or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Whence whale pants?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Whence whale pants?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Hello, I am really curious about the history of whale pants (pants with embroidered whales). They weren't invented in the 80's were they? There's a curious lack of history on the internets... any information about whale pants would be most appreciated, including different tips on styling.
post #2 of 19
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramseytheii View Post
Hello, I am really curious about the history of whale pants (pants with embroidered whales). They weren't invented in the 80's were they? There's a curious lack of history on the internets... any information about whale pants would be most appreciated, including different tips on styling.
I don't know, so I'll speculate. My guess is that it's a "marriage" of the "preppy/Ivy League" tendency for logos representing groups or affiliations and the Save the Whales campaign begun in the 70s. http://www.greenpeace.org/internatio...paign-history/ I graduated from an Ivy League school in the 60s and in my time no one wore trousers embroidered with anything. That was the province of club ties.
post #4 of 19
Really? I thought it was just generic marine iconography.
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramseytheii View Post
Hello, I am really curious about the history of whale pants (pants with embroidered whales). They weren't invented in the 80's were they? There's a curious lack of history on the internets... any information about whale pants would be most appreciated, including different tips on styling.

Why do people even respond?
post #6 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxpats View Post
Why do people even respond?

Sorry, it wasn't spam, I am genuinely curious!

I did a search in the forum but nothing came up for whale pants. if I am missing something please do tell me.
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by softy View Post
Really? I thought it was just generic marine iconography.
That's my guess. The whale is my favorite critter, followed by the crab. I like it most when the whale has water spewing out its blowhole.
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Wang View Post
I like it most when the whale has water spewing out its blowhole.

post #9 of 19
I am a seahorse fan. Very rare however.
post #10 of 19


If they made this on pants I would wear it.
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another New Yorker View Post
I am a seahorse fan. Very rare however.
I could go for seahorse, but it doesn't seem very New England as it is a warm water creature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by softy View Post
It was the most succinct phrasing that I could come up with.
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxpats View Post
Why do people even respond?

Why would this be spam?
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by softy View Post


If they made this on pants I would wear it.

The walking fish?
post #14 of 19
They're probably trying to tap into the Nantucket and hence uber preppy iconography. Whales. Hemingway. Fat Whales. Chic.
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGrotius View Post
They're probably trying to tap into the Nantucket and hence uber preppy iconography. Whales. Hemingway. Fat Whales. Chic.

Agree with most of this sentence, but I don't know if I would call Hemingway "preppy".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Whence whale pants?