or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Asian American Overachievers when test taking endsing ends.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Asian American Overachievers when test taking endsing ends.

post #1 of 158
Thread Starter 
http://nymag.com/news/features/asian-americans-2011-5/

Hi guys, I just wanted to see you thoughts on this article, which argues that culture plays a part in why asians are not at the top of the corporate world.

Long read but quite worth it, i think.
post #2 of 158
i read this the other day. seeing as how i'm asian american... i can relate to this to a certain extent. i hope a bamboo ceiling doesn't exist..
post #3 of 158
"And yet the numbers tell a different story. According to a recent study, Asian-­Americans represent roughly 5 percent of the population but only 0.3 percent of corporate officers, less than 1 percent of corporate board members, and around 2 percent of college presidents. There are nine Asian-American CEOs in the Fortune 500. " If 0.3% of corporate officers, but 1% of corporate board members... I also wonder how big a role pipeline plays. Sure, in the past 10 years, Asian-Americans have dominated higher education, but was that also the case 30-40 years ago? I also get a feeling that a lot of the high-achieving asians bred by their tiger mothers tend to go into law/med/finance, or "follow their hearts", neither of which are really the fast track for F500 C-suite positions.
post #4 of 158
I think as a whole, one of the major disadvantages asians have is that on average, they tend to be less attractive than the average caucasian, hispanic, black person, or whatnot. There's just something about asian features that simply isn't appealing. And I'm Korean. I may just have a biased lens, but if you were to have the 0-10 hotness scale as the x-axis on a graph and the y-axis as proportion of population, and you applied the normal bell-curve, the midpoint of the curve where the vast majority of the people are, would not be at 5. It would be more like 3.5 or 4. The average asian girl has small tits, no ass, and is just not shapely. The average asian dude is short, scrawny, and ugly. I would say that asian guys get as much loving from white girls as black girls get from white guys. To me, I'm just not attracted to the average black girl. They just aren't appealing for some reason. They look foreign and it makes me scared to approach them or even think about them in a sexual light. Even as an asian myself, I find asians to look very foreign and alien. And that makes you unapproachable. I also find a lot of asian kids to be very socially awkward. I am too myself. Asians are also more likely to be found in premed, finance, math, computer science, or engineering classes. And asians are more likely to have better grades. What do these concentrations all have in common? They tend to lead to higher-paying jobs. What does this all boil down to? Resentment and a lack of respect for the asian. People resent them because they are unapproachable, self-segregating, and over achievers. People don't take them as seriously because they tend to be uglier, nerdier, weirder, and more awkward. I am by no means trolling. I'm curious to see what non-asians think about asians and would love to field some questions you have. I will try to answer them.
post #5 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post
I think as a whole, one of the major disadvantages asians have is that on average, they tend to be less attractive than the average caucasian, hispanic, black person, or whatnot. There's just something about asian features that simply isn't appealing. And I'm Korean. I may just have a biased lens, but if you were to have the 0-10 hotness scale as the x-axis on a graph and the y-axis as proportion of population, and you applied the normal bell-curve, the midpoint of the curve where the vast majority of the people are, would not be at 5. It would be more like 3.5 or 4. The average asian girl has small tits, no ass, and is just not shapely. The average asian dude is short, scrawny, and ugly. I would say that asian guys get as much loving from white girls as black girls get from white guys. To me, I'm just not attracted to the average black girl. They just aren't appealing for some reason. They look foreign and it makes me scared to approach them or even think about them in a sexual light. Even as an asian myself, I find asians to look very foreign and alien. And that makes you unapproachable. I also find a lot of asian kids to be very socially awkward. I am too myself. Asians are also more likely to be found in premed, finance, math, computer science, or engineering classes. And asians are more likely to have better grades. What do these concentrations all have in common? They tend to lead to higher-paying jobs. What does this all boil down to? Resentment and a lack of respect for the asian. People resent them because they are unapproachable, self-segregating, and over achievers. People don't take them as seriously because they tend to be uglier, nerdier, weirder, and more awkward. I am by no means trolling. I'm curious to see what non-asians think about asians and would love to field some questions you have. I will try to answer them.
You left out small penis.
post #6 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post
You left out small penis.

That's also true, for the most part. Mine isn't tiny. It's not huge. It's smack-dab-in-the-middle average.

I haven't really seen asian penises since I'm not gay, but one gay kid i know said that the asian kids he hooks up with tend to have smaller penises than the non-asian kids. Take that as what you will, since he's only one person.

So to all the other asian dudes out there: suck it up, the stereotype is true. Not all asian dudes have tiny penises, but on average, they are smaller.
post #7 of 158
This applies to all foreigners who focused way too much on test taking, and not enough on developing themselves into holistic people with dreams, ambitions, and goals.

It is not strictly Asian. They're just the biggest minority that ascribes to this notion. Hell, there are even retarded white people who act like Asians and get to the same place as the rest of the Asians who do this.
post #8 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post
That's also true, for the most part. Mine isn't tiny. It's not huge. It's smack-dab-in-the-middle average.

I haven't really seen asian penises since I'm not gay, but one gay kid i know said that the asian kids he hooks up with tend to have smaller penises than the non-asian kids. Take that as what you will, since he's only one person.

So to all the other asian dudes out there: suck it up, the stereotype is true. Not all asian dudes have tiny penises, but on average, they are smaller.

Hmmm... I suspect that you say "kid I know" when you mean "me."
post #9 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
Hmmm... I suspect that you say "kid I know" when you mean "me."

lol no.

he's a co-worker at the office i work at. he is very open about his life in general, and his sex life, so I end up having to listen to him talk a lot.
post #10 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post
lol no.

he's a co-worker at the office i work at. he is very open about his life in general, and his sex life, so I end up having to listen to him talk a lot.

Uh huh.
post #11 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent View Post
Uh huh.

ok you caught me. i am a gaysian and i am sorely disappointed by the tiny penises of my fellow gaysian brethren.

what gave it away?
post #12 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post
That's also true, for the most part. Mine isn't tiny. It's not huge. It's smack-dab-in-the-middle average.

I haven't really seen asian penises since I'm not gay, but one gay kid i know said that the asian kids he hooks up with tend to have smaller penises than the non-asian kids. Take that as what you will, since he's only one person.

So to all the other asian dudes out there: suck it up, the stereotype is true. Not all asian dudes have tiny penises, but on average, they are smaller.

So basically you're saying Asians have small penises.
post #13 of 158
They do. My friend's brother is gay and has all kinds of horror stories of hope and anticipation turned disappointment at something resembling the girth of a straw. :/
post #14 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmade View Post
So basically you're saying Asians have small penises.

I guess, on average. I mean, all stereotypes are based on at least some shred of fact, right?

I read this BBC article a long time ago, saying how there is an international standard for condom sizes, and in India, they had to decrease the size of condoms there because they were too big for Indian men. Something along those lines. I always cite that article when my Indian friends try to make fun of me and say I have a small penis -- as if it wouldn't apply to them either, lol.
post #15 of 158
I think Asians are not at the top of the corporate ladder because the abilities they posess limit them to positions where they are most needed. They are highly analytical people, good at facts and computing, however in my experience here at my company, don't posess many of the social qualities of a leader. They tend to get into positions where they are really good at analysis and managers don't promote them because they don't want to lose that asset. Being an executive takes a lot of personality and a person who knows how to work corporate politics. I'm not saying Asians are not capable, but I can easily name 20 Asians in my company that fall into the category that I have stated.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Asian American Overachievers when test taking endsing ends.