or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale? - Page 512

post #7666 of 8284

They've always been made in the U.S. There were, however, very, very, similar shirts that were imported. They were the ones with the lighter fabric.

post #7667 of 8284
The material for the ocbd from 20 years ago was slightly thinner and nicer in my opinion.
post #7668 of 8284
How is the own make & black fleece quality?
post #7669 of 8284
post #7670 of 8284
Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMD View Post

How is the own make & black fleece quality?

Own Make seems pretty good. Fairly stiff, though. My brother has a tweed sportcoat from their first Own Make collection; it is boxy and stiff, though the boxy look is something trads appreciate. I say stiff in comparison only to the soft tailoring I prefer via Eidos or other Italian brands.

I've only owned the Black Fleece shirts, none of their pants, sportcoats or anything else. The OCBD's are great—better than BB's typical ones. And a bunch in staple colors are back in stock atm—probably ones that sat in some store and were transferred back to the main inventory. Just snagged a university stripe and light blue one actually. I would strongly suggest getting them if you can. $78 is worth the price.
post #7671 of 8284

Does anybody know what the lapel width is on the Fitzgerald suits?

post #7672 of 8284
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamgrinus View Post

Does anybody know what the lapel width is on the Fitzgerald suits?

it's 2.75" i believe.

edit: wrong. 3" according to the internet—http://dappered.com/2014/09/the-splurge-in-praise-of-the-brooks-brothers-fitzgerald-fit/
post #7673 of 8284
Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMD View Post

How is the own make & black fleece quality?

The only things I own out of the BBBF collection are one pair of shoes (some stunning Crockett & Jones double monks), a wool bow tie, and a cotton bow tie.  The shoes are made in England (although the website simply listed them as "imported") and the ties I believe were made in the U.S.A.  All are high quality and I am always pleased to wear them (I even proposed wearing the wool tie).  I have tried some of their coats, but unfortunately the fit has been too unflattering to justify my purchase (I must fit somewhere between BB1 and BB2).

 

Own Make is another mixed bag for me.  

My favorite blazer comes from the Own Make collection, but it is so poorly represented on their website you would probably never know it existed: https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Regent-Fit-Own-Make-Sport-Coat/MM00431,default,pd.html.  Contrary to the picture, it is a classic patch pocket, 3 roll 2, soft, natural shouldered, hopsack medium-light navy blue blazer with unadorned buttons that fits so well and classically by way of its Regent fit that it feels like I am not even wearing a jacket at all.  I normally wear a 38R and that is what I wear in that blazer.

However, I have learned that if the Own Make items are not prefaced by "Regent Fit" that I should expect them to fit like my experiences with BBBF - too small and at the same time too large in all the wrong places (too small in the shoulders and arms and too large in the waist).  

Even with some poor experiences on fit, I have not ruled out the Own Make collection for suits and sport coats because I find the fabrics, patterns, and construction (I believe made by Southwick) to be very nice.

You may be asking about these collections for this reason, but both have been discontinued.

post #7674 of 8284
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathandTaxes View Post

The only things I own out of the BBBF collection are one pair of shoes (some stunning Crockett & Jones double monks), a wool bow tie, and a cotton bow tie.  The shoes are made in England (although the website simply listed them as "imported") and the ties I believe were made in the U.S.A.  All are high quality and I am always pleased to wear them (I even proposed wearing the wool tie).  I have tried some of their coats, but unfortunately the fit has been too unflattering to justify my purchase (I must fit somewhere between BB1 and BB2).

Own Make is another mixed bag for me.  


My favorite blazer comes from the Own Make collection, but it is so poorly represented on their website you would probably never know it existed: https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Regent-Fit-Own-Make-Sport-Coat/MM00431,default,pd.html.  Contrary to the picture, it is a classic patch pocket, 3 roll 2, soft, natural shouldered, hopsack medium-light navy blue blazer with unadorned buttons that fits so well and classically by way of its Regent fit that it feels like I am not even wearing a jacket at all.  I normally wear a 38R and that is what I wear in that blazer.


However, I have learned that if the Own Make items are not prefaced by "Regent Fit" that I should expect them to fit like my experiences with BBBF - too small and at the same time too large in all the wrong places (too small in the shoulders and arms and too large in the waist).  


Even with some poor experiences on fit, I have not ruled out the Own Make collection for suits and sport coats because I find the fabrics, patterns, and construction (I believe made by Southwick) to be very nice.


You may be asking about these collections for this reason, but both have been discontinued.

On the Regent fit Own Make stuff (bummer it was discontinued), is the shoulder strong and padded like the typical Regent fit stuff?

The other stuff—which you correctly identified as fitting weird and small—had a decent soft shoulder, probably most similar to the Fitzgerald stuff. But the Regent fit's shoulder so strongly put me off that I just wrote all the Own Make off if it mentioned it.
post #7675 of 8284
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossrockss View Post


On the Regent fit Own Make stuff (bummer it was discontinued), is the shoulder strong and padded like the typical Regent fit stuff?

The other stuff—which you correctly identified as fitting weird and small—had a decent soft shoulder, probably most similar to the Fitzgerald stuff. But the Regent fit's shoulder so strongly put me off that I just wrote all the Own Make off if it mentioned it.

On my Regent Fit Own Make Blazer I would say the shoulder is soft, but maybe not as soft as the Natural Craftsmanship Collection (which has also been hit-or-miss for me - with one nice linen sport coat in my closet and one suit having been returned).  Of course, this is coming from someone that owns and likes 3 Regent fit 1818 made in USA suits; however, these are from the last two years and seem to have a softer shoulder than an older Regent Fit made in Italy I also have in my closet (the made in Italy suit reminds me almost of the shoulders on my old JAB suits).

I have noticed with BB I just really have to go and try stuff on - for example, I can go put on two different 38R Fitzgerald cut coats and they will fit completely different.  So I have just learned to never write off a line or fit until I see multiple and various examples.  

I know this is not much help in this case - but I can tell you I was able to grab my blazer when it was at half price, which may return in some future sale.

post #7676 of 8284
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathandTaxes View Post

On my Regent Fit Own Make Blazer I would say the shoulder is soft, but maybe not as soft as the Natural Craftsmanship Collection (which has also been hit-or-miss for me - with one nice linen sport coat in my closet and one suit having been returned).  Of course, this is coming from someone that owns and likes 3 Regent fit 1818 made in USA suits; however, these are from the last two years and seem to have a softer shoulder than an older Regent Fit made in Italy I also have in my closet (the made in Italy suit reminds me almost of the shoulders on my old JAB suits).


I have noticed with BB I just really have to go and try stuff on - for example, I can go put on two different 38R Fitzgerald cut coats and they will fit completely different.  So I have just learned to never write off a line or fit until I see multiple and various examples.  


I know this is not much help in this case - but I can tell you I was able to grab my blazer when it was at half price, which may return in some future sale.

I have noticed the country of origin tends to equate to these differences. Milano made in Italy fits me well and has a great, super soft shoulder, while Milano made in USA has too much wadding in the sleeve head and the front quarters are too closed. Sport coats from Thailand run shorter, so much so that I wear a regular instead of a short.
post #7677 of 8284
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4design View Post

I have noticed the country of origin tends to equate to these differences. Milano made in Italy fits me well and has a great, super soft shoulder, while Milano made in USA has too much wadding in the sleeve head and the front quarters are too closed. Sport coats from Thailand run shorter, so much so that I wear a regular instead of a short.

I wish everyone was aware of this concept. I get tired of giving measurements on ebay and then taking a return because 'I am a 42R and this suit is way smaller than that'. When someone says 'I am a 42R' they are at the stage that they don't even know what they don't know.
post #7678 of 8284
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossrockss View Post

Own Make seems pretty good. Fairly stiff, though. My brother has a tweed sportcoat from their first Own Make collection; it is boxy and stiff, though the boxy look is something trads appreciate. I say stiff in comparison only to the soft tailoring I prefer via Eidos or other Italian brands.

I've only owned the Black Fleece shirts, none of their pants, sportcoats or anything else. The OCBD's are great—better than BB's typical ones. And a bunch in staple colors are back in stock atm—probably ones that sat in some store and were transferred back to the main inventory. Just snagged a university stripe and light blue one actually. I would strongly suggest getting them if you can. $78 is worth the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathandTaxes View Post

The only things I own out of the BBBF collection are one pair of shoes (some stunning Crockett & Jones double monks), a wool bow tie, and a cotton bow tie.  The shoes are made in England (although the website simply listed them as "imported") and the ties I believe were made in the U.S.A.  All are high quality and I am always pleased to wear them (I even proposed wearing the wool tie).  I have tried some of their coats, but unfortunately the fit has been too unflattering to justify my purchase (I must fit somewhere between BB1 and BB2).

Own Make is another mixed bag for me.  


My favorite blazer comes from the Own Make collection, but it is so poorly represented on their website you would probably never know it existed: https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Regent-Fit-Own-Make-Sport-Coat/MM00431,default,pd.html.  Contrary to the picture, it is a classic patch pocket, 3 roll 2, soft, natural shouldered, hopsack medium-light navy blue blazer with unadorned buttons that fits so well and classically by way of its Regent fit that it feels like I am not even wearing a jacket at all.  I normally wear a 38R and that is what I wear in that blazer.


However, I have learned that if the Own Make items are not prefaced by "Regent Fit" that I should expect them to fit like my experiences with BBBF - too small and at the same time too large in all the wrong places (too small in the shoulders and arms and too large in the waist).  


Even with some poor experiences on fit, I have not ruled out the Own Make collection for suits and sport coats because I find the fabrics, patterns, and construction (I believe made by Southwick) to be very nice.


You may be asking about these collections for this reason, but both have been discontinued.
Gents thank you for your input & info I ended up picking black fleece pants & own make sport coat cannot be happier. Black fleece dress pants compete & in same level as Italian made pants but half the cost. Sport coat own make 3/2 role, fully canvassed import bang for buck. Will have to check out shirts.
post #7679 of 8284

Some goodie picked up on sale.
post #7680 of 8284
Details?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale?