Would like to explore in person.
post #735 of 1906
I might have something interesting to post here shortly...a bit of Modernist/International Style history.

- B
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes