or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › is it okay to wear a tux with a normal dress shirt and a tie?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

is it okay to wear a tux with a normal dress shirt and a tie?

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
thanks guys
post #2 of 36
No.
post #3 of 36
Thread Starter 
i see, so i should wear a bow ? and a tux dress shirt?
post #4 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SalvatoreLucania View Post
i see, so i should wear a bow ? and a tux dress shirt?

Yes, a bowtie and a shirt with a "bib" that is rigid and you can put studs through to fasten it closed. Don't get a wing collar shirt get a normal spread collar tux shirt.
post #5 of 36
Thread Starter 
thanks and its for prom, thats why im wondering if i can wear a regular dress shirt and a tie. its a double breasted tux by the way.
post #6 of 36
You will look 100x classier than everybody else if you stay away from those loud-ass colors, stick with black and white and tie your own bowtie, not one of those pre-tied ones. Also, spread collar tux shirt with studs and french cuffs. You're golden.
post #7 of 36
Nay, nay and thrice nay!

I have a Thomas Pink maricella shirt for sale, turn down collar, picque cotton, French cuffs, hidden placket so you don't need studs. $50 plus whatever it costs to post, 15.5 neck, 33 sleeves. Now all you need is a black bow tie.
post #8 of 36
Thread Starter 
thanks alot patrick, i was gonna wear a normal white dress shirt, red tie and a red hankerchief on the pocket.
post #9 of 36
See here:




post #10 of 36
^ Good grief that last photo is horrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SalvatoreLucania View Post
thanks and its for prom, thats why im wondering if i can wear a regular dress shirt and a tie. its a double breasted tux by the way.
Whatever you do, don't let Styleforum dress you for prom. Between the trolls and the 75-year-olds who think a 12-inch rise is minuscule, it will all go wrong. Dress similarly to how others are going to dress. If you don't know/can't ask your friends what they're wearing, look for photos of last year's event. Nobody took the time to wear a bowtie, tux shirt, etc. to my high-school or my college prom: essentially, everyone wore a suit. If you're the only guy in the crowd in a real tuxedo, it doesn't matter if a bunch of twats on the internet say you're the only guy doing it right, you will look like a douchebag. If everyone is going to dress properly, then of course you should follow suit.
post #11 of 36
Thread Starter 
great pictures. the buttons on the tux dress shirt dont have to be black buttons? im looking up spread collar tux shirt right now and hows this one
LL
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SalvatoreLucania View Post
great pictures. the buttons on the tux dress shirt dont have to be black buttons? im looking up spread collar tux shirt right now and hows this one

I think that is ok, I prefer white mother of pearl, but I think you will be ok.
post #13 of 36
do what patrick posted....(except the shoes)
post #14 of 36
I like how this is the new Wikipedia photo for "Tuxedo":

post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe View Post
Whatever you do, don't let Styleforum dress you for prom. Between the trolls and the 75-year-olds who think a 12-inch rise is minuscule, it will all go wrong.

Dress similarly to how others are going to dress. If you don't know/can't ask your friends what they're wearing, look for photos of last year's event.

Nobody took the time to wear a bowtie, tux shirt, etc. to my high-school or my college prom: essentially, everyone wore a suit. If you're the only guy in the crowd in a real tuxedo, it doesn't matter if a bunch of twats on the internet say you're the only guy doing it right, you will look like a douchebag.

That is your experience. My high school prom everybody wore tuxes and when I look back at the pictures I tell myself I would have looked better if I tied my own bowtie. He obviously wants to look good so I see nothing wrong with it. It is not like I am ancient by any means, I am 26 not speaking from a much older generation.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › is it okay to wear a tux with a normal dress shirt and a tie?