• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Review: Custom leather briefcase from Narragansett Leathers in Maine, US.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I have had a number of briefcases over the last year or two – a sort of trial and error to see what I like and don’t like about each kind of style, sometimes mixed in with a bit of “leather artisantry wannabe” to explore how to restore/rejuvenate older cases. In my never ending search for the perfect case I happened upon a website of a US-based artisan (in Maine) who made leather bags, briefcases, belts, and other such leather items. I contacted the Alan McKinnon of Narragansett Leathers (http://www.narragansettleathers.com/ e-mail: [email protected]), to see what he can do for me – basically, to see if I can customize a briefcase and if so, how much customization room I had. Alan and I exchanged many e-mails in total from start to finish, with Alan explaining what he could and could not offer in terms of style, finish and cost. Every e-mail was answered within, at most, 48 hours with a detailed, thoughtful reply. He sent me photos of completed cases so that I can see some of what was possible, and explained why he would choose one styling or structural detail over another. His 40+ years of experience put me at ease in that the level of quality that I was expecting would be met with superlative expertise. For me, hand-made, well made and “not horribly expensive” were the top 3 category check boxes that I wanted to fill – and I think Alan accomplished that wonderfully. Do note that Alan hand cuts and assembles each briefcase – a one man operation. I told Alan that I wanted the following features, and he was able to accommodate them all: •Chestnut color (basically a slightly darker/richer British Tan) •17"x13"x4" dimensions (exterior) •2 interior compartments - 3" (closest to front) and 1" (closest to back) •Two pen holders and one miscellaenous sized holder on the middle panel, placed close together in the middle of the panel •Two strap/buckle closures in natural finish, solid brass color •Rounded flap edge •Back 'quick access' pocket covering entire back of the bag As you can see, you have a choice of leather color, dimensions, compartment number and size, interior adornments, flap style, closing style, buckle style, and exterior finishing. This is where my imagination took me, so I am not sure if there is room for more personalization outside of the categories I’ve listed. The type of leather (quality, tanning process) is very important to me. I love leather, and I want it to look good, age nicely, and be sturdy for a long time. Alan uses the Wickett & Craig tannery out of Curwensville, PA (http://www.wickett-craig.com/). His choice for his briefcases is the English Bridle vegetable tanned leather. It is 6-7oz in weight, which is perfect for this application. The leather comes with a finished backside, so Alan does not line his bags. I was hesitant about this, but now that I have the bag I rather like that it’s not lined. The leather as described on the Wickett and Craig site: “Used in more ways than we can count, drum dyed and hot stuffed, English bridle needs no finishing. After drum dying we impregnate the leather with our own formula of waxes and oils to create durable yet flexible leather. We then finish the grain and flesh with our rich beautiful aniline dye to show off the natural texture. Last, we seal the color in and then finish it with a wax coat to give it a look like none other! Check out our “color” and “pricing” tabs for more information.” Alan’s construction and artisanship, IMO, is top notch. The bag is very well made, with nice attention to detail and excellent stitching, leather thickness. It's one of those "you know it's great just by looking at it" bags. The stitching is by machine at about 10 SPI. Everything is tight and even, with no loose threads/skewed edges or anything of the sort. The handle is thick yet comfortable, and the interior pockets are exactly as I wanted them. OK, enough writing. Here are some photos that Alan sent to me while he was making the bag. I asked for these specifically so that I can see how it’s made, and Alan gratefully accepted to do so.
212u68i.jpg
73o303.jpg
2d82udc.jpg
nex2dl.jpg
mt1l3c.jpg
And here are some of my photos that I took today. It took about one month from order to delivery.
30v2c5l.jpg
1r3doz.jpg
n3osq0.jpg
34qtmk5.jpg
2954z03.jpg
2mnlpib.jpg
Overall, I am extremely happy with how my first custom bag turned out!​

Guero

Reaction score
Looks really nice, congratulations.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have one of their belts. Quality leather. Nice business.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Holy ****. Thats a great bag. You put in every detail except the most important one though....
smile.gif

Thanks man. I don't want to mention the price, but he has prices listed on his website. Mine was a bit more than his list due to the customization aspect and that I picked the larger of the two case sizes that he worked from.

Originally Posted by Guero
Looks really nice, congratulations.

Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I have one of their belts. Quality leather. Nice business.

Thanks guys.

crider8883

Reaction score
I have a couple belts from these guys. Can't beat the quality - especially for the price you would pay for a mediocre belt at Marshalls.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
niiiice.
smile.gif
smile.gif
Originally Posted by crider8883
I have a couple belts from these guys. Can't beat the quality - especially for the price you would pay for a mediocre belt at Marshalls.
I agree. And, to be clear - it's just one guy and his wife.
smile.gif

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's amazing!

Does anyone know how this compares to Customhide?

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really nice bag moo.

*obligatory deerskin reference*
biggrin.gif

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a fantastic briefcase for what I am sure was a reasonable price (judging from his published pricing schedule).

Now I know where to look when I'm ready to make the plunge.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful case, Mr. Moo.

Do you happen to have among your previous purchases anything by Henry Tomkins? If so, I would be interested to hear how they compare. Henry seems to follow a similar model to Narragansett and offers similar pricing. (He made a case for me last year and I've been very pleased with it.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads