• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tablet PC's

lilmann40

Reaction score
I'm looking to pick up a tablet. Something pretty cheap would be best...$400 or under preferably.

Really, what I'm looking for is something to browse the internet and check e-mail, and the occasional video (youtube or something posted from forums, etc.).

Does anybody own a tablet at all? Any recommendations? There's quite a few options out there from the looks of it (Amazon).

Let me know, thanks!

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not sure you are going to find anything for under $250 that's worth buying. You don't need to spend a fortune, but that price point is pushing it.

Daseinflaw

Reaction score
Velocity Micro sells an Android tablet in that price range. It's okay, but I really wouldn't recommend it. I suggest either increase the max price or go for a netbook instead.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you talking a full blown Tablet PC with Win 7? or something along the lines of an IPAD 2, Blackberry Playbook? I really havent seen nice Tablet PC's for cheap. You might find a Tablet PC used for that price range, may be Lenovo X61 tablet or a similar Dell.

wraith

Reaction score
At $400, I think that the EEE Pad Transformer is the tablet to get right now. Beautiful hardware, runs Honeycomb out of the box, and has a few little accessories that let it stand out from the pack.

Daseinflaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wraith
At $400, I think that the EEE Pad Transformer is the tablet to get right now. Beautiful hardware, runs Honeycomb out of the box, and has a few little accessories that let it stand out from the pack.

Definitely agree. This is a wonderful piece of hardware from a trusted manufacturer.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ + 1. I checked out the specs on the ASUS Tablet with Android OS, looks promising.

transient

Reaction score
You can get a used iPad 1 for around $300 now. Real iPad alternatives are still 1-2 years away. I'm posting from the iPad I bought when they released April of last year, still rocking.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had an Ipad 1 for a while and it was good fun/ useful though not essential which is why I got rid of it in the end. Using a Dell Streak for browsing and occasional pdf reading, but for movies and games, the iOS tablets have the slight upper hand. Most Android devices will perform quite well also. Just don't expect to be able to do much work ie word processing on these tablets except in an emergency.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apologies for thread-jacking, but does anyone use a tablet with hand-writing recognition software?

How good are they?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by transient
You can get a used iPad 1 for around $300 now. Real iPad alternatives are still 1-2 years away. I'm posting from the iPad I bought when they released April of last year, still rocking.

Plenty of iPad alternatives are here now, pretty much any decently specced tablet which is running Android 3.0(Honeycomb). All with the great advantage of not been locked to proprietary software on a single computer(iTunes umbilical), just to get songs and other content on or off them.

Originally Posted by chobochobo
I had an Ipad 1 for a while and it was good fun/ useful though not essential which is why I got rid of it in the end. Using a Dell Streak for browsing and occasional pdf reading, but for movies and games, the iOS tablets have the slight upper hand. Most Android devices will perform quite well also. Just don't expect to be able to do much work ie word processing on these tablets except in an emergency.

Agreed, there is no substitute for having a real physical keyboard that one can touch-type at high-speed with.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT
Plenty of iPad alternatives are here now, pretty much any decently specced tablet which is running Android 3.0(Honeycomb). All with the great advantage of not been locked to proprietary software on a single computer(iTunes umbilical), just to get songs and other content on or off them.

I'm betting that transient's use of "real" meant equally capable, rather than the stuff released so far that was rushed to market because everyone thought "tablets=money." And I agree we're probably a couple of years away from those, though I'll be glad to switch over and lose iTunes and Apple.

herragge

Reaction score
Very impressed with the lack of iPad devoted owners. Fact of the matter is, tablet manufactures are slowly chipping away at Apple's market share. The number of users using smartphones and tablets will exceed PC's next year, as per Deloitte TMT predictions. That is alot of tablets!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads