or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › American table manners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

American table manners - Page 4

post #46 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Bardamu View Post
This is absolutely the proper way to use a fork in terms of etiquette, but how contra-functional!

Next question: who spoons their soup away from them?

My mother, who is painfully bourgeois, made us eat Sunday dinners with all the proper place settings so that we could learn to eat "in polite company". One emphasis of these "lessons" was the "out-to-sea-and-back-to-me" mnemonic for eating soup. I am sure she worried that her sons, offspring as they were of farm-stock, would, left to their own devices, behave like wolves or bears.

Heh -- you know, I think she was right.
post #47 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post
Eat as Europeans do... with some decor & common sense!

I live in Europe and you'd be shocked. I saw people using their ties to wipe their mouth, drinking the water with a bit of lemon intended for washing your hands, farting during meals and using their socks to wipe the grease from their fingers.
People usually don't have good table manners. The continent is not important.
Oh, and here most smokers won't care if you finished eating. They'll blow smoke in your face as soon as they can. Even I, as a smoker, am annoyed by that fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartmann View Post
I've found that the way people hold their knife and fork to be a reliable indicator of their social class. It's rather amusing.

I don't know... I happen to know farmers with very good table manners.
post #48 of 82
I have found that when you are better dressed than everybody at the table nobody can tell you howto properly eat. If they do they are hypocrites.
post #49 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post
I have found that when you are better dressed than everybody at the table nobody can tell you howto properly eat. If they do they are hypocrites.
I'm sorry but I find inelegant eating to be far more offensive than someone who is poorly dressed. Lipstick on a pig, my friend.
post #50 of 82
I find table manners are as much about general comportment as about particulars. If you are an ill-kept mess and generally not a good table companion it really will not matter how you hold your fork or cut your food. However, if you are well groomed, reasonably dressed, and an interesting table companion? No one is going to give a damn if you accidentally use the wrong fork.
post #51 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
When I invite my North American family to restaurants in France, they are shocked by our practice of making mouillettes (dipping bread into the leftover sauce on the plate). North Americans also love dressing up to eat out somewhere nice, which means I frequently come off as a slob in restaurants here. Different strokes?
People who do not use their bread in sauce should probably not be people we know.
post #52 of 82
What about French hotel manners? I mean if we're going to go by anecdotal examples...
post #53 of 82
post #54 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
People who do not use their bread in sauce should probably not be people we know.

I must be following this rule as I'm shocked there are people out there that don't do this. I bet these same people refuse to have sex in anything but the missionary position and balk at anything as scandalous as oral sex.
post #55 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
I live in Europe and you'd be shocked. I saw people using their ties to wipe their mouth, drinking the water with a bit of lemon intended for washing your hands, farting during meals and using their socks to wipe the grease from their fingers. People usually don't have good table manners. The continent is not important. Oh, and here most smokers won't care if you finished eating. They'll blow smoke in your face as soon as they can. Even I, as a smoker, am annoyed by that fact.
post #56 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post
What about French hotel manners? I mean if we're going to go by anecdotal examples...
I don't take manners lessons from conservatives masquerading as socialists.
post #57 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
I don't take manners lessons from conservatives masquerading as socialists.

Personally I blame his Jewishness, can't trust those people...
post #58 of 82
Wow, and for years we always made fun of my dad for nitpicking how we ate. Now SF has shown me that he wasn't being pedantic and British, but we were being slovenly and American.
post #59 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
People who do not use their bread in sauce should probably not be people we know.

I try to teach them but my family was (is) ultra-montagne Catholic so it is hard to break old prejudices. I'm lucky I didn't have to wear short pants until I was twelve.

Another thing I've noticed is that North Americans are incredibly loud when they talk in public. Whenever I go to a restaurant here I feel like I'm at a Chinese bazaar. You can practically make out the conversation at every table.
post #60 of 82
Catholics don't dip bread in sauce? Weird.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › American table manners