or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Asian American Overachievers when test taking endsing ends.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Asian American Overachievers when test taking endsing ends. - Page 8

post #106 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DidYouknow View Post
Spelling isnt a concern because this isnt for any of my classes.

This is such an Asian thing to say.
post #107 of 158
I should of proofread that to ahaha, i meant movie, not music
post #108 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale View Post
This is such an Asian thing to say.

dah hell are you talking about? Do you live in wyoming? I focus on the core of what im speaking on. If i make a spelling error here or there thats because i dont give a **** enough to spell check. Is not giving a **** asian? if your white or black doesnt matter. you guys need to chill with the race card and act as if all asians are going to be passive about it.
post #109 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by add911_11 View Post
I am waiting for a Hollywood love fiction to film an Asian male's love story with a foreigner, that is when people's eye is going to open. And the stereotyping is going to cease.

Not a Hollywood movie, but there is a French one, "The Lover". Of course, we all know that that those French people are all perverts.
post #110 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by add911_11 View Post
To DidYouKnow and alpha0888,

I do agree spelling and grammar is not the primarily issue of the topic, but it is always helpful to proof-read your comment. Everything inevitably make spelling or typing mistake but to correct it reflects self respect.

I do agree particular American and British has portrait the asian race as villains or people who lack self confidence. Although there are graduate improvements, such as 'Green Hornet' which features Jay Chow, one of the most famous pop star known to the far east, as a hidden hero, albeit Asian characters in western movies have the tendency of being the violent or at least the person who exercise force. Surely with the rise of China's economy the image of Chinese or indeed the image of Asian will improve given time

I am waiting for a Hollywood love fiction to film an Asian male's love story with a foreigner, that is when people's eye is going to open. And the stereotyping is going to cease

I am a fellow Chinese man lives in UK and that is what I think, sorry if there are any grammar mistake

If green hornets jay chow is the best of what hollywood can present. Imagine my frustration.
I disagree, chinas economy is a whole other topic, on how i think it will implode. All i'll say about it is that i think its completely irrelevant to the image of the average asian.
As far as love storys go... I dont think hollywood would do a good job in doing asian people justice in any storyline. I've accepted the reality of the business. I was just putting my thoughts out to the style forum public.
post #111 of 158
yeah, this article sums up pretty well all the frustration i've had with my upbringing. i'm a sophomore in college now and i'm still shedding some of my old wallflower habits. i've spent a considerable amount of effort in making sure that my little brother grows up as 'normal' as he possibly can. the green hornet actually made me pretty angry. shitty generic action movie aside: the movie may have a prominent asian dude in a starring role, but in the end, it's still seth rogen who still takes all the credit for everything in the movie. jay chou's character is still the asian sidekick who lets someone else take credit for what is essentially his work
post #112 of 158
You're an idiot. It's established that some Asians possess all the attributes that these white CEOs have (intelligence, hardwork, charisma, leadership skills, yada yada), which in general Asians (supposedly) lack. The point here is that when all the variables are equal, whites get picked. So Race has a lot to do with it. So too is gender. Why do you think it's much easier for Asian females to fill some roles in a white dominated society? Why do you think they only show Asian females when they want a little bit of this yellow diversity? In America, Asian representation is through the Asian woman, not the man. Look at Disney, there's one show with a Korean teen as a star. Then you have Mulan before that. There's not going to be a Disney movie about the great sea-faring General Zhengh He, even though he fits Disney agenda's for a character that promotes diversity (Muslim, eunuch, Chinese, military, adventurous, etc.). Even that E-harmony bullshit advertisement, you'll see an Asian woman/white man couple. So yes, it's completely relevant to the business world, as art tends to mirror social realities. On the other hand, black men are everywhere. It's only very recently that you see black guys play surgeon chiefs and judges. It's not coincidental that these roles happened only shortly after the election of Barack Obama. My belief is that it'll all change when Asians start to have big corporations under their own control. It already happens in Africa, Latin America, and various places around the world. It's a matter of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaO888 View Post
I guess I'll have to spell it out for you since you're too dense to sit down and think it through yourself. You cannot compare acting in the movie industry to becoming a CEO in the workforce because of several reasons. Assuming a perfect workplace, becoming a CEO is based on merit including hard work, intelligence, leadership skills and spelling. Even though the workplace isn't perfect, everyone proclaims that hard work will get you whatever you want so it's an ideal that we all uphold. When you look at Hollywood, the best actor does NOT always get the leading role. So much depends on what the actor looks like, whether he/she fits the role in the movie, whether the audience will like the actor, and whether the producer/director wants to hire the actor in the first place; this creates a reward system that is superficially biased so that there isn't a level playing ground for everyone. That is why I say it is based on social stigmas. Understand? Now go make sure you finish your homework before Monday.
post #113 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat View Post
You're an idiot. It's established that some Asians possess all the attributes that these white CEOs have (intelligence, hardwork, charisma, leadership skills, yada yada), which in general Asians (supposedly) lack. The point here is that when all the variables are equal, whites get picked. So Race has a lot to do with it. So too is gender. Why do you think it's much easier for Asian females to fill some roles in a white dominated society? Why do you think they only show Asian females when they want a little bit of this yellow diversity? In America, Asian representation is through the Asian woman, not the man. Look at Disney, there's one show with a Korean teen as a star. Then you have Mulan before that. There's not going to be a Disney movie about the great sea-faring General Zhengh He, even though he fits Disney agenda's for a character that promotes diversity (Muslim, eunuch, Chinese, military, adventurous, etc.). Even that E-harmony bullshit advertisement, you'll see an Asian woman/white man couple. So yes, it's completely relevant to the business world, as art tends to mirror social realities. On the other hand, black men are everywhere. It's only very recently that you see black guys play surgeon chiefs and judges. It's not coincidental that these roles happened only shortly after the election of Barack Obama. My belief is that it'll all change when Asians start to have big corporations under their own control. It already happens in Africa, Latin America, and various places around the world. It's a matter of time.

+1
post #114 of 158
Since were going to put our honest oppinions out there. Heres another example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xwj0IdmmCo why the fuck is there a chinese couple speaking chinese while everyone is speaking english? Tell me.
post #115 of 158
Hollywood isn't avoiding casting Asian leading men because of some stereotype about the culture, they're not casting them because there's not a large enough audience for them to sell a movie.

I work with a lot of young asian men and women at my job and the younger one's are just as motivated to become leaders as anyone else in the office.
post #116 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
Hollywood isn't avoiding casting Asian leading men because of some stereotype about the culture, they're not casting them because there's not a large enough audience for them to sell a movie.

I work with a lot of young asian men and women at my job and the younger one's are just as motivated to become leaders as anyone else in the office.

there also aren't very many asian-americans interested in hollywood this generation, what with their 'tiger childhood' and whatnot.
post #117 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Y View Post
Check out Silicon Valley: many, many Asian managers, C-level execs, and entrepreneurs.

--Andre

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblegrain View Post
entrepreneurs and managers yes, C level no


I agree with pebblegrain.

Somewhat related...I was recently looking at the Annual Forbes Midas List (Top 100 Venture Capitalists). Despite the VERY VERY large # of Asians in the industry, barely any representation in the list:

http://www.forbes.com/lists/midas/20...lete-list.html
post #118 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post
I think as a whole, one of the major disadvantages asians have is that on average, they tend to be less attractive than the average caucasian, hispanic, black person, or whatnot. There's just something about asian features that simply isn't appealing. And I'm Korean.

I may just have a biased lens, but if you were to have the 0-10 hotness scale as the x-axis on a graph and the y-axis as proportion of population, and you applied the normal bell-curve, the midpoint of the curve where the vast majority of the people are, would not be at 5. It would be more like 3.5 or 4.

The average asian girl has small tits, no ass, and is just not shapely. The average asian dude is short, scrawny, and ugly. I would say that asian guys get as much loving from white girls as black girls get from white guys. To me, I'm just not attracted to the average black girl. They just aren't appealing for some reason. They look foreign and it makes me scared to approach them or even think about them in a sexual light.

Even as an asian myself, I find asians to look very foreign and alien. And that makes you unapproachable. I also find a lot of asian kids to be very socially awkward. I am too myself.

Asians are also more likely to be found in premed, finance, math, computer science, or engineering classes. And asians are more likely to have better grades. What do these concentrations all have in common? They tend to lead to higher-paying jobs.

What does this all boil down to? Resentment and a lack of respect for the asian. People resent them because they are unapproachable, self-segregating, and over achievers. People don't take them as seriously because they tend to be uglier, nerdier, weirder, and more awkward.

I am by no means trolling. I'm curious to see what non-asians think about asians and would love to field some questions you have. I will try to answer them.


I'm not trying to start beef here but... Most asian guys i have seen are actually mid height if not tall, and are good looking. But thats because i've only really chilled with korean, white and black. From observation. I'll agree asian women are not as busty as white or black, but korean women have the face. This is all backed up by what other people think, its not bios cause im korean. Korean men and women are generally better looking then other asians no offense. Thats why i don't like asians getting mixed together to be frank.
post #119 of 158
are the CEOs of mitsuibishi, toyota, hyundai, Canon, Sony, Honda white people??
post #120 of 158
Kia, and Lg as well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Asian American Overachievers when test taking endsing ends.