• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American table manners

Allen

Reaction score
I live in Europe. However I enjoy the american style of dining("where meat is cut with the knife in the right hand and fork in the left, but then the utensils are switched after cutting. The knife is placed across the top of the plate, and the fork is switched from the left hand to right.") instead of the European one of eating with your left hand.
I have attended many dinners before, and no one seemed to care, but recently a friend told me that it's bad manners(perhaps not being aware of american manners).
So, is it in bad taste to eat American-ish in Europe or is it a matter of preference?
Mind you, I got used to the American style and it would be hard for me to change.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole concept of having to hold your utensils in a certain way is absurd. I eat the way that is comfortable for me. If anyone comments about the way I eat I just laugh. Then again I despised being told how to do something.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
American's have manners?
confused.gif

OldGeezer

Reaction score
I grew up going between the US and the UK. When in London, we would eat the "English" way--fork in left hand (upside down) and knife in right hand, with index fingers extended on each utensil. In the US we would go back the the "American" way. Both are equally comfortable for me, but I eat the American way in the US, and usually in Europe. However, when in UK, I still eat the English way without thinking about it.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I put the knife in my left hand and the fork in my right hand. Then I cut food and eat it. Then I repeat this process until I'm not hungry any more.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't aware there was an American way. I thought everyone put the fork in left, knife in right.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I am left handed and do the opposite. But then, I have never been accused of having excellent manners.

spence

Reaction score
While I wasn't raised this way, at some time I did switch to, and to this day always use the EU style of knife and fork. I just find it to be easier...

That being said, switching the fork from left to right shouldn't ever be considered bad manners. There are plenty of other things you can do like eating with your mouth open, smacking your lips, reaching across someone etc... that would be universally unacceptable at a proper table.

divitius

Reaction score
I vaguely recall seeing some WWII movie where a German officer spotted a US infiltrator by watching how he ate a steak. Might have been Inglourious Basterds.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by divitius
Might have been Inglourious Basterds.

They caught him because of how he counted on his fingers in IB.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always cut my food with my knife in my right hand, but actually eat it with the fork in my right. It's just easier.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
you guys are referring to "continental" ie American style of eating. In Europe it's considered either strange or rude. Why? because you're shuffling around the utensils which implies that you don't have a good sense of doing things the way they're meant to be done, ie it's "improper" and clumsy, and also sort of implies a lack of upbringing with any sort of adherence to tradition and rules. If you cut everything up first and then only use your fork and eat it's seen as presumptuous to deconstruct the whole plate and then just focus on shoveling it in. It's too contrived and makes it seem like you're just there to eat instead of for the company and you're slowly working your way through some food.

It would be like buttering the whole piece of bread then taking a bite and putting it back on the plate. it's just not suave. bread should be torn, buttered, and eaten. you wouldn't spread ketchup on the steak, pick it up, bite off a piece and put it back on your plate, would you?

at least according to Emily Post anyway.

and OP, don't take this the wrong way but just because nobody said anything doesn't mean they didn't notice and have an opinion about it. Your friend was doing you a favor by pointing it out.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone knows real Americans don't need utensils. What use are they for our hamburgers, pizza and french fries?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
I wasn't aware there was an American way. I thought everyone put the fork in left, knife in right.

Originally Posted by Master-Classter
you guys are referring to "continental" ie American style of eating. In Europe it's considered either strange or rude. Why? because you're shuffling around the utensils which implies that you don't have a good sense of doing things the way they're meant to be done, ie it's "improper" and clumsy, and also sort of implies a lack of upbringing with any sort of adherence to tradition and rules. If you cut everything up first and then only use your fork and eat it's seen as presumptuous to deconstruct the whole plate and then just focus on shoveling it in. It's too contrived and makes it seem like you're just there to eat instead of for the company and you're slowly working your way through some food.

It would be like buttering the whole piece of bread then taking a bite and putting it back on the plate. it's just not suave. bread should be torn, buttered, and eaten. you wouldn't spread ketchup on the steak, pick it up, bite off a piece and put it back on your plate, would you?

and OP, don't take this the wrong way but just because nobody said anything doesn't mean they didn't notice and have an opinion about it. Your friend was doing you a favor by pointing it out.

I'm sorry but I find most americans to have brutish table manners. "European" table manners are actually designed to give one the most efficient, and clean way of eating. I don't judge people with manners like yours but I just don't get it.

It seems incredibly inefficient and to me looks rather inelegant. But that's me, and it doesn't really matter that much.

Allen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
^I am left handed and do the opposite. But then, I have never been accused of having excellent manners.
As far as I know, if you are left handed you simply reverse the role of the right with the left.

Originally Posted by Master-Classter

About that Emily Post thing: notice how the fork ends up in the right hand from time to time.

Mind you, it is not bad table manners to do that in the US, I was just asking if it is also correct in Europe.

I don't think all Americans have bad table manners. For example, I have friends from Boston and from Louisiana and frankly, they have good table manners. At least, better than a certain frenchman I know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads