or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › 21st century women can be difficult
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

21st century women can be difficult - Page 18

post #256 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophe View Post
There was that small claim, some pages back, that feminists took the sexes to be identical.

Your second paragraph indicates your ignorance of contemporary feminist thought.

Contemporary feminists think?
post #257 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGrotius View Post
A quick update in the most active thread in the general forum...I brought up a number of things with my wife, some of them inspired by you guys:

Q: Have you thought about PPD?
A: Is this your way of making me feel bad?

Q: How do you think women used to do it when they had five kids?
A: I couldn't do it! Are you nuts?

Q: What do you think about working again?
A: Why? Why? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

I'm more interested in your replies after her answer. did you just let it go?
post #258 of 278
If she's a stay at home mom, then the home is her job. If she gets a job, you ought to split the work again. Can't have the best of all worlds.
post #259 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
Contemporary feminists think?

why yes, unlike you before this post.
post #260 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGrotius View Post
A nanny is ridiculously cheap - this is only 10 hours a week, so like $100 a week, literally. That's nothing compared to daycare that many pay.


Why not go the whole hog then? Get a nanny for the other days, hire a prostitute once a week and you have effectively got yourself a decent wife.
post #261 of 278
OP, what is the nature of your work and what does your wife do to merit having a nanny.
post #262 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahmontana View Post
yeah, feminists need a man like you to tell them how to think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahmontana View Post
you don't know what you are talking about.
Nice. Care to support your position rather than just making conclusory statements?
post #263 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophe View Post
There was that small claim, some pages back, that feminists took the sexes to be identical. Your second paragraph indicates your ignorance of contemporary feminist thought.
Well, hannamontana and the APA sure think so. Care to enlighten me as to "contemporary feminist thought"? Last time I looked into it, admittedly some years ago, the canard was that aside from the undisguisable primary characteristics, men and women were cognatively identical and sexual differentiation was a purely social construct to "support the Patriarchy" or some such.
post #264 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereis View Post
what does your wife do to merit having a nanny.

Does the "modern woman" have to do anything to "merit" having anything? My experience has been that nowadays women just need to wake up in the morning to be entitled (some even have a problem doing that)!
post #265 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtie View Post
Nice. Care to support your position rather than just making conclusory statements?

dude, you are the one who must support your position. you claim that the APA article is invalid due to political influence. prove it. or, better yet, why not read the actual meta analysis and the 40+ studies the data was generated from? if you can form a valid criticism of these refereed articles, then you are in an actual position to enter debate.
post #266 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtie View Post
Well, hannamontana and the APA sure think so. Care to enlighten me as to "contemporary feminist thought"? Last time I looked into it, admittedly some years ago, the canard was that aside from the undisguisable primary characteristics, men and women were cognatively identical and sexual differentiation was a purely social construct to "support the Patriarchy" or some such.

yeah. stupid psychologists. good thing you know so much more than they do.
post #267 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarim View Post
Remember the adage: "A woman marries a man hoping that he will change and he doesn't. A man marries a woman hoping that she won't change and she does".
I like Oscar Wilde's version the best. "A woman marries a man hoping he will change. A man marries a woman thinking she won't. Both are disappointed." SirGrotious, So now you have a all the child care, cooking, etc.. being taken care of by other people. Have guys discussed when she will "get over" this little phase and start taking over her motherly duties? What are her plans?
post #268 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahmontana View Post
dude, you are the one who must support your position. you claim that the APA article is invalid due to political influence. prove it. or, better yet, why not read the actual meta analysis and the 40+ studies the data was generated from? if you can form a valid criticism of these refereed articles, then you are in an actual position to enter debate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahmontana View Post
yeah. stupid psychologists. good thing you know so much more than they do.
Neither of these posts are convincing. Nice snark on the second, must be taking lessons from Fuuma. Sorry a website "article" with no links to the "studies" and no recitation of the form of meta-analysis done to the data does not leave me (not would it leave anyone with a good basis in statistics)with any sense of certitude regarding the results. Please note that 40 studies need more than 13 cites. Point being none of your posts have answered my questions. Therefore, I'll have to assume that you don't have an answer. Best of luck.
post #269 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGrotius View Post
A quick update in the most active thread in the general forum...I brought up a number of things with my wife, some of them inspired by you guys: Q: Have you thought about PPD? A: Is this your way of making me feel bad? Q: How do you think women used to do it when they had five kids? A: I couldn't do it! Are you nuts? Q: What do you think about working again? A: Why? Why? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
She sounds a bit manipulative. She is answering a question with a question while attempting to cause you to feel shame. It is my understanding that some, not all, women go to school to get their MRS. degree.
post #270 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_jack View Post
I don't think op's wife is progressive, just lazy. I know plenty of progressive women and they understand division of labor.
+1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › 21st century women can be difficult