or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes - Page 44

post #646 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post

*I mean, now is the time to pack up my shit and wait a week and then move and THEN put the head down and get to work.
... I'm optimistic about this and will always land on my feet. I'm a cat--- just a really fat one.
All the best to you, seriously. You'll do well.
post #647 of 1906
Thanks.
post #648 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroStyles View Post
I'm moving into another crappy studio. This time downtown.

I call it luxury when you can travel from the bedroom to the living room in one chair. Wish I could do that
post #649 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates View Post
I call it luxury when you can travel from the bedroom to the living room in one chair. Wish I could do that

While you may be half joking, I actually really enjoy living in a compact space. Less cleaning, less unnecessary "stuff", etc. I guess since I lives in dorms/suites throughout college, an in a studio in NY, and in hotel rooms for work for years, I've grown quite
comfortable in a small apartment. That said, a 1-br would not hurt.
post #650 of 1906
I sort of expected you to live in the American Gardens building on West 81st Street.
post #651 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
No way, I'm just a smalltimer.
How do I become small time like you? This study of Mediterranean history is not cutting it.
post #652 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post
I sort of expected you to live in the American Gardens building on West 81st Street.

Would you like to join me at the Four Seasons for lunch downtown?
post #653 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroStyles View Post
Would you like to join me at the Four Seasons for lunch downtown?
Definitely, next time I'm in the city.
post #654 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroStyles View Post
While you may be half joking, I actually really enjoy living in a compact space. Less cleaning, less unnecessary "stuff", etc. I guess since I lives in dorms/suites throughout college, an in a studio in NY, and in hotel rooms for work for years, I've grown quite comfortable in a small apartment. That said, a 1-br would not hurt.
+1 Although Douglas's new house looks amazing...
post #655 of 1906
It is true, I was speaking in a light hearted tone, but there was truth to my comment. I'd love to downsize and I think it takes a strong, confident individual to live without constant need for "bigger" (which seems to be a common American thought) and "more".

Both of these Tao Te Ching quotes are appropriate:

"To know you have enough is to be rich."

"Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power. If you realize that you have enough, you are truly rich."
post #656 of 1906
I never understood the appeal of the McMansion or the need for 5,000 square feet. Even worse, usually it's 5,000 square feet of poorly designed space. I would MUCH rather have a smartly designed place than an exhibition of sheer size. Metro's place, IMO, is a little too small since I do like living space and sleeping space to be separate entities.
post #657 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post
I never understood the appeal of the McMansion or the need for 5,000 square feet. Even worse, usually it's 5,000 square feet of poorly designed space. I would MUCH rather have a smartly designed place than an exhibition of sheer size. Metro's place, IMO, is a little too small since I do like living space and sleeping space to be separate entities.
A couple friends had mcmansions when I was a kid. I would imagine that the appeal is partly in the buffer zones. :P We used to play in rooms that were far away from the master bedroom and areas where the parents spent a lot of time. My best friend had a huge game room where we could be as loud as we wanted without driving his mother crazy. No knoll furniture in that room, but since it was the domain of kids and nobody else saw it, i don't think they cared too much. Even as an adult, i could see the appeal. Were I married, I might want to listen to music in peace away from kids, or work without having to deal with tons of noise, etc. Large square-footage enables everyone to have their own space where they can enjoy quiet/music/movies/video games etc without disturbance.
post #658 of 1906
I agree geek, larger spaces are better when you're living with a family and need some alone-time. Living by myself, though, I love the convenience of a place where everything from the shower to the refrigerator is only a few steps away
post #659 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asch View Post
I agree geek, larger spaces are better when you're living with a family and need some alone-time. Living by myself, though, I love the convenience of a place where everything from the shower to the refrigerator is only a few steps away

My last place was about 1000 sq. ft. It was the perfect size for a single person imo.

All considered, I prefer spaces that cost more per square foot because they use better materials and construction. That said, if I ever have 3 kids (no plans to but who knows), i'd give serious consideration to a mcmansion because I'd go nuts with screaming brats running around all day while i'm trying to work/study, or even just listen to some music in peace.
post #660 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
Thanks man, glad to hear that, especially from you. The thing with Cyrus is that I was going to spend the rest of my future there as an entry-level line cook, or at most a garde manger chef de partie. I would likely never make it onto the hotline b/c I didn't have the foundation of knowledge and experience that everyone else there (and the hundred people applying for a job each month) had. That level of kitchen isn't the kind of place you go to learn how to cook, you go there with a high level of expertise and refine it into as near perfection as it can get. So I feel good at the chance to go to a kitchen that is a little lower than Cyrus, but where I can learn to be a badass line cook and pound out quality food and get the foundation.

BTW, between the wolfgang puck thing and the fact that Grant Achatz worked at Charlie Trotter's right out of culinary school but quit after 6 months, I feel like I'm not going to spend the rest of my life dropping fries w/ truffle oil and parmesan at some shitty "upscale" bar & grill.


Kyle,

I'd strongly suggest you forgo Indiana and consider Atlanta. That is a new hotbed, and there's so many great chefs there you could work for and still live somewhat affordably. Cleveland is a good idea too, but in all honesty Atlanta would be far superior of a choice.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes