or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things your dumb friends post on facebook
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things your dumb friends post on facebook - Page 115

post #1711 of 5418
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbar View Post

You grammar nazi...

I'm not "that guy" at all IRL, although of course I correct my students' English when they make mistakes in their papers and exams. In fact, I am thankful for usage errors because so many of them are funny!
post #1712 of 5418
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

I'm not "that guy" at all IRL, although of course I correct my students' English when they make mistakes in their papers and exams. In fact, I am thankful for usage errors because so many of them are funny!

Do you dare correct an African American's English?
post #1713 of 5418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7 View Post

Do you dare correct an African American's English?

Yes, I'll correct anyone's English. Irregardless.
post #1714 of 5418
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

Yes, I'll correct anyone's English. Irregardless.

Does it get to you when black kids say the word "ask"?
post #1715 of 5418
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

75
442

Did you correct his English? nest.gif

lol, actually a girl posted that. plain.gif BUT no I did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

http://tinyurl.com/6wns62d

laugh.gif

this one is also horrible

196514_10150148523711987_118734426986_6936744_5339647_n.jpg

plain.gif I had people around when I scrolled down plain.gif 
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

^^ "Don't get the wrong impression: I am an even worse parent than you were originally thinking."

BTW, the kid's strategy worked well for me too when I was a youngster. Just gay it up from time to time and you get whatever you want in life.

seriously!?!?! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

"This is the ones" is what caught my eye. Mainly, though, I just wanted to kid CalTex because he had expressed annoyance with facebook posts that correct others' grammar.

lol. I was referring to the correction of the improper use of there, their, were, we're, and the like. The only reason I said anything is because I don't think it's that hard to learn how to use the terms correctly, and I feel that the people who are correcting others all the time on facebook have the grammer problems of their own. Not everyone has the skills of L'incandescent. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbar View Post

You grammar nazi...

I'm not "that guy" at all IRL, although of course I correct my students' English when they make mistakes in their papers and exams. In fact, I am thankful for usage errors because so many of them are funny!

I am happy to hear that! Again, I don't have a problem with correcting someone's grammer, but I can't stand when people do it in public with the intention of belittling the other person.

Since I realized the grammer powers of L'Incandescent I try to reread what I post on teh forvm. shog[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

I'm not "that guy" at all IRL, although of course I correct my students' English when they make mistakes in their papers and exams. In fact, I am thankful for usage errors because so many of them are funny!

Do you dare correct an African American's English?

does it matter?
Edited by CalTex - 6/15/12 at 12:09pm
post #1716 of 5418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7 View Post

Does it get to you when black kids say the word "ask"?

My serious answer is that if I let myself be bothered by things like that, I'd get burned out quickly. It's a cliche, but it really is true: in order to be an effective educator, I have to meet the students where they are. If I always expect them to be something they're not, I will become embittered about my job. I know lots of professors who are very cynical and even angry about their students, and the result is that they hate their jobs. (Although truth be told, many of those people are only happy when they have the opportunity to feel superior to others; students with substandard abilities are a great boon to them in that regard.) I do grumble sometimes, but usually what I'm upset about is how the system failed these kids before they got to my classroom.
post #1717 of 5418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7 View Post

Does it get to you when black kids say the word "ask"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

My serious answer is that if I let myself be bothered by things like that, I'd get burned out quickly. It's a cliche, but it really is true: in order to be an effective educator, I have to meet the students where they are. If I always expect them to be something they're not, I will become embittered about my job. I know lots of professors who are very cynical and even angry about their students, and the result is that they hate their jobs. (Although truth be told, many of those people are only happy when they have the opportunity to feel superior to others; students with substandard abilities are a great boon to them in that regard.) I do grumble sometimes, but usually what I'm upset about is how the system failed these kids before they got to my classroom.

David Foster Wallace had an interesting take on getting black kids to use SWE - he had a standard talk that he would give that put it like this: learn the 'white' dialect or don't be taken seriously.
post #1718 of 5418
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post


Since I realized the grammer powers of L'Incandescent I try to reread what I post on teh forvm. shog[1].gif

Two serious posts in a row. We all have strengths and weaknesses. I try not to be too judgmental about others' weaknesses because I'm acutely aware of my own. There are some people on this very forum who are very, very successful at what they do, but their English is less than ideal. My English is good because I write for a living, but I also struggle with skills that others find easy. Five-tool players in baseball are rare; their real-life equivalent, whatever that is, is even rarer.
post #1719 of 5418
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

My serious answer is that if I let myself be bothered by things like that, I'd get burned out quickly. It's a cliche, but it really is true: in order to be an effective educator, I have to meet the students where they are. If I always expect them to be something they're not, I will become embittered about my job. I know lots of professors who are very cynical and even angry about their students, and the result is that they hate their jobs. (Although truth be told, many of those people are only happy when they have the opportunity to feel superior to others; students with substandard abilities are a great boon to them in that regard.) I do grumble sometimes, but usually what I'm upset about is how the system failed these kids before they got to my classroom.

In your experience, which minority speaks the worst English? Best? Oh, and who has the funniest accent? I know the last one is more personal preference but I am still curious.
post #1720 of 5418
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post


Since I realized the grammer powers of L'Incandescent I try to reread what I post on teh forvm. shog[1].gif

Two serious posts in a row.

...wait..are you implying something...patch[1].gif
post #1721 of 5418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

My serious answer is that if I let myself be bothered by things like that, I'd get burned out quickly. It's a cliche, but it really is true: in order to be an effective educator, I have to meet the students where they are. If I always expect them to be something they're not, I will become embittered about my job. I know lots of professors who are very cynical and even angry about their students, and the result is that they hate their jobs. (Although truth be told, many of those people are only happy when they have the opportunity to feel superior to others; students with substandard abilities are a great boon to them in that regard.) I do grumble sometimes, but usually what I'm upset about is how the system failed these kids before they got to my classroom.

In your experience, which minority speaks the worst English? Best? Oh, and who has the funniest accent? I know the last one is more personal preference but I am still curious.

plain.gif

I think the child's social class plays a bigger role, in my opinion their ethnicity is not a huge factor.
post #1722 of 5418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

David Foster Wallace had an interesting take on getting black kids to use SWE - he had a standard talk that he would give that put it like this: learn the 'white' dialect or don't be taken seriously.

I had read that. Although I teach a lot of black students, I have not encountered the kind of problems that he discussed. I'm thankful for that, because it's a very difficult conversation to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7 View Post

In your experience, which minority speaks the worst English? Best? Oh, and who has the funniest accent? I know the last one is more personal preference but I am still curious.

What I find fascinating about the usage patterns of different racial or ethnic groups is that some nonstandard usages are well tolerated while others are stigmatized. When a white student says "like" after every third word, we recognize it as a problem, but we don't treat it as rendering her worthy of contempt. When the black student says "aks," we treat it as a symptom of incorrigible stupidity. (I'm using "we" in a very loose sense here.)
post #1723 of 5418
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

I'm thankful for that, because it's a very difficult conversation to have.

Pun intended? Lol.

In all seriousness, I appreciate you giving us some insight on the topic. I wish you were more offensive towards minorities though.
post #1724 of 5418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7 View Post

I wish you were more offensive towards minorities though.

Man, do not even get me started on the Walloons! They're a minority, right?

(j/k. I bear no ill will toward the Walloons.)
post #1725 of 5418
360

Seriously?

Yeah, wipe away your kids that made you cry when being born why don't you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things your dumb friends post on facebook