• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes for a military wedding

naviator

Reaction score
I've been a long time reader here, but this is my first post. The wedding in the title is my own, next March. I'm a Naval officer, and my bride-to-be wants me in uniform for the occasion. The appropriate uniform would be the the Formal Dress. Link to uniform spec I generally don't approve of the industrial quality of the uniform items sold in the uniform shop, so I opt for higher quality items from outside sources wherever possible. For this occasion, I want the best quality available. Since I don't own this uniform yet, this is my chance to make it perfect from the ground up. I've already ordered the jacket and trousers from my tailor. For the shirt I'll be wearing Brooks Brothers with detachable collar wing collar, BB Vest, and BB bowtie.

The only remaining question is the shoes. The uniform spec calls for a plain toe oxford, and depicts a 5 eyelet blucher. For this, there are two solutions I'm considering, and I'm stumped on which one to go with. I've always been an Allen Edmonds fan, as they fit me perfectly and are a bit of a family tradition, so that's where I'm focusing.

First option, Allen Edmonds Leeds. Link These shoes are a perfect match for the uniform spec. Plus, I could wear them with any other uniform that calls for black shoes (which is good, since I need new black shoes anyway). For this occasion, I could polish them to a mirror shine (I can almost match patent leather), and perhaps add silk laces to dress them up. The question is, would this be formal enough?

Second option, Allen Edmonds Kendall. Link These shoes are certainly formal enough, but they are too formal and too distinctive to be worn with anything but the formal dress uniform. Therefore, it's a little harder to justify spending that much money.

So, any thoughts? I'd be very interested in hearing outside opinions on the matter. Thanks.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Leeds are a good choice if you're looking to wear them for other occasions. I think you'll be fine if you polish them well.

Another patent leather shoe that I prefer to the AEs are BB. It's a little more expensive, but it looks much more classic.

Carlisle Blues

Reaction score
I would stick with the Leeds they will polish to a beautiful shine. I do my own shoe shine work, however, if you do not you will be able to find an enterprising person on base to do it for the wedding...

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by naviator
I've been a long time reader here, but this is my first post. The wedding in the title is my own, next March. I'm a Naval officer, and my bride-to-be wants me in uniform for the occasion. The appropriate uniform would be the the Formal Dress. Link to uniform spec I generally don't approve of the industrial quality of the uniform items sold in the uniform shop, so I opt for higher quality items from outside sources wherever possible. For this occasion, I want the best quality available. Since I don't own this uniform yet, this is my chance to make it perfect from the ground up. I've already ordered the jacket and trousers from my tailor. For the shirt I'll be wearing Brooks Brothers with detachable collar wing collar, BB Vest, and BB bowtie.

The only remaining question is the shoes. The uniform spec calls for a plain toe oxford, and depicts a 5 eyelet blucher. For this, there are two solutions I'm considering, and I'm stumped on which one to go with. I've always been an Allen Edmonds fan, as they fit me perfectly and are a bit of a family tradition, so that's where I'm focusing.

First option, Allen Edmonds Leeds. Link These shoes are a perfect match for the uniform spec. Plus, I could wear them with any other uniform that calls for black shoes (which is good, since I need new black shoes anyway). For this occasion, I could polish them to a mirror shine (I can almost match patent leather), and perhaps add silk laces to dress them up. The question is, would this be formal enough?

Second option, Allen Edmonds Kendall. Link These shoes are certainly formal enough, but they are too formal and too distinctive to be worn with anything but the formal dress uniform. Therefore, it's a little harder to justify spending that much money.

So, any thoughts? I'd be very interested in hearing outside opinions on the matter. Thanks.

If authorized for military wear, get the Leeds. We do not have such options in the Marine Corps; must be nice...I have a pair, for business casual wear...

tj100

Reaction score
I'd be inclined to go with a balmoral instead of a blucher, if regulation allows it. Something seems incongruous about wearing a blucher with the white tie equivilent.

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tj100
I'd be inclined to go with a balmoral instead of a blucher, if regulation allows it. Something seems incongruous about wearing a blucher with the white tie equivilent.

That's the military formal shoe. We do not wear balmorals...

tgt465

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cmacey
That's the military formal shoe. We do not wear balmorals...
Interesting, considering the Blucher originated in the military as well, albeit of a different nation.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leeds or Alden 9901.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plain toed, oxford style black, brown, or white, low quarter, lace shoe, made of smooth leather or synthetic leather. The heel shall be an outside heel 3/4 inch - 7/8 inch high with a flat sole.
The description says Oxford (Balmoral), the picture is a Derby (Blucher). Somebody needs to make their mind up...
devil.gif

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Infrasonic
The description says Oxford (Balmoral), the picture is a Derby (Blucher). Somebody needs to make their mind up...

Military shoes are blucher not balmoral.

naviator

Reaction score
If authorized for military wear, get the Leeds. We do not have such options in the Marine Corps; must be nice...I have a pair, for business casual wear...

Are you sure you don't? I've known a few Marine officers in the past that opted for something other the standard Bates shoes from the uniform shop. I had a Lt. Col. mentor back in the day that wore Aldens. That said, these days it's hard to find a Marine wearing anything other than those awful shiny synthetic shoes. Is that all they're allowing these days?

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by naviator
Are you sure you don't? I've known a few Marine officers in the past that opted for something other the standard Bates shoes from the uniform shop. I had a Lt. Col. mentor back in the day that wore Aldens. That said, these days it's hard to find a Marine wearing anything other than those awful shiny synthetic shoes. Is that all they're allowing these days?

25 years says we don't. Even our boots must have the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor stamped on the outside. The regs are very clear what can be worn, and when uniform articles can be worn (i.e., for liberty with civilian clothing, etc.). If he wore Aldens, he was in violation of Marine Corps regs. But seriously, who's gonna have the gumption to question the shoes of a LtCol, right?

naviator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
The Leeds are a good choice if you're looking to wear them for other occasions. I think you'll be fine if you polish them well.

Another patent leather shoe that I prefer to the AEs are BB. It's a little more expensive, but it looks much more classic.

I agree with you about that balmoral! It does look better for the occasion. Unfortunately, bluchers are the only thing you can really get away with in uniform.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You want answers?
I want the shoes!
You can't handle the shoes!

naviator

Reaction score
25 years says we don't. Even our boots must have the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor stamped on the outside. The regs are very clear what can be worn, and when uniform articles can be worn (i.e., for liberty with civilian clothing, etc.). If he wore Aldens, he was in violation of Marine Corps regs. But seriously, who's gonna have the gumption to question the shoes of a LtCol, right?

Thanks, that's interesting. I didn't know that about the Corps. I guess that explains why all of the better military tailors out there don't do Marine Corps uniforms. And you're right... I'm not about to question an O-5 on his choice of footwear. In the Navy though it's not uncommon to use outside suppliers instead of the industrial quality uniforms available on base.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads