or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Floor plan doesn't match condo = compensation?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Floor plan doesn't match condo = compensation? - Page 2

post #16 of 45
Yeah this is dumb.
post #17 of 45
Thread Starter 
???????? What are you guys talking about? The purchase price of a condominium is based, in large part, on square footage. Square footage, in turn, is determined in large measure by floor plans provided prior to sale. Where actual square footage is not commensurate with promised square footage, common sense dictates that liability is at issue. Promise not fulfilled. Now, contractual provisions in a Purchase and Sale Agreement as well as the existence of governing statutes may or may not affect the likelihood of success at trial - (one member, for example, has already pointed out a permissible 3% variance in his state) - but it is certainly worth looking into the matter. Hence my very general inquiry. If you were to purchase a property and learn than you had less frontage or square footage or whatever than was promised to you, you'd be curious and slightly pissed too. Idiots.
post #18 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman90 View Post
The building isn't registered. It's only at an occupancy stage right now. I suppose I'll have to contact my RE lawyer.
I love statements like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman90 View Post
???????? What are you guys talking about? The purchase price of a condominium is based, in large part, on square footage. Square footage, in turn, is determined in large measure by floor plans provided prior to sale. Where actual square footage is not commensurate with promised square footage, common sense dictates that liability is at issue. Promise not fulfilled. Now, contractual provisions in a Purchase and Sale Agreement as well as the existence of governing statutes may or may not affect the likelihood of success at trial - (one member, for example, has already pointed out a permissible 3% variance in his state) - but it is certainly worth looking into the matter. Hence my very general inquiry. If you were to purchase a property and learn than you had less frontage or square footage or whatever than was promised to you, you'd be curious and slightly pissed too. Idiots.
And these are even better. 'Cause yeah, the issue over a dinky condo is going to trial.
post #19 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
I love statements like this. And these are even better. 'Cause yeah, the issue over a dinky condo is going to trial.
The likelihood of success at trial is what ultimately determines the heft of your bargaining power during negotiation. Even if it the matter is "dinky", the other side will either hear you or not based on how effectively you can convince them that you would succeed if you took them to court. Remember that, if they were to lose, they'd be on the hook for damages as well as paying a large part of your costs. Much of the law is about settling. You clearly haven't had occasion to internalize this lesson. That's a good thing. Anyways...it's a small deal, yes, but you don't know the full context and I don't take well to being pushed around by anyone. Especially corporations that sup on my money.
post #20 of 45
It's 4sq feet, man.
post #21 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman90 View Post
???????? What are you guys talking about? The purchase price of a condominium is based, in large part, on square footage. Square footage, in turn, is determined in large measure by floor plans provided prior to sale. Where actual square footage is not commensurate with promised square footage, common sense dictates that liability is at issue. Promise not fulfilled. Now, contractual provisions in a Purchase and Sale Agreement as well as the existence of governing statutes may or may not affect the likelihood of success at trial - (one member, for example, has already pointed out a permissible 3% variance in his state) - but it is certainly worth looking into the matter. Hence my very general inquiry. If you were to purchase a property and learn than you had less frontage or square footage or whatever than was promised to you, you'd be curious and slightly pissed too. Idiots.
I didn't buy your condo. You don't seem to understand that the floor plan isn't to be relied upon. You are expected to pay attention to the space you're purchasing but as you've admitted...you didn't do that because you "weren't thinking". That is a "problem" you will have to deal with on your own. You saw the space you were buying and thought it was a good deal. Now you see on the floor plan something very slightly amiss, that you didn't even notice on walk-through, and now you're wondering whether or not you can be "compensated". You are the worst kind of customer there is.
post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman90 View Post
Remember that, if they were to lose, they'd be on the hook for damages as well as paying a large part of your costs.


That depends. Where are you located?
post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouttsClient View Post
I didn't buy your condo.


You don't seem to understand that the floor plan isn't to be relied upon. You are expected to pay attention to the space you're purchasing but as you've admitted...you didn't do that because you "weren't thinking". That is a "problem" you will have to deal with on your own.

You saw the space you were buying and thought it was a good deal. Now you see on the floor plan something very slightly amiss, that you didn't even notice on walk-through, and now you're wondering whether or not you can be "compensated". You are the worst kind of customer there is.


+1.
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman90 View Post
????????

What are you guys talking about?

The purchase price of a condominium is based, in large part, on square footage. Square footage, in turn, is determined in large measure by floor plans provided prior to sale. Where actual square footage is not commensurate with promised square footage, common sense dictates that liability is at issue. Promise not fulfilled.

Now, contractual provisions in a Purchase and Sale Agreement as well as the existence of governing statutes may or may not affect the likelihood of success at trial - (one member, for example, has already pointed out a permissible 3% variance in his state) - but it is certainly worth looking into the matter. Hence my very general inquiry.

If you were to purchase a property and learn than you had less frontage or square footage or whatever than was promised to you, you'd be curious and slightly pissed too.

Idiots.

You're so fucking stupid. If you were promised 9' ceilings and then saw a bulkhead would you react the same? That's all that is in the corner, a bulkhead from floor to ceiling hiding HVAC or plumbing. You sir, are the Idiot.
post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman90 View Post
The likelihood of success at trial is what ultimately determines the heft of your bargaining power during negotiation. Even if it the matter is "dinky", the other side will either hear you or not based on how effectively you can convince them that you would succeed if you took them to court. Remember that, if they were to lose, they'd be on the hook for damages as well as paying a large part of your costs.

Much of the law is about settling. You clearly haven't had occasion to internalize this lesson. That's a good thing.

Anyways...it's a small deal, yes, but you don't know the full context and I don't take well to being pushed around by anyone. Especially corporations that sup on my money.

I know enough of the context: you saw the property. This was not a hidden feature, something only an expert could discern, etc. You screwed up, and not only do you not seem to realize that, you are here making stupid comments like, "I will have to contact my RE lawyer." The thought you have an RE lawyer is ludicrous. If you had said, "I'll have to contact an RE lawyer" your level of pompousness and idiocy would have been much lower.

To the bolded: lulz. Come talk to me after you have gone through numerous arbitrations with millions on the table.
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman90 View Post
????????

What are you guys talking about?

The purchase price of a condominium is based, in large part, on square footage. Square footage, in turn, is determined in large measure by floor plans provided prior to sale. Where actual square footage is not commensurate with promised square footage, common sense dictates that liability is at issue. Promise not fulfilled.

Now, contractual provisions in a Purchase and Sale Agreement as well as the existence of governing statutes may or may not affect the likelihood of success at trial - (one member, for example, has already pointed out a permissible 3% variance in his state) - but it is certainly worth looking into the matter. Hence my very general inquiry.

If you were to purchase a property and learn than you had less frontage or square footage or whatever than was promised to you, you'd be curious and slightly pissed too.

Idiots.

I think you gave up any arguments you might've had when you walked through the place, visually inspected it, and signed the closing documents. And price is determined by what someone is willing to pay; square footage is a really vacuous concept to most people buying real estate, ime.
post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota rube View Post
I think you gave up any arguments you might've had when you walked through the place, visually inspected it, and signed the closing documents. And price is determined by what someone is willing to pay; square footage is a really vacuous concept to most people buying real estate, ime.

I think we all knew he was sunk when he appealed to "common sense." That usually trumps any contract language, doesn't it?
post #28 of 45
I had my real estate lawyer read my fucking contract before I signed it.
post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
I had my real estate lawyer read my fucking contract before I signed it.

This and win.
post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
I had my real estate lawyer read my fucking contract before I signed it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Floor plan doesn't match condo = compensation?