• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shorts: What will be your "1 step above the masses" pair this summer?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cargo shorts. Chino shorts. They are boring and commonplace. Madras shorts. A bit much, and may not be age appropriate. Seersucker? Linen? What pair of shorts in your closet will get the most use? Shorts that strike the ideal balance between casual yet adult stylish... Please post links. I want to buy. http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shorts.jsp These actually look interesting:
images_eiec_25_25994_25994_WO6311_tif_84370b5a11d7186b.jpg
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...5994/25994.jsp

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
What will be your "1 step above the masses" pair this summer?

shorts_12_low_res_web1.jpg

Rubinacci Gurkhas (on the left), one in each color of the rainbow and lined in the waistband and crotch with CVS cloth tape.

I should be able to go all of the summer without laundering. The SW&D kids call this, "whiskering."

fistbump.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Patagonia stand ups, J Crew Stanton's, and seersuckers, motifs and madras from a combination of Brooks, Vineyard Vines, and Polo. Stand ups are 5" the rest are tailored down to 6"-6.5."

Should I cuff the seersucker shorts? I have a few nice pairs in pinks, yellows, greens, and blues last from last summer that are 9 inches so I have some material to work with.

Might also get pc shorts from southern proper, and the brand "castaway" seems to have a few great pieces with awesome customization.

Stand ups are beyond durable, but for some water activities, I'll wear columbia PFG's in Coral, blue, teal, and khaki, and for the gym, etc. I have these really comfy climacool Adidas tennis shorts.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Minnis flannel with forward pleats, thinking various shades of grey, brown .

Inspired!

What kind of sweatshirt and giant sunglasses to go with?

confused.gif

inq89

Reaction score
Wish I can say chino shorts are commonplace in my area, but that is reserved to cargo and athletic shorts. So my go-to are my RL chino shorts, LE nantucket reds, and JCrew seersucker. Also have a Tommy Bahama linen shorts in patterned orange on yellow that looks pretty tropical, may break that out for beach vacations.

AE7

Reaction score
http://www1.yoox.com/item/YOOX/PIOMB...W/sts/sr_men80 These ones. I am surprised how hard it is to find a pair of shorts that are classic, not too long, not too short, not too baggy, not too slim. Almost as hard as to find a pair of fitting blue jeans. A question: would one pair be enough to get through the summer?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
ter1413, those red chambrays look interesting.
I wish they had other colors.

They did have other colors..Must be sold out.
I ordered a pair of "reddish" pair from Polo last yr and they were more orange than red. can't find a deep red/burgandy pair...

Bane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by F. Corbera
shorts_12_low_res_web1.jpg

Rubinacci Gurkhas (on the left), one in each color of the rainbow and lined in the waistband and crotch with CVS cloth tape.

I should be able to go all of the summer without laundering. The SW&D kids call this, "whiskering."

fistbump.gif

*This* is how I keep from doing laundry? Outstanding.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't own a pair of shorts as of today. I'm thinking about buying a pair of Mabitex or Incotex pants and making shorts out of them. Anything wrong with that?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now, I like the grey JCrew shorts the white linen Tommy Bahamas.
They will match nicely with blue, white, yellow, and pink oxfords.

It seems I am gravitating towards conservative business dress office wear even for the summer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads