• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Understanding Denim

djc

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have decided to start writing up a blog series called "Understanding Denim" based all around denim. The first few posts are to help answer a few common questions on how to buy and care for your denim.

http://inseamstore.wordpress.com/

Understanding Denim Part 1: The Basics
Understanding Denim Part 2: Buying Tips

I am open to any constructive criticism here - this is my personal opinion and I know not everyone is going to agree.

My next post will be about "Wash and Care Tips". Please drop some suggestions as to what other topics you would like covered.

Cheers,
Darren

mikecch

Reaction score
^ Nice!
Could expand on the buying tips by incorporating methods of discerning quality/character of denim and construct of jeans.

I think I've also written about similar topics in the past - but it's always good to have some understanding of a merchant's perspective
smile.gif

djc

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
There is just SO much to write about! It is very hard to keep it succinct enough so that people don't get bored reading it all. When I'm typing it all out it really doesn't seem like im typing much - but then when I finish and look at that wall of text I am worried nobody will read it all
cry.gif
Thanks for that tip Mike - I will do another separate post to cover that topic after I publish wash and care tips
smile.gif

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see some independent research rather than regurgitated "facts" from the interwebz.

*#..

Reaction score
I just read the Basics. If I didn't know anything about selvedge, I'd find the article very informative.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by djc
Hey all,

I have decided to start writing up a blog series called "Understanding Denim" based all around denim. The first few posts are to help answer a few common questions on how to buy and care for your denim.

http://inseamstore.wordpress.com/

Understanding Denim Part 1: The Basics
Understanding Denim Part 2: Buying Tips

I am open to any constructive criticism here - this is my personal opinion and I know not everyone is going to agree.

My next post will be about "Wash and Care Tips". Please drop some suggestions as to what other topics you would like covered.

Cheers,
Darren

cool.

djc

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the support and feedback guys
biggrin.gif
Im glad my rants are of some use - keep the suggestions coming!

Originally Posted by entrero
I'd like to see some independent research rather than regurgitated "facts" from the interwebz.

My aim here is really to educate beginners about denim first off before I start working into the technicalities of it all. What topics did you have in mind that are not "regurgitated facts"? I am more than happy to take suggestions on what to write about, but in reality there's hardly a thing you wont find on the internet already..

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero

yes, there are plenty of entrero's that do exactly that already.

951socal

Reaction score
tensile strength increases of various metals blended with denim, IE apc stainless steel vs standard 13 .5oz selv denim.

Pablo-T

Reaction score
"Dry cleaners use strong detergents which affect the fade." Do they?

There are plenty of arguments against dry cleaning: the effect on the environment, and the chemicals which therefore leach into your denim, but the point of dry cleaning surely is that it leaves jeans un-faded, if you like the look of dry denim.

djc

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pablo-T
"Dry cleaners use strong detergents which affect the fade." Do they?

There are plenty of arguments against dry cleaning: the effect on the environment, and the chemicals which therefore leach into your denim, but the point of dry cleaning surely is that it leaves jeans un-faded, if you like the look of dry denim.

Sorry, I meant their chemical solvents. I absentmindedly typed detergent - I will edit that. Thanks for pointing it out.

The dry cleaners use a mixture of chemicals and steam to remove stains and clean the clothing without actually having to put it in the wash. This will affect the raw denim's fading characteristics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads