or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Is a 100% Wool Suit a bad idea??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is a 100% Wool Suit a bad idea??

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
I found a suit I like, but it is 100% wool. I was told that the only wool to get is Worsted Wool but that if it says just 'wool' then it will likely be itchy. is this true? i thought the jacket has a lining? are they talking about the pants?

can anyone give advice about buying or not buying a suit that says 100% wool?

the sooner answer the better please -- thanks!!!
post #2 of 36
post #3 of 36
Whoever told you that is a keeper.
post #4 of 36



(BTW, Hitler, the Gestapo, and the Schutzstaffel all wore 100% wool suits. That's all you need to know.)
post #5 of 36
Yes, they are a very bad idea. But consider the source.
post #6 of 36
Go rayon or go home.
post #7 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by softy View Post

Go rayon or go home.

Go RECYCLED POLYESTER or go home.
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitMyself View Post



(BTW, Hitler, the Gestapo, and the Schutzstaffel all wore 100% wool suits. That's all you need to know.)

Stalin too!
post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by howbah View Post

Stalin too!

. . . and Mussolini and Saddam Hussein and Pol Pot and Gadhafi and bin Laden and . . .
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHainey View Post
I was told that the only wool to get is Worsted Wool but that if it says just 'wool' then it will likely be itchy. is this true?

Your friend was right. What happens with worsted wool is that all the micro-brambles that are in wool are all removed by a machine called, not surprisingly, a debrambler. That means you can wear it without being itchy.

Now a regular wool suit hasn't gone through the debrambler process so it will be itchy.

Hence the general price differential between worsted wool and regular wool suits. Dembrambling takes time because you can't vigorously pass the material through the machine.
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgekko View Post
Your friend was right. What happens with worsted wool is that all the micro-brambles that are in wool are all removed by a machine called, not surprisingly, a debrambler. That means you can wear it without being itchy.

Now a regular wool suit hasn't gone through the debrambler process so it will be itchy.

Hence the general price differential between worsted wool and regular wool suits. Dembrambling takes time because you can't vigorously pass the material through the machine.

Killjoy.

/Thread
post #12 of 36
Polyester makes you less of a man.. decreased sperm count and motility
post #13 of 36
Btw, true story, I walked into an establishment I frequent and the owner was drinking several liter bottles of Mountain Dew gluttonously. I inquired why and he politely informed me that he would be having sex that night, so he needed this as a contraceptive aid.
post #14 of 36
The suit would be very uncomfortable. Very stiff, itchy and worst of all, you would get splinters.

....ooops, nevermind, I thought you said wood.
post #15 of 36
Fashionable folks know that a 100% polyester suit is the best. The feel, the look, and the style is impeccable.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Is a 100% Wool Suit a bad idea??